I'm really confused about backup types

monk3y

So, I ran a full backup yesterday of all my files. I now want to just backup whatever has changed since the last backup on a daily basis. Should I perform an incremental backup or a differential backup? Is there a difference?

What are you using to perform these backups?

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

1 minute ago, Luc401 said:

What are you using to perform these backups?

EaseUS Backup Free

Differential backup is backing up only the files that have changed.

Incremental backup is saving the differences of those files. This is a space saving measure if you want file history, otherwise the backup may copy the whole file. So for example, if you have a 10KB file and make a 1KB addition, a differential backup will save just the 1KB you added and the file will be 11KB total in the backup. Otherwise it'll save the entire 11KB and now this file in your back up consumes 21KB.

Edited by M.Yurizaki
I got my backups reversed

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Incremental backup is backing up only the files that have changed.

Differential backup is saving the differences of those files. This is a space saving measure if you want file history, otherwise the backup may copy the whole file. So for example, if you have a 10KB file and make a 1KB addition, a differential backup will save just the 1KB you added and the file will be 11KB total in the backup. Otherwise it'll save the entire 11KB and now this file in your back up consumes 21KB.

I thought incremental backs up everything changed since the last incremental backup while differential backs up all changes since the last Full backup.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

This site explains it better than I ever could
http://www.codetwo.com/admins-blog/difference-differential-incremental-backup/

I would suggest just using Incremental, since it backs up everything since the last incremental backup, while differential backup everything since the last Full backup, so if you want a daily backup kind of thing, I hope you have a ton of free space if you opt for Differential.

Though if you want to save even more space, consider buying Acronis. I tried EaseUS Backup Free(and many others, like Macrium free) before and the backup sizes were a hell of a lot bigger than what Acronis can do with the same files.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You're right, I got them reversed.

I don't know if that's always the case, but that's how it is in veritas backup exec(what the last company I worked for used).

It makes sense because an incremental backs up the changes between each increment while the differential backs up the difference since the last full backup.

I think this is correct but I'm not 100%

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

6 minutes ago, B3h3m0th said:

I now have no idea what's true this thread and my head hurts

Incremental backup everything since the last Incremental backup, resulting in smaller files but longer to access if you want to restore.(maybe a a few seconds longer after a few increments.) 

Differential backup everything the last FULL backup, resulting is much bigger files but faster to access if you want to restore.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

21 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Incremental backup everything since the last Incremental backup, resulting in smaller files but longer to access if you want to restore.(maybe a a few seconds longer after a few increments.) 

Differential backup everything the last FULL backup, resulting is much bigger files but faster to access if you want to restore.

^^^^^ Correct. Final Answer.

33 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Thanks lol