ASUS H110M-K vs ASUS B150M-A (Both DDR4)

12 minutes ago, zMeul said:

no, they don't have the same specs, they are diff chipsets .. :dry:

By the way, I've Googled around and found out that the H110M is very basic (obviously) and meant for CPU + GPU configurations as the PCIe connection is like Gen 2 and adding something fancier like a PCIe SSD will create a bottleneck. Does this apply to GPU + WiFi cards as well? The B150 chipset however offers Gen 3 performance and nearly no bottlenecks I believe. :) 

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 
Toshiba PC L200 1 TB HDD »« Microsoft Windows 10 Home »«

56 minutes ago, Freezanator said:

By the way, I've Googled around and found out that the H110M is very basic (obviously) and meant for CPU + GPU configurations as the PCIe connection is like Gen 2 and adding something fancier like a PCIe SSD will create a bottleneck. Does this apply to GPU + WiFi cards as well? The B150 chipset however offers Gen 3 performance and nearly no bottlenecks I believe. :) 

WiFi cards don't have much bandwidth needs; moreover, WiFi doesn't work in duplex mode - the radios do not send and receive data at the same time, they alternate between sending and receiving

---

let's say you have a 10gigabits/s network card and a PCIe 1x slot (gen 2 and a gen 3)

• gen2 1x slot is limited to 4 gigabits/s
  • gen3 1x slot is limited to 7.8 gigabits/s

while neither situation is ideal, the gen3 1x slot will offer you a much closer performance to what that card is capable of

Just now, zMeul said:

WiFi cards don't have much bandwidth needs; moreover, WiFi doesn't work in duplex mode - the radios do not send and receive data at the same time, they alternate between sending and receiving

---

let's say you have a 10gigabits/s network card and a PCIe 1x slot (gen 2 and a gen 3)

• gen2 1x slot is limited to 4 gigabits/s
  • gen3 1x slot is limited to 7.8 gigabits/s

while neither situation is ideal, the gen3 1x slot will offer you a much closer performance to what that card is capable of

I guess I'll just get a B150 chipset motherboard to eliminate any bottlenecks in the future such as installing a PCIe SSD. :) 

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 

3 minutes ago, Freezanator said:

I guess I'll just get a B150 chipset motherboard to eliminate any bottlenecks in the future such as installing a PCIe SSD. :) 

PCie SSDs "require" a 4x connection, but that's maximum theoretical throughput

the gen3 1x slot is good for 984.6 MB/s, again maximum theoretical throughput - this would be good enough for most consumer grade PCIe SSDs

Just now, zMeul said:

PCie SSDs "require" a 4x connection, but that's maximum theoretical throughput

the gen3 1x slot is good for 984.6 MB/s, again maximum theoretical throughput - this would be good enough for most consumer grade PCIe SSDs

So, you're saying I should just get a H110 chipset motherboard which offers roughly the same performance but at a much lower price? 

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

Just now, Freezanator said:

So, you're saying I should just get a H110 chipset motherboard which offers roughly the same performance but at a much lower price? 

no, in that use case scenario, the H110 will not be roughly the same, it will be considerably less

but you also need to consider the 1x slot is actually capable of accepting a physical 4x card

most mobos do not have open ended 1x slots, so you can't plug in anything bigger than 1x card

this is open ended PCIe 1x slot:

220px-PCIe_J1900_SoC_ITX_Mainboard_IMG_1

this is not a open ended slot:

Mini-Box-PCIe-1x-Riser-adapter-b2.jpg

can you find a diff mobo, with B150, that's in the same price range as that H110 ASUS? if yes, look at the specs and consider buying it

if you cannot, buy the cheaper H110 ASUS

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

can you find a diff mobo, B150 that's in the same price range as that H110 ASUS? if yes look at the specs and consider buying it

if you cannot, buy the cheaper H110 ASUS

No, I can't find a B150 chipset mobo in the same price range besides the ASUS B150M-A D3 but I'm worried about the memory controllers in the Skylake generation CPUs since they were made for lower voltage memory modules like DDR4 and DDR3L. :( 

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

1 minute ago, Freezanator said:

I'm worried about the memory controllers in the Skylake generation CPUs since they were made for lower voltage memory modules like DDR4 and DDR3L. :( 

umh?! what does that have to with anything!? 

Just now, zMeul said:

umh?! what does that have to with anything!? 

Yeah, when the Skylake CPUs newly released, they were made for DDR4/DDR3L. However, some mobo manufacturers made mobos which could accommodate Skylake + DDR3 although in the end the memory controllers in the CPUs were heavily strained due to the higher 1.5V voltage of the DDR3 modules compared to the 1.35V and 1.2V of DDR3L and DDR4 respectively. :) 

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

-

those mobos you linked work with DDR4, I still don't get where the problem is

Just now, zMeul said:

those mobos you linked work with DDR4, I still don't get where the problem is

No, the one I talked about in my most recent reply wasn't linked in the main topic. I just found it while browsing through my local online store and found out about the Skylake - DDR3 issue. This motherboard is the one I was recently talking about. :) 

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

2 minutes ago, Freezanator said:

This motherboard is the one I was recently talking about. :) 

there is a lot of controversy around usage of DDR3 on Skylake CPUs, Intel said it could damage the CPU in the long run - but so far, no one (afaik) murdered heir CPU with DDR3

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

there is a lot of controversy around usage of DDR3 on Skylake CPUs, Intel said it could damage theCPU in the long run, but so far no one (afaik) murdered their CPU with  DDR3

Is it worth taking the risk to save quite a sum of money? By the way, I found a B150 motherboard which has a price in between the B150M-A DDR3 and the B150M-A DDR4 but the price is no where near the H110M-K. This motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-B150M-HD3 DDR4 motherboard. The reason it is cheaper than the B150M-A DDR4 is probably having only 2 RAM slots. Do you think it is worth it? :) 

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

5 minutes ago, Freezanator said:

This motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-B150M-HD3 DDR4 motherboard. The reason it is cheaper than the B150M-A DDR4 is probably having only 2 RAM slots. Do you think it is worth it? :) 

it has a m.2 slot, so that's a plus

if the price is acceptable for you, go for it

it will also support Kaby Lake CPUs

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

it has a m.2 slot, so that's a plus

if the price is acceptable for you, go for it

Yes, definitely a plus. However, due to the extra M.2 slot, 1 of the case fan headers have been removed to make way thus I still have to get the Y-splitter to get my case fans running. Also, why does the GA-B150M-HD3 have a 8-pin CPU connector? It isn't even a Z170 mobo made for OCing.

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

2 minutes ago, Freezanator said:

why does the GA-B150M-HD3 have a 8-pin CPU connector?

most PSUs these days might not even have a 4 pin CPU connector anymore - it can be either a 4+4 or a straight-up 8

if it's a 8 pin, you might end up in trouble not being able to plug it in

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

if it's a 8 pin

If what was an 8-pin? The PSU or the mobo?

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

If what was an 8-pin? The PSU or the mobo?

the PSU

you can plug in a 4 pin EPS into a 8 pin mobo, you can plug in a 8pin EPS in a 8pin mobo

but you can't plug in a 8pin EPS in a 4pin mobo if there isn't enough room near the plug