will the nintendo switch be passively cooled?

spiralfuzion

I'm just curious as how it would be cooled. I've seen tegras passively cooled with no fans but I can't see inside of it and am wondering what's actually inside the device. 

So I won't be able to use it while scuba diving... damn.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

2 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Sorry mate, until someone leaks images of the inside of the tablet or iFixit takes it apart, we don't know. Based off of seeing the outside, chances are it's passively cooled, I bet you it will be cooled a lot like the nVidia Shield Tablet. Look up images online of the Shield Tablet being disassembled.

so esentially it'll be small fans or large/small heat sinks to dissipate heat.

It clearly has cooling vents up the top so I think there's a fair chance it'll have a fan of some kind

Nintendo-Switch-Shot-08.jpg

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

17 minutes ago, skywake said:

It clearly has cooling vents up the top so I think there's a fair chance it'll have a fan of some kind

Nintendo-Switch-Shot-08.jpg

true. I just see so many optimistic articles saying it'll have the power of a ps4 with such a small form factor. Even if that was the case that kind of hardware would require decent cooling and even fans at that size would never be able to cool the system. 

2 hours ago, spiralfuzion said:

true. I just see so many optimistic articles saying it'll have the power of a ps4 with such a small form factor. Even if that was the case that kind of hardware would require decent cooling and even fans at that size would never be able to cool the system. 

All that's known so far is that it uses a Tegra chip. But to give some perspective here's a graph:

consoles3.png

Saying it'll match the PS4 is a bit optimistic I think. But if they use something along the lines of that newest Tegra chip? PCMR can turn their nose up all they want at the lack of power but for a portable device it's still going to be pretty impressive.

1 hour ago, skywake said:

All that's known so far is that it uses a Tegra chip. But to give some perspective here's a graph:

consoles3.png

Saying it'll match the PS4 is a bit optimistic I think. But if they use something along the lines of that newest Tegra chip? PCMR can turn their nose up all they want at the lack of power but for a portable device it's still going to be pretty impressive.

i've also seen a few sources that it'll have 4gb of ram. I'm not sure on speed or type. also optimization plays highly into the equation as well so it depends on how well they develop the game on this chip and platform. 

47 minutes ago, spiralfuzion said:

i've also seen a few sources that it'll have 4gb of ram. I'm not sure on speed or type. also optimization plays highly into the equation as well so it depends on how well they develop the game on this chip and platform. 

Well of course it's going to be about 4GB. RAM is only there as space that the GPU and GPU can more quickly access data being worked on. There's no point having more RAM than the processors can work through. Which is why the Shield tablet and Wii U which were about half as powerful as the Switch is probably going to be only had 2GB RAM. 

15 minutes ago, skywake said:

Well of course it's going to be about 4GB. RAM is only there as space that the GPU and GPU can more quickly access data being worked on. There's no point having more RAM than the processors can work through. Which is why the Shield tablet and Wii U which were about half as powerful as the Switch is probably going to be only had 2GB RAM. 

cpu and gpu?

On 2/11/2016 at 10:35 PM, skywake said:

consoles3.png

That is a strange graphic, no doubt made like that to make the tegra chip look better than it is, According to that graphic the portable consoles have around 70 GFLOPS, the Tegra 900 GFLOPS, and then it jumps to 5000 GFLOPS for Mid Range Nvidia and Home consoles, making it look like is just a small increment.  

What do they consider Mid range Nvidia that has the same power than a Home Console, a GTX 750 ?

With those values, the graphic should look more like this:

graph(1).jpg

Mystery is the source of all true science.

@Sors

It's on a log scale because a linear scale is absolutely useless for this sort of thing. With a linear scale going upto 10TFLOPS the first 100GFLOPs or so looks like a flat line, no change at all. That flat line includes everything from the NES to the original XBox and some, multiple generations of graphical advances. And on the other end of the scale it makes the gap between the 1070 and 1080 look massive when for games there's not really that big a difference. Well there's a difference but that difference is not bigger than the gap between the NES and the PS4

So you can claim that I made the graph like that to "make the tegra chip look better than it is". But I didn't. I made the graph like that because a linear scale would be incredibly misleading. On your graph Tegra is closer to the Vita than it is to the XBOne and PS4. On my graph Tegra is actually fairly close to the XBOne/PS4 but not quite. On my graph there's the same gap between the 3DS and Vita as there is between the Vita and the PS4. On yours the PS4 and XBOne are further apart than the Wii U and NES. One of those graphs is misleading, it's not mine.