PS4 Party Chat DDoS?!

jappypack

This shouldn't be surprising considering it's the internet, but during PS4 party chats, the P2P connection allows script kiddies to DDoS others. I'm not a networking expert by any means, but I'm wondering if Sony could create a barrier between the P2P connection through party-chats, sort of like a VPN. This at least decreases the vulnerability of getting your IP attacked with data packets. Of course, the user could use a VPN themselves, however these console services are meant to be "plug and play" and a lot of consumers wouldn't know about VPN's in the first place. The average consumer wouldn't know what a Denial of Service attack as, as well as how to stop the incident (by resetting their router/using a VPN). But if you think about it, you ARE paying PS Plus for online multiplayer (I know party chat is free, but if your internet connection gets taken down, you can't access PS Plus!) So in my opinion, Sony do have responsibility for the DoS attacks that happens within their services.

Well guess who was a victim to these kinds of incidents - me!

This has convinced me not voice chat with randomers who are probably going to squeak at me if I ever make them angry, and kick me offline with their program. (This isn't hacking, and so it seems kinda crazy how massive companies such as SONY are getting their servers taken down, as well as their consumers being "booted offline" due to KIDS doing something which is actually really simple (but I do NOT condone it for these purposes, whatsoever and therefore do not intend to actually list how they do it). Yet, these companies make you pay for their servers, after all the bad server infrastructure.

I'm not intending to attack consoles at all; I grew up with consoles! However, my opinion is leaning away from consoles (and gaming in general), but this post is just giving my experience with the PS4 and I'm wondering what ways there are to fix it. If you love the PS4, that's great and I have no problem with anyone on Playstation,  Xbox, Nintendo or PC.

Someone can only Ddos you if they know your external IP address, and if that ever happens just shutoff your router and then turn it back on, with dynamic IP addresses it will constantly change usually every week or so, or when it shuts down.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •