Tools/Gadgets to use to learn programing?

InvertedGPR

I'm in this club at my school where we were visited by a ceo of a company where and he taught us a little programming through this little computer thing called the Brain Pad where we could command it to do stuff.

I was wondering if there were more gadgets like this to help me learn programming. Or should I just forget that idea and learn without a gadet like that?

id honestly just go and learn a language on your computer

pick one

C++ or python

either one are good choices

grab an ide and if you need good tutorials just ask

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Learning a language is nice, but instead of learning multiple ones, I would learn one that seems interesting and start creating things with it. Once you reach a point where it's not cutting it anymore, or your just bored of writing in it, switch to another one. But not before you've written at least a few programs in that language that you're proud of.

As for gadgets, I've never really used one, so I can't really recommend anything. If it seems interesting to tinker with, mess with it.

Yeah usually programming oriented hardware is expensive because of its small target group, so going for it without any programming knowledge could be actually kind of... useless.

Try to learn a programming language by yourself at first and take support from any tutorial you want (there are thousands online for free). I'd personally recommend the SoloLearn apps for absolute beginners.

The Brain pad that you saw only costs 39 bucks, but it looks pretty limited.

I would recommend doing something on your computer, which would be free.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

8 minutes ago, 007agentHP said:

id honestly just go and learn a language on your computer

pick one

C++ or python

either one are good choices

grab an ide and if you need good tutorials just ask

isn't C++ really difficult? or is that pascal or something

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Triple Fan | G.Skill 32GB 2x D5 6000

Just now, Apollo Refugio said:

isn't C++ really difficult? or is that pascal or something

i personally don't have much experience with C++ (im a python guy) but what i do have it seems similar to every language out there. just different Syntax

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Just now, 007agentHP said:

i personally don't have much experience with C++ (im a python guy) but what i do have it seems similar to every language out there. just different Syntax

oh, i really don't know anything of programming... i wanna get into it, but idk where to start rip

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Triple Fan | G.Skill 32GB 2x D5 6000

Yea i think I'm going to start with C++. I've heard its hard, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

22 minutes ago, InvertedGPR said:

Can I use Microsoft's Visual Studio for any language?

It has C++ but no, it supports a lot of them and has plugins for others but not every language.

If you're going to start with C++ I'd just suggest making sure whatever you're learning from teaches modern C++, not C with classes.

keep in mind that programming is not all about coding and methodologies suck as solid(oop), dry, kiss and a number of others are just if not mote important.

if you're going to join the game make sure you're getting off on the right foot.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I would personally suggest starting with C# or Java. I know they may be a little heavy to cut your teeth on, but it'll force you to learn a lot more than just simple syntax. Not that Python is bad or anything I just happened to start on Java and have been grateful for that experience, so I like to toss it out there from time to time.

On 11/3/2016 at 5:32 PM, vorticalbox said:

keep in mind that programming is not all about coding and methodologies suck as solid(oop), dry, kiss and a number of others are just if not mote important.

I like this statement. It's really not just about what you write, but how you write it imho. Take that for what it's worth.

Also, I managed to forget. If you're interested in a little Java/.Net, but would rather do something entertaining with it other than staring at code, check out Robocode http://robocode.sourceforge.net/

Edited by jslowik
Robocode

Thanks for all the help. I'll probably start on C# since we are having someone help with that in the club I'm in. Also, Ive been trying to download Microsoft Visual Studios and its been giving me this error:

Screenshot (1).png

2 hours ago, jslowik said:

I would personally suggest starting with C# or Java. I know they may be a little heavy to cut your teeth on, but it'll force you to learn a lot more than just simple syntax. Not that Python is bad or anything I just happened to start on Java and have been grateful for that experience, so I like to toss it out there from time to time.

I like this statement. It's really not just about what you write, but how you write it imho. Take that for what it's worth.

Also, I managed to forget. If you're interested in a little Java/.Net, but would rather do something entertaining with it other than staring at code, check out Robocode http://robocode.sourceforge.net/

typos aside it is what makes the difference between a programmer and a good programmer. It's what let me stand out in my college classes because I spend the time to learn.

we had a project in which we had to make a team management app, web based in html and php. Most of my class ended up with about 80 files where as I had 3.

first page was the view that displayed the different sections, second was a php file that did all the processing and the third was a database class to send pro queries too.

where as the rest of my glass had a page or each section that got sent to a different script then onto another end page.

Not really their fault we had a teacher that was on strike 98% of the time and then no replacement. I was just lucky enough to have took my own time to learn php.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

6 hours ago, jslowik said:

@InvertedGPR

I haven't seen those errors before. Have you tried running the installer as administrator?

No I'll try that.

6 hours ago, jslowik said:

@InvertedGPR

I haven't seen those errors before. Have you tried running the installer as administrator?

It did the same thing

You can use all those free code learning websites to learn how to code. 

https://www.codecademy.com/

FreeCodeCamp. 

I am using free code camp. And right now I am building my own 1st mini project. A tribute page using HTML and CSS. 

Language wise different people have different opinion. For me I learned a little bit of C++ before and now I am learning HTML/CSS.

Between these 2, the latter one is way more easier. Really good for 1st time learner. 

I think you should just pick a language and stick with it. Until you are super confident about it. (Still programming is a on going learning journey. ) 

Remember : Do not read a lot of books and don't code at all.  Sit at your computer and start coding day 1 is really important.

Also after you learned the basic, do mini projects and projects that need to collaborate with other people. 

Doing project is the real deal. Not how many questions/tasks you finished last night. 

Good Luck and happy coding !!!!!

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

43 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

You can use all those free code learning websites to learn how to code. 

https://www.codecademy.com/

FreeCodeCamp. 

I am using free code camp. And right now I am building my own 1st mini project. A tribute page using HTML and CSS. 

Language wise different people have different opinion. For me I learned a little bit of C++ before and now I am learning HTML/CSS.

Between these 2, the latter one is way more easier. Really good for 1st time learner. 

I think you should just pick a language and stick with it. Until you are super confident about it. (Still programming is a on going learning journey. ) 

Remember : Do not read a lot of books and don't code at all.  Sit at your computer and start coding day 1 is really important.

Also after you learned the basic, do mini projects and projects that need to collaborate with other people. 

Doing project is the real deal. Not how many questions/tasks you finished last night. 

Good Luck and happy coding !!!!!

Thanks, this helps out a lot.

2 hours ago, InvertedGPR said:

Thanks, this helps out a lot.

np :D

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.