32bit to 64bit

Fluxus

IF I have a 32bit CPU installed in a mobo can I just change it and add a 64bit CPU with no problems? Do I have to reinstall windows?

What CPU and what mobo?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

What CPU do you have? There aren't really many 32-bit only CPUs anymore....

Regardless of your CPU, to install 64 bit windows, you HAVE to do a full re-install.

When in doubt, re-format.

2 minutes ago, Fluxus said:

IF I have a 32bit CPU installed in a mobo can I just change it and add a 64bit CPU with no problems? Do I have to reinstall windows?

It depends on the architecture. You make it sound design like you're using some legacy hardware. You're going to have to specify your hardware so we can give you a correct answer.

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

What CPU and what mobo?

It's an old Core 2 Duo E7400 machine. I want to use it as a home theatre machine. I got a deal for a Q8200 so I'm wondering if I can just swop CPU's without having to reinstall windows.

Just now, Fluxus said:

It's an old Core 2 Duo E7400 machine. I want to use it as a home theatre machine. I got a deal for a Q8200 so I'm wondering if I can just swop CPU's without having to reinstall windows.

The Q8200 can also run 32-bit windows. So you should be fine. (although there can sometimes be issues running an old-windows install with new hardware).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Swapping CPU's should work, but youll still have 32-bit. Switching between architectures REQUIRES a re-install. It cannot be "upgraded"

That being said, running 64-bit wont really change anything besides allowing you to have more than 4bg of ram.

When in doubt, re-format.

If the socket is the same it should work just fine. You may not need to reinstall windows, however if you don't you'll be running a 32 bit version of the OS regardless of what your cpu is capable of.

3 minutes ago, Fluxus said:

With all of the above in mind, your current cpu is actually 64 bit as well. Not sure why you think otherwise.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

64 bit cpus can run 32 bit software.

Should work fine.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

If the socket is the same it should work just fine. You may not need to reinstall windows, however if you don't you'll be running a 32 bit version of the OS regardless of what your cpu is capable of.

With all of the above in mind, your current cpu is actually 64 bit as well. Not sure why you think otherwise.

Oh shit, facepalm. I just found that out right now :P I guess the previous owner of this machine did the same thing i wanna do. Thanks to all that helped.