NAS Help and configuration

Hi all,

First post and hoping you can help me out with my current situation.

I'm looking for some suggestions of what to get, please note they need to be available in the UK.

Im looking to get a NAS for myself firstly to be able to use uTorrent or bittorrent, it will be for 1080p or higher resolution movies (4k). 2 bays (or more though not priority) is what im looking for enclosure only.

Im also looking for a NAS for my parents that i can setup to copy files from a folder that i would have in my own home. They may also be using it for recording CCTV from two cameras in 720 or 1080p 30fps on a 1 week loop.

Any suggestions would be great I am looking not to burst the bank with regards to budget.

Thanks!

- Ryan

Synology NASes might work, what type of cameras are the cctv cameras?

UTC/GMT (Except during BST)

11 minutes ago, MineblockTechTips said:

Synology NASes might work, what type of cameras are the cctv cameras?

They have not yet been selected. This is all trying to plan ahead to weigh up his options, my parents arnt very computer literate so im doing this all for them but my knowledge of NASes is near non existent

10 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id get a midrange synology.

They will do these tasks just fine. 

Torrenting uses very little cpu, and a basic CCTV system also uses very little cpu.

Here is what id get https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/DS416

You can save a few bucks and get the 2 bay version if you'd like

Something like this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Synology-DS216PLAY-Bay-Desktop-Enclosure/dp/B015JQAWW0/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1478386857&sr=1-3&keywords=synology+2+bay

I was unable to find a 2bay ds416 :(

3 minutes ago, RyanPGUK said:

They have not yet been selected. This is all trying to plan ahead to weigh up his options, my parents arnt very computer literate so im doing this all for them but my knowledge of NASes is near non existent

Something like this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Synology-DS216PLAY-Bay-Desktop-Enclosure/dp/B015JQAWW0/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1478386857&sr=1-3&keywords=synology+2+bay

I was unable to find a 2bay ds416 :(

That will work fine.

1 minute ago, MineblockTechTips said:

whe your planning if you are getting a synology,

look up what cameras work with it :)

I will ensure this is taken into consideration. As said, hoping to get some guidance first! But thank you for your reply, i do majorly appreciate it :)

1 minute ago, RyanPGUK said:

I will ensure this is taken into consideration. As said, hoping to get some guidance first! But thank you for your reply, i do majorly appreciate it :)

No problem! Maybe staying up helping peeps was a good idea!

UTC/GMT (Except during BST)

21 minutes ago, RyanPGUK said:

recording CCTV

there are specialty drives for this. they are designed for 24/7 writing. The WD purple comes to mind but they do have competition. As always I purchase based on warranty length; don't want your data drive to die.

Theres a bunch of 6W intel celeron based fanless m-ITX boards out there that will suit your torrenting requirements.

As it is just you and your parents using these systems you should put a proper backup solution as priority over redundancy. You should have at least one, but preferably two backup drives. i.e. dont go for RAID1, 5, 6, 10; if it means you can't afford a backup USB drive. Don't keep your backup drive connected to the NAS. It should be stored in another location and rotated with another drive off site; for the reason that if you are robbed, struck by lightning, or your house is burnt down, you will not also loose your backups. Its unbelievable how many people keep their USB backups permanently connected to their PC.

Dont design a high speed RAID0 multi-drive setup if your network cannot perform at the same speed. Its more cost effective to just get one large drive. Theres little benefit in a multi-drive RAID0 setup that can write at 250mb/s if your gigabit lan port and ADSL modem cannot perform at those speeds.

You might want to consider UPS for the CCTV. You dont want to loose a recording if a crook turns off your mains.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

15 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

there are specialty drives for this. they are designed for 24/7 writing. The WD purple comes to mind but they do have competition. As always I purchase based on warranty length; don't want your data drive to die.

Theres a bunch of 6W intel celeron based fanless m-ITX boards out there that will suit your torrenting requirements.

As it is just you and your parents using these systems you should put a proper backup solution as priority over redundancy. You should have at least one, but preferably two backup drives. i.e. dont go for RAID1, 5, 6, 10; if it means you can't afford a backup USB drive. Don't keep your backup drive connected to the NAS. It should be stored in another location and rotated with another drive off site; for the reason that if you are robbed, struck by lightning, or your house is burnt down, you will not also loose your backups. Its unbelievable how many people keep their USB backups permanently connected to their PC.

Dont design a high speed RAID0 multi-drive setup if your network cannot perform at the same speed. Its more cost effective to just get one large drive. Theres little benefit in a multi-drive RAID0 setup that can write at 250mb/s if your gigabit lan port and ADSL modem cannot perform at those speeds.

You might want to consider UPS for the CCTV. You dont want to loose a recording if a crook turns off your mains.

Crime rate in their area is extremely low, but it's just a precaution and have thankfully only had a powercut once in 4 years so a UPS would not be that major. I would prefer to keep torrenting within my NAS and not theirs but would like the ability to mirror a folder from my NAS to theirs.

High speed isnt an issue either for them, I did consider the WD Purple and still do.

Just trying to sort out the ability to mirror a folder from my NAS to their NAS but allowing my NAS to torrent and theirs to record CCTV :)