BCLK overclocking?

I know there used to be a way you could overclock a non k sky-lake cpu by overclocking the bclk. is this still a thing?

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

I remember someone saying on here a week or so back that there was a patch so that it can't be done anymore, a few months ago if i remember correctly.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

I overlcocked my board's BCLK a few months ago, so it's possible. Whether or not the motherboard manufacturer will let you do it is another thing.

what board have you got

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

9 minutes ago, Matt_98 said:

I know there used to be a way you could overclock a non k sky-lake cpu by overclocking the bclk. is this still a thing?

With the newer bioses you can't get them to 5+ Ghz anymore, but you should be able to bump it up another 100MHz or so, but not enough really to be worth it.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

ASUS Z170i.

You probably won't want it because it's a mini-ITX board. :)

I have the ATX version

PSU tier list- 

Base clock overclocking is much more difficult than overclocking the multiplier. The reason for this is that the base clock affects much more than just the CPU frequency. It affects memory frequency, PCI frequency, among others. This can introduce a lot of instability unless your motherboard allows you to decouple those frequencies from BCLK.

I have done it before, but only on a mobo that lets me decouple the frequency. 

Basically, you can't simply increase BCLK like you can the multiplier and expect other things to work. You often have to downclock the RAM at the very least. 

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

ASUS Z170i.

You probably won't want it because it's a mini-ITX board. :)

Found this in AI suit, is this how you did it

Capture.PNG

PSU tier list- 

11 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Base clock overclocking is much more difficult than overclocking the multiplier. The reason for this is that the base clock affects much more than just the CPU frequency. It affects memory frequency, PCI frequency, among others.

This is not entirely the case with Skylake. BCLK and PCIe have dedicated reference clocks so you can push BCLK a bit more on Skylake processors.slide-3.png

Just now, spartanvi said:

This is not entirely the case with Skylake. BCLK and PCIe have dedicated reference clocks so you can push BCLK a bit more on Skylake processors.

Interesting. Didn't know that. I've only tried BCLK OCing on old C2Ds. Everything else that I've OCed has been with the multiplier. 

27 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Interesting. Didn't know that. I've only tried BCLK OCing on old C2Ds. Everything else that I've OCed has been with the multiplier. 

Same I learned about this the hard way trying to push a Xeon E5450 (LGA775 mod) on a board with laughable OC'ing features.