14 inch gaming laptop for uni

Hi Guys, 

Looking to get a 14 inch notebook for my uni coming next year. I've been looking at the razerblade 1060 or the MSI gs43vr. While I'm not sure how much the razerblade 1060 is as its not released in my area yet (Singapore), the gs43vr cost somewhere around 2600-3000 dollar around here. 

I've already come to terms how much I would be forking out for a gaming laptop here in Singapore and have no issues with that but I would like to know your thoughts on which laptop I should choose for my uni. Since these two laptop comes with a 1060 and thunderbolt 3 for an external dock (and almost identical specs), I'm not really worries about performance here. What I'm really looking at is the portability, heat and sound output for these laptop. 

The weight of these two laptop is comparable, somewhere below 2KG for both, but the power brick is the killer in terms of weight. I don't know how heavy both the powerbricks since most reviews don't talk about it so thats a concern for me.

Like to think what you guys think about this. Other laptop suggestions are also welcomed, but it must possess a GTX1060 and thunderbolt 3. Thank you!

I've seen a very good Video on this topic. 

For the 2600-3000 dollars (i don't know if u mean Singapore or Usd specifically, but in both ways its more than enough) you could buy a cheap laptop for the uni work and a desktop for the more demanding tasks. If you really just want a powerful laptop than i would personally go with the msi one.

The blade with a 1060 thermal throttles while playing overwatch for a short time and razer has zero QC and their support is a fucking joke.

I think the Alienware 13inch with a 1060, is the closest you can get to what you want, without any huge issues.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 hour ago, Dat_Lars said:

I've seen a very good Video on this topic. 

For the 2600-3000 dollars (i don't know if u mean Singapore or Usd specifically, but in both ways its more than enough) you could buy a cheap laptop for the uni work and a desktop for the more demanding tasks. If you really just want a powerful laptop than i would personally go with the msi one.

I agree that buying a gaming laptop is a poor choice with problems such as thermal throttling and so on, but my uni requires me to move around every 6 months or so away from my home (co-op studies). So during that 6 months I might be away from my desktop. Thanks for your input!

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

The blade with a 1060 thermal throttles while playing overwatch for a short time and razer has zero QC and their support is a fucking joke.

I think the Alienware 13inch with a 1060, is the closest you can get to what you want, without any huge issues.

This is what most review omitted, the QC and the thermal management. I mean reading around forums informed me that the thermal management was bad, but I wasn't expecting it to thermal throttle while playing overwatch.

3 hours ago, UltraTin said:

This is what most review omitted, the QC and the thermal management. I mean reading around forums informed me that the thermal management was bad, but I wasn't expecting it to thermal throttle while playing overwatch.

in this video you can see that it runs at 93c+ and is loud as fuck

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

If you don't mind gettinga 15" laptop, you could always consider a Clevo laptop, since you can pretty much costumize it the way you wan't (it has a lot of personalization). A friend of mine bought one recently, it has a 1060, I7-6700HQ, and only costed ~1600€ (the model he bought doesn't have thunderbolt 3 unfortunately), but there are other models with it, and probably cheaper than the razer and with better cooling. Check clevo or any of it's ressellers (obsidianpc, sager,...)

1 hour ago, UltraTin said:

snip

What's your budget in SGD? And I'd take a look at the new Alienware 13, that looks so dope, I want one for myself, but you still gotta wait a little for that one as it is still not available to us yet.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

1 minute ago, exercutor5 said:

What's your budget in SGD? And I'd take a look at the new Alienware 13, that looks so dope, I want one for myself, but you still gotta wait a little for that one as it is still not available to us yet.

My budget is around 3000 dollar SGD, I can get a pretty good desktop with it but sadly portability is really non-negotiable. 

2 minutes ago, JMMonteiro said:

If you don't mind gettinga 15" laptop, you could always consider a Clevo laptop, since you can pretty much costumize it the way you wan't (it has a lot of personalization). A friend of mine bought one recently, it has a 1060, I7-6700HQ, and only costed ~1600€ (the model he bought doesn't have thunderbolt 3 unfortunately), but there are other models with it, and probably cheaper than the razer and with better cooling. Check clevo or any of it's ressellers (obsidianpc, sager,...)

Yeah, we do have one clevo reseller here in singapore, but again no thunderbolt 3 of course. Reason why I want thunderbolt 3 is because I currently own a clevo back from 2012 with a 7970m, it was awesome for the first year or so but then the new architectures came out and games got more intensive. I just don't want to buy a laptop every three to four years especially when the only thing I really need to change is the GPU. 

1 minute ago, UltraTin said:

I just don't want to buy a laptop every three to four years especially when the only thing I really need to change is the GPU. 

Just so you know, the way eGPUs work over Thunderbolt 3 would more or less bottleneck the performance of the GPU in some way or another, and this would not give you the maximum performance you expect.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

3 hours ago, exercutor5 said:

Just so you know, the way eGPUs work over Thunderbolt 3 would more or less bottleneck the performance of the GPU in some way or another, and this would not give you the maximum performance you expect.

AGM much better solution. But 6700HQ on the AW13 bottlenecks that. 

4 hours ago, UltraTin said:

What I'm really looking at is the portability, heat and sound output for these laptop.

AW13 > GS43VR

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p