Laptop issues

Mikius10001

Hey all,

My mom has a bit of an old Acer laptop and it SOUNDS like the fan is just ramping up crazy fast for apparently no reason. Teh laptop sits where it always has so I don't think that it's over heating. It just ramps up, keeps spinning fast, then the laptop freezes and needs to be hard reset. Any ideas?

3 minutes ago, Mikius10001 said:

Hey all,

My mom has a bit of an old Acer laptop and it SOUNDS like the fan is just ramping up crazy fast for apparently no reason. Teh laptop sits where it always has so I don't think that it's over heating. It just ramps up, keeps spinning fast, then the laptop freezes and needs to be hard reset. Any ideas?

Take it apart and dust it.

13 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Just buy a used laptop, from BestBuy.

That is terrible advice....

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

I would disassemble the laptop, clean it out and apply new thermal compound on the CPU. Be sure to wipe down the old one with a little rubbing alcohol and a tissue.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

2 minutes ago, Icuw1pc said:

That is terrible advice....

Why, they are so cheap!

Which could go either way.......

Laptops are so cheap!

or

Person is cheap!

Just now, Canada EH said:

Why, they are so cheap!

Because... why waste that money if thermal paste is only $11....and cheap doesn't mean good which would put him in the same situation..

Just because you have money and you think they are cheap doesn't mean everyone does.

Just now, Icuw1pc said:

Just because you have money and you think they are cheap doesn't mean everyone does.

This day in age, its a throw away society.

I was trying to be funny. But that tells a lot.

$11 is a cheap fix for an old outdated laptop.

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

This day in age, its a throw away society.

I was trying to be funny. But that tells a lot.

$11 is a cheap fix for an old outdated laptop.

What does it matter if things are old and outdated? if it works for what you use it for why change ?

I use a 2011 Macbook Pro, Thinkpad T420, T520, X220.. These are all old computers, yet I still use them and they are more than capable of handling the work that I throw at it.

• 2 weeks later...

@Jed M @Icuw1pc Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I have since disassembled the laptop almost in it's entirety and reassembled it. It' snot running much smoother which is nice as is no longer making a loud 48000 RPM fan noise (yes that was an exaggeration) but it seems to still be freezing up. The freezes not, the fan just instantly firsts up to max RPM and then freezes, no transition any more. Just thought you guys might have some more insight. I was thinking maybe a software issue with the fan curve, but it all seems normal.

50 minutes ago, Mikius10001 said:

@Jed M @Icuw1pc Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I have since disassembled the laptop almost in it's entirety and reassembled it. It' snot running much smoother which is nice as is no longer making a loud 48000 RPM fan noise (yes that was an exaggeration) but it seems to still be freezing up. The freezes not, the fan just instantly firsts up to max RPM and then freezes, no transition any more. Just thought you guys might have some more insight. I was thinking maybe a software issue with the fan curve, but it all seems normal.

What are you doing when it freezes? It used to happen to me all the time on my old laptop whenever I did specific things like trying to use applications from a USB, etc. 

@Jed M It is my moms laptop, but she has told me that it ONLY happens when she is using the program Kodi to stream some movies or TV.

On 11/18/2016 at 6:12 PM, Mikius10001 said:

@Jed M It is my moms laptop, but she has told me that it ONLY happens when she is using the program Kodi to stream some movies or TV.

What exactly is she streaming? Just a heads there is a lawsuit in the makings on the legality off that application. 

@Icuw1pc We both know she is streaming things that she probably shouldn't be, haha. Is that Lawsuit in Canada as well? I could only find stuff about it in the US, and even then it's primarily about how retailers were told to stop selling the boxes which has obviously been lifted as they still do.

7 minutes ago, Mikius10001 said:

@Icuw1pc We both know she is streaming things that she probably shouldn't be, haha. Is that Lawsuit in Canada as well? I could only find stuff about it in the US, and even then it's primarily about how retailers were told to stop selling the boxes which has obviously been lifted as they still do.

It would be for anywhere with piracy laws, and some things depend on your ISP who can disconnect your service or go for legal grounds.

PM sent.