acer predator g3620 upgrade problems

adnartion
Go to solution Solved by ApolloX75,
4 hours ago, adnartion said:

i just updated the bios from  P01-A1 to  P01-A2. it still wont boot when i put in the 780. i have read a lot of forums and i see that some people can just install a new card and it will work instantly. other people who cant get the their cards to work seem to never get it working. does anyone have an idea why?

i have turned off secure boot btw. and this bios is very plain and simple so there is no option to enable Launch CSM, 

I've honestly found more instances of an upgrade not working than anything else. It's likely there was more than one revision for the motherboard that may be why the BIOS updates don't all work. Also I don't think using Windows 10 vs Windows 8 or 7 makes a difference, not in this case anyways. 

From what I've found with further searching it will either work or not. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, and the most common solution is "buy a new motherboard" which isn't exactly an easy thing to do now.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Hello, i am currently trying to upgrade my friends acer predator g3620. it had an nvidia 620 inside and i am trying to put an 780 in there. it fits perfectly and i have upgraded the psu to a 750w. i have also moded the side panel with a extra fan to make upp for the extra heat.

now the problems start. 

It boots just fine with the new psu and the OLD gpu.

but when i try to install the 780 it will not boot i just see the acer screen then it beeps 1 time waits for 30 sec then it goes to a black screen with a blinking _ in the top right corner.

i have read that acer may have done something in the bios to stop users from upgrading it?

the pc was a win 7 but i have upgradad it to a win 10 to disable secure boot and this did not help.

to be clear i cant disable secure boot in the bios just in the msconfig. dont know if this will help?

now i am currently stuck and dont know how to get past it. can anyone help? the MOBO name is just acer predator g3620 and it is bios version: American Megatrends Inc P01-A1 date 3/12/2012

if anyone can come upp with a fix i will be a very happy man. 

I would try updating the BIOS to the newest version available on the Acer website. Seems to be version P11.B1. You'll need to have the GT 630 in to do it, but afterwards disable secure boot and enable Launch CSM in the BIOS and then install the new card. From what I have read so far that seems to have the most success.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

do you have a link to the bios upodate?

1 minute ago, adnartion said:

do you have a link to the bios upodate?

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers is all I can really give you. Use the Search By Product Model field and just enter G3620, it should auto populate Predator G3620 for you.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

does it mather that i am runing a windows 10 os.? it says bios-uefi for windows 8 (not for upgrades) on the website

when i try flashing the bios i just get a error mesage saying error ROM file size does not match existing Bios size.

dosnt this mean that it is the wrong bios update?

i just updated the bios from  P01-A1 to  P01-A2. it still wont boot when i put in the 780. i have read a lot of forums and i see that some people can just install a new card and it will work instantly. other people who cant get the their cards to work seem to never get it working. does anyone have an idea why?

i have turned off secure boot btw. and this bios is very plain and simple so there is no option to enable Launch CSM, 

4 hours ago, adnartion said:

I've honestly found more instances of an upgrade not working than anything else. It's likely there was more than one revision for the motherboard that may be why the BIOS updates don't all work. Also I don't think using Windows 10 vs Windows 8 or 7 makes a difference, not in this case anyways. 

From what I've found with further searching it will either work or not. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, and the most common solution is "buy a new motherboard" which isn't exactly an easy thing to do now.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

its all good. i gave it upp figured pretty much the same as you eighter it works or it wont work. and in my case it didnt :/