5820K X99 vs 6700K Z170

distantcam

Hey all. I'm building a new desktop machine for myself, and I'm trying to decide between a Z170 and an X99 build.

Z170 - http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/KF6BTH

X99 - http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/grg3HN

I'm using an NCASE M1 and don't really care about internal aesthetics. I want this machine to perform while being reasonably quiet.

I'm a software engineer, and I run various virtual machines, hence the high memory requirement. I also game, but I usually play more indie games (Factorio, Subnautica, KSP), but the other reason for the new machine is I want to get ready for Mass Effect Andromeda when that comes out. My monitor is the Acer X34 Predator.

Which build should I use? Any other changes you'd recommend? Let me know. Thanks

If you don't game that much, I would go with the 5820K, I think it would perform better.

I have a 6700K, I like it a lot, it's great, but I build my rig for gamming.

I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Edit : Typo

I tend to always have 1-2 running, but they're usually idling. Currently I have a Docker host VM and a Linux desktop VM (the native OS is Windows). I occasionally run more for experimental stuff.

i've got a 5820K myself, and it is great for multitasking. if you are always running VMs then you will benefit from the extra two cores. it is also a good overclocker, i've been able to get to 4.3 Ghz without hassle.

25 minutes ago, distantcam said:

I tend to always have 1-2 running, but they're usually idling. Currently I have a Docker host VM and a Linux desktop VM (the native OS is Windows). I occasionally run more for experimental stuff.

If you indeed use VM's then the 5820k is definitely the way to go and as flackjack4 notes the 5820k is an excellent overclocker. 

Looking at your build, might I suggest a blower style cooler on your GPU? In a case this small it might be wise to exhaust the heat out the back so you don't blow hot air directly on to your hard drive mounted in the bottom. There also seems to be compatibility issues with the corsair H105, remember the ASRock X99E uses a narrow socket, so cooling support is limited. 

1 minute ago, VanguardScar said:

If you indeed use VM's then the 5820k is definitely the way to go and as flackjack4 notes the 5820k is an excellent overclocker. 

Looking at your build, might I suggest a blower style cooler on your GPU? In a case this small it might be wise to exhaust the heat out the back so you don't blow hot air directly on to your hard drive mounted in the bottom. There also seems to be compatibility issues with the corsair H105, remember the ASRock X99E uses a narrow socket, so cooling support is limited. 

I thought about a blower GPU. Would it be noisier?

Yes I'm aware of the ASRock X99E/H105 incompatibility. I'll have to get an adaptor of ebay if I want to hook them together. That extra hassle, and the extra cost, is why I'm not sure about the X99 build.

9 minutes ago, distantcam said:

I thought about a blower GPU. Would it be noisier?

Yes, a little,  but the latest generation are still comfortable enough to have nearby and not be bothered by the noise. Anandtech has a breakdown of noise compared to reference designs and you can see the 1070 is on of the quietest they've tested. The cooling potential in the limited space is the biggest advantage though.

Idle Noise Levels

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/30

12 minutes ago, distantcam said:

Yes I'm aware of the ASRock X99E/H105 incompatibility. I'll have to get an adaptor of ebay if I want to hook them together. That extra hassle, and the extra cost, is why I'm not sure about the X99 build.

Sorry, I can't really make that decision for you. Unless there is any specific features of Skylake you absolutely must have then I think it comes down to; the 6700k is much simpler to setup, but the extra performance of the 5820k might be worth the work.