Need Help Deciding on Final Parts for X99 Build

Go to solution Solved by Gonio,

For the AIO go with the X61, better performer then your mentioned and not as expensive as the new follow up X62 (atleast here in NL since you talk in euro's). Also the NZXT ones can run more silent then the Corsairs The X52 is also new henche why so expensive because these where recently released. For performance overall the bigger rad the better since it's more area for cooling. The mentioned X61 has a 280 rad.

For CPU I would go 6800K. On it's own and for your work use it's a bit better performer and can atleast OC just as high or higher overall to what I read. But up to if you find it worth that extra dosh.

The 1070 seems like  a fine choice. As for the 980Ti mentioned it really depends on use scenario: they are trading blows mostly. But there are some situations it seems where the 1070 shines over the 980Ti for his workloads. Combined with the better gaming performance (even though that is not highest priority) would stay with the 1070.

Hey guys,

seeing how my 8 year old rig (with a couple of minor and/or major upgrades under its hood) is starting to feel more and more like a sloth, i really think it's time to upgrade to something much more powerful that will hold me over for the next 4-5 years. The new rig should be able to handle anything content creation related with ease given that i want to ramp up my possibilities in Adobe Suite as well as some rendering software. So i've done some research and came up with somewhat of a build, though there are still some places where i'm hesitant to fully decide on a definite choice.

Budget: ~2000

CPU: i7 5820K (~390) / i7 6800K (~440)

Now, i'm like 90% sure the 5820K is going to be the heart and soul of this build because i read the 6800K doesn't overclock as good and given the 50€ price difference it's a no-brainer. Still i'm throwing it out there in case i'm overlooking something.

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i (~120) / NZXT Kraken X52 (~150)

Going AIO for the first time for two main reasons: don't want a big and heavy tower cooler hanging off the mobo and the AIO looks nicer. Price difference is negligible though i'm inclined to go for the Kraken here. I do have one more question though: 240 or 280 rad for a 10€ difference? Case should be able to handle both with no problems.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI (~250) / Asus X99-A II (~250) / Asus ROG Strix X99 (~300) / MSI X99A Gaming Carbon (~300)

As i see it, they're all great and performance-wise most likely equal but there are some small differences between them that leave me wondering. And this is where i would like some feedback from users with hands-on experience. Be it UEFI interface, Software Suite, component stability, customer support or anything else. Anything that might guarantee a smooth run or help avoid problems down the road is appreciated. 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB @ 3000 (~190€)

Not much to go wrong here (even if it's a bit too much). At least i hope so :)

Storage: 850 EVO SSD - 250GB (purchased) + PM961 M.2 - 256GB (~100) + 2x 1TB HDDs (~100€)

Not much to say here either. SSD will run my OS, M.2 will act as cache disk for different programs and 2 HDDs for storing stuff.

GPU: Asus GTX 1070 STRIX (~470€)

Running a GTX 960 now for casual to moderate gaming. Given the performance improvement I think the 1070 will deliver more than enough as well for gaming as for encoding or rendering (but will most likely be added at a later time).

Case: Fractal Design Define C (~85)

Was looking to decide between the Define S and the R5 until this gem was released a few days ago.

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W (~130€)

Here's to enough watts to run stock or OC and still have a bit of head-room left over.

This is it. I've been trying to piece everything together based on what i need and want even if it's a bit overkill in some aspects. Given the time of the year (Black Friday, Christmas and all that) i'm also looking to maybe snag some great deals on some of the components. So let me know what you think or what you would do different.

Regards,

kyuu

3 minutes ago, Miller1218 said:

I would look at a 980ti instead of the 1070, the 980ti has more cuda

you could even try to find a used titan x or titan xp

For the AIO go with the X61, better performer then your mentioned and not as expensive as the new follow up X62 (atleast here in NL since you talk in euro's). Also the NZXT ones can run more silent then the Corsairs The X52 is also new henche why so expensive because these where recently released. For performance overall the bigger rad the better since it's more area for cooling. The mentioned X61 has a 280 rad.

For CPU I would go 6800K. On it's own and for your work use it's a bit better performer and can atleast OC just as high or higher overall to what I read. But up to if you find it worth that extra dosh.

The 1070 seems like  a fine choice. As for the 980Ti mentioned it really depends on use scenario: they are trading blows mostly. But there are some situations it seems where the 1070 shines over the 980Ti for his workloads. Combined with the better gaming performance (even though that is not highest priority) would stay with the 1070.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list