Mid game PC Restarting

jado

In the middle of a game my pc is randomly restarting. It'll go to a light blue screen with a frowny face. Earlier I OC'd my 6600k to 4.5Ghz, atm thats the only thing that comes to mind to be a cause. Anyone know whats happening?

5 minutes ago, jado said:

In the middle of a game my pc is randomly restarting. It'll go to a light blue screen with a frowny face. Earlier I OC'd my 6600k to 4.5Ghz, atm thats the only thing that comes to mind to be a cause. Anyone know whats happening?

Your oc is either not stable or you might be having some type of hard drive issue. How long has the oc been working? What did you use to stress test it and for how long?

Unsure what power supply to pick?

Check out my HTPC build.

Quote me/others so we can help you

Comic sans is the best font

1 minute ago, Stevoisboss said:

Your oc is either not stable or you are having some type of hard drive issue. How long has the oc been working?

OC'd it about 2 hours ago what would be affecting it, the temps seem fine. I cant make sense of volts though how can i translate it to watts? (if it was a power issue0

That "blue screen and frowny face" is when a critical error hits Windows. What does it say in the error code part?

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Just now, NunoLava1998 said:

That "blue screen and frowny face" is when a critical error hits Windows. What does it say in the error code part?

Most recently it said something about memory. i don't remember exactly

Try without OC first for a while and there is no use translate watts to volts for this.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

I'm betting on the overclock being the issue. It may be just too fast. 

Just now, jado said:

Most recently it said something about memory. i don't remember exactly

Put your OC down, that looks like a memory overclock, as you're probably running a non-Skylake intel CPU, and if you overclock it, the memory gets overclocked. This was fixed in Skylake but Broadwell, Haswell and earlier does not have this fixed.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Well

Just now, Gonio said:

Try without OC first for a while and there is no use translate watts to volts for this.

I can clock it back down. If theres no translate how am I supposed to know exactly how many watts im using? 

12 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Put your OC down, that looks like a memory overclock, as you're probably running a non-Skylake intel CPU, and if you overclock it, the memory gets overclocked. This was fixed in Skylake but Broadwell, Haswell and earlier does not have this fixed.

Its a 6600k shouldn't I be able to overclock it?

22 minutes ago, jado said:

Well

I can clock it back down. If theres no translate how am I supposed to know exactly how many watts im using? 

For a OC thats not important. What is important is the voltage for the CPU. If you increase the multiplier or core clock it will overall need more power to run properly and stable.

But it helps if we know your setup, so pls tell us your specs and also what PSU you use.

Have you OCed before? If not might check out some guides or vids from Linus about it. It's not to hard to do, but a unstable system is easy to get. And that looks like the problem in this case.

14 minutes ago, jado said:

Its a 6600k shouldn't I be able to overclock it?

Overall you should be able to OC it, but you always are in the silicon lotery. Sometimes you only get a few mHz extra, sometimes a whole lot more. Anyway would not put it on that now, think it is something with your OC taht might work with proper settings.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

5 minutes ago, Gonio said:

For a OC thats not important. What is important is the voltage for the CPU. If you increase the multiplier or core clock it will overall need more power to run properly and stable.

But it helps if we know your setup, so pls tell us your specs and also what PSU you use.

Have you OCed before? If not might check out some guides or vids from Linus about it. It's not to hard to do, but a unstable system is easy to get. And that looks like the problem in this case.

Overall you should be able to OC it, but you always are in the silicon lotery. Sometimes you only get a few mHz extra, sometimes a whole lot more. Anyway would not put it on that now, think it is something with your OC taht might work with proper settings.

No this is my first system  and i havent OC'd before but i watched half of Paul's Hardwares video on it I benchmarked it and watched temps after OCing it seemed to be stable. At the moment everything is working while Im purposely trying to get the blue screen If it happenes Il tell

49 minutes ago, Gonio said:

So i was playing TF2 and it randomly froze and wouldn't ctrl alt delete so i had to turn my pc off and on again. I don't understand how my oc could effect it 

1 hour ago, Gonio said:

Also sorry I forgot the specs

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QbGX2R

9 hours ago, jado said:

the BSOD will happen on an overclock especially a serious one like that considering its on an air cooler, when the voltage is too high or too low. crank down the OC and the voltage a bit. stay under 1.3v to be safe and run a stress test like aida64 or the like to test stability.

also, do not use autoOC software on mobo's. they usually throw wayyyyy too much voltage into the equation and are not optimized.

3 hours ago, lettuce head said:

the BSOD will happen on an overclock especially a serious one like that considering its on an air cooler, when the voltage is too high or too low. crank down the OC and the voltage a bit. stay under 1.3v to be safe and run a stress test like aida64 or the like to test stability.

also, do not use autoOC software on mobo's. they usually throw wayyyyy too much voltage into the equation and are not optimized.

Right now I have it at 4 Ghz I heard aida64 is to hard on your PC Is there any other programs? 

Think AIDA is overall good enough to test and should nto be a issue.

Anyway, your CPU could maybe be overclocked more then 4, but try for a while and see if the problem persist. With OCing there is so many that can influence a stable system... Maybe you over or under volted the higher speed, so you just have to go up in small steps (like it is recommended). Think that the safe limit still is to not go over 1.4V if correct.

Anyway overall OCing goes like this: you start form the factory settings and dial up the multiplier of CPU until it does not work, you then up the voltage until it runs stable. After that it is rince and repeat. Obviously you can make bigger steps in beginning to find a spot that should voerall be doable for 80%. For your CPU I would go to 4.2 maybe 4.3 first and see if you can get it stable by upping the voltage. After that I would go with only 1 step up from the multiplier only until you reach the point where you can't get it stable anymore or are going over the safe limit of the voltage.

This ofcourse assuming that temperatures stay on a acceptable lvl under load and don't overheat. You will encounter this relatively fast since you have no highend CPU cooler. I personally find anything under 80 degrees Celcius acceptable under load but thats a personal prefference. Anyway if someone like me can OC, so can you. I am also no pro OCer, I just read a lot about it.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

7 hours ago, Gonio said:

Think AIDA is overall good enough to test and should nto be a issue.

Anyway, your CPU could maybe be overclocked more then 4, but try for a while and see if the problem persist. With OCing there is so many that can influence a stable system... Maybe you over or under volted the higher speed, so you just have to go up in small steps (like it is recommended). Think that the safe limit still is to not go over 1.4V if correct.

Anyway overall OCing goes like this: you start form the factory settings and dial up the multiplier of CPU until it does not work, you then up the voltage until it runs stable. After that it is rince and repeat. Obviously you can make bigger steps in beginning to find a spot that should voerall be doable for 80%. For your CPU I would go to 4.2 maybe 4.3 first and see if you can get it stable by upping the voltage. After that I would go with only 1 step up from the multiplier only until you reach the point where you can't get it stable anymore or are going over the safe limit of the voltage.

This ofcourse assuming that temperatures stay on a acceptable lvl under load and don't overheat. You will encounter this relatively fast since you have no highend CPU cooler. I personally find anything under 80 degrees Celcius acceptable under load but thats a personal prefference. Anyway if someone like me can OC, so can you. I am also no pro OCer, I just read a lot about it.

Right now I have it at 4.1Ghz at 1.2 volts. It works in stress tests running at around 40C-50C Im going to trying playing and hope it doesn't crash

9 hours ago, jado said:

Right now I have it at 4.1Ghz at 1.2 volts. It works in stress tests running at around 40C-50C Im going to trying playing and hope it doesn't crash

those are excellent numbers to be at. you should have a very good experience with the life of the cpu with those numbers.