SSD Slowing Down Under Load

Go to solution Solved by Gonio,

Am no expert, so some one that knows exactly might confirm or rectify the following if I am wrong, but think your specific SSD is not very suited for that specific use scenario with that small ammount of room left. Atleast I think thats going on

If a SSD is used constantly to write to (the recording) the steady state performance will drop significant over time. Since your SSD is filled up for around 75 +% it's good possible that on all blocks there is something written and during recording it has no time to manage it what results in dropping to a certain lvl of performance. Overall this is after several minutes, but depending on how much room there is left, this can ofcourse happen faster.

Your SSD is a budget SSD that for that specific task does not have the highest results. Very likely with the reasoning from above that this is the cause then. But as said could be way off.

System Specs:

CPU: i3 6100

GPU: RX 480

MoBo: ASUS Z170-P

PSU: Corsair VS450

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (single stick to allow future upgrade)

SSD: Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB

Case: Thermaltake Versa H24

Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit 

I have plans of putting a 2TB storage drive in there later on this month.

Anyway, I tried to record gameplay using Dxtory and I noticed that after a few seconds the video would cut down to about 8fps considering i had the recording limit set to 30. This was strange because I was still getting about 250fps in game so this was odd. Long story short, I benchmarked the SSD using CDMark and also the inbuilt benchmarking service in Dxtory. Both showed a similar issue. The SSD would run at about 400MB/s for about 5 seconds. It would then sharply decrease as time goes on. Looking at Task Manager while this was going on, I noticed that the slow down started the second that the SSD hit 100% load. This sharply cut my speeds and I believe this is the reason why I have had issues with recording. 

I currently have about 30GB free storage left on the SSD (as I said, storage drive coming soon) but I didn't expect the SSD to shit itself every time it gets under load.

What are my options? Can I fix this?

Cheers for any help and I have included screenshots of my benchmarks below.

Screenshot 1 shows the result from the CDMark benchmark.
Screenshot 2 shows a 1gb benchmark. I have noticed that in the time that it takes for this benchmark to finish, the SSD does not reach 100% load.

Screenshot 3 shows the loads observed during the benchmark shown in capture 4 which is a 3gb benchmark. Notice how the disk is at 99% load yet is only running at 60MB/s 

Screenshot 4 shows the result from the 3gb benchmark

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

While I'm not sure what the problem is, I'd like to both say welcome to the forum, and thank you for being so descript!

It's quite rare for someone to have that much information when they have a problem, let alone a new member.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

While I'm not sure what the problem is, I'd like to both say welcome to the forum, and thank you for being so descript!

It's quite rare for someone to have that much information when they have a problem, let alone a new member.

Thanks! I have used other forums before so I understand the general idea is that you need to give as much info as you can so you can be helped!

I've had loads of issues with tech before so I know the procedure by now xD

Am no expert, so some one that knows exactly might confirm or rectify the following if I am wrong, but think your specific SSD is not very suited for that specific use scenario with that small ammount of room left. Atleast I think thats going on

If a SSD is used constantly to write to (the recording) the steady state performance will drop significant over time. Since your SSD is filled up for around 75 +% it's good possible that on all blocks there is something written and during recording it has no time to manage it what results in dropping to a certain lvl of performance. Overall this is after several minutes, but depending on how much room there is left, this can ofcourse happen faster.

Your SSD is a budget SSD that for that specific task does not have the highest results. Very likely with the reasoning from above that this is the cause then. But as said could be way off.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

28 minutes ago, Gonio said:

42 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Seems to be a normal problem! (I have an SSD since a few weeks, so also still learning...)

http://www.howtogeek.com/165542/why-solid-state-drives-slow-down-as-you-fill-them-up/

I think this may be right as all of the other things I have tried to do have not worked. I will be buying a HDD tomorrow and i'll move most of my files over to it. I'll keep you guys posted on whether it helps or not!