Overclocking a A10 7700k

R8ge

So I have the a10 7700k as the title says and I need help with overclcoking.  I have a msi a88xm gaming mobo.  When I try an overclcoking above 4 ghz I boot to windows fine,  but then windows freezes.  I can't get oc genie gear 2 to work which is 4.3 ghz but the gear 1 4.0 ghz works fine and this is what I use daily.  Any ideas on what I should do to get the oc stable and will this CPU at 4 ghz run vr with an rx 480.  Because and has released that the a 10 7890k or one of those models runs be perfectly.

vr will not happen on that cpu and you just need to up the voltage a bit, i had my 7850 k stable at 4.6ghz last winter

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

i have an 880k at 4.5 ghz at 1.48 on the vcore.

any lower than that it will crash, is that normal? ( i feel 1.48 is a bit high for a cpu )

12 minutes ago, Matt_98 said:

vr will not happen on that cpu and you just need to up the voltage a bit, i had my 7850 k stable at 4.6ghz last winter

And has said that vr can happen with a 7850 or spurns that son with an overclcoking I think r would work.  Voltage was on auto.

9 minutes ago, Mast3r_Gaming said:

And has said that vr can happen with a 7850 or spurns that son with an overclcoking I think r would work.  Voltage was on auto.

??:)

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

1 hour ago, Matt_98 said:

??:)

Amd says that one of those cpus can run vr and mine overclocked could run it.  Rip iPhone autocorrect.

1 hour ago, AmazingRez97 said:

voltage?

Voltage is on auto should it not be set to that?

32 minutes ago, Mast3r_Gaming said:

Voltage is on auto should it not be set to that?

it can be but if you dial it in manually you will get better results

PSU tier list- 

Just now, Matt_98 said:

it can be but if you dial it in manually you will get better results

I crash on anything above 4ghz so I'm assuming the msi auto volatage thingy isn't to good.

You need to do it manually  from the bios .  Oc software does a poor job.  What cooling do you have ? 

Edit : saw you have a 212 evo.  Try running 1.4v and see how far you can go .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 hour ago, Coaxialgamer said:

You need to do it manually  from the bios .  Oc software does a poor job.  What cooling do you have ? 

Edit : saw you have a 212 evo.  Try running 1.4v and see how far you can go .

K i will

3 minutes ago, Mast3r_Gaming said:

K i will

Also ,  if you don't have a black edition processor ,  your cpu ratio will be locked meaning you'll need to oc with baseclock.  If that is the case,  make sure to lower stuff like pcie ,  ram and hypertransport multipliers so that they don't go out of spec once overclocked. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

6 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Also ,  if you don't have a black edition processor ,  your cpu ratio will be locked meaning you'll need to oc with baseclock.  If that is the case,  make sure to lower stuff like pcie ,  ram and hypertransport multipliers so that they don't go out of spec once overclocked. 

I have the k version

Just now, Mast3r_Gaming said:

I have the k version

Should be fine as long as you can adjust the cpu ratio 

1 hour ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Should be fine as long as you can adjust the cpu ratio 

Yeah I can I'm just having issues with it crashing for no reason after I get into windows.  Would to much voltage cause crash?

2 hours ago, Mast3r_Gaming said:

Yeah I can I'm just having issues with it crashing for no reason after I get into windows.  Would to much voltage cause crash?

as long as your temps are in check it shouldn't be an issue. What error code do you get when bsod ?

42 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

as long as your temps are in check it shouldn't be an issue. What error code do you get when bsod ?

I don't get any error codes...:/

I don't get any error codes...:/

how did you OC ? Ratio/multiplier or baseclock ?

Just now, Coaxialgamer said:

how did you OC ? Ratio/multiplier or baseclock ?

Ratio.  

Ratio.  

before you overclocked , did you reset everything to default so that the OC genie settings weren't kept ?

10 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

before you overclocked , did you reset everything to default so that the OC genie settings weren't kept ?

No, I find this rather a hassle because my computer doesn't boot to uefi it's bios boot and this is really a annoying because I have to remove everything but my Hd from the boot order cause I'm kinda OCD. 

1 hour ago, Mast3r_Gaming said:

No, I find this rather a hassle because my computer doesn't boot to uefi it's bios boot and this is really a annoying because I have to remove everything but my Hd from the boot order cause I'm kinda OCD. 

Also accidentally had CPU at 1.7 volts lol.

53 minutes ago, Mast3r_Gaming said:

Also accidentally had CPU at 1.7 volts lol.

yeah don't do that lol

2 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

yeah don't do that lol

It was a mistake lol msi has weird voltage settings.  I got it stable at 4.3 with the preformance of an fx 6300 and semi stable on 4.4 and 4.5 requires to much voltage for my liking.