automatic random file name change USB - possible?

Fredrikmikael

Hello i had this thought that would be kinda neat if possible.

Let's say you have an USB drive with several songs you use for music while driving and it's songs are listed like:

• 1. songnameA - ArtistA
  • 2. songnameB - ArtistB
  • 3. songnameC - ArtistC

but you want the songs shuffled every time it's plugged in/receives power so the songs order would be random (where the #. would be changed) so you would end up with a list that MAY look like this:

• 1. SongnameC - ArtistC
  • 2. SongnameB - ArtistB
  • 3. SongnameA - ArtistA

Here would the list be "randomized"

I imagine this could be executed with a self executing script that runs as soon as this gets power, somewhat like the USB Rubber Ducky http://usbrubberducky.com/

But it would have to be applied differently since the rubbery ducky uses a script that utilizes windows commands and keystrokes.

I am aware that such a thing i am trying to describe would have to use a specific type of USB-Drive chip that is capable of running automatic scripts.

TL;DR: is it possible to write a self executing script that can change filenames of the files a drive contains without going trough an operating system / just getting power?

I am sorry of my explanation is lacking or badly described :)

System

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @4.5GHz - 1.230v  RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 4x4GB 2666MHz  MB: MSI X99S SLI PLUS  CASE: NZXT H440  CPU-COOLER: Fractal Design Kelvin S24  PSU: Corsair RM1000W w/ white sleeved cable kit  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR  MONITOR: LG 27GL850-B  STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB,  WD Red 3TB

doesn't your player support random searching? You could get a raspberry pi and plug it into that first to randomize the tracks

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

On 11/7/2016 at 7:49 PM, fringie said:

OP, do you want this for your car?

Yeah :P

System

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @4.5GHz - 1.230v  RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 4x4GB 2666MHz  MB: MSI X99S SLI PLUS  CASE: NZXT H440  CPU-COOLER: Fractal Design Kelvin S24  PSU: Corsair RM1000W w/ white sleeved cable kit  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR  MONITOR: LG 27GL850-B  STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB,  WD Red 3TB

On 11/6/2016 at 8:35 AM, vorticalbox said:

doesn't your player support random searching? You could get a raspberry pi and plug it into that first to randomize the tracks

Wasn't aware that there are players that have that functionality :o, and using a raspberry pi didn't cross my mind.

Thanks for the info \o/ 

System

Spoiler