What is a good sata to molex adapter?

Xtreme Gamer

I found out that my PSU doesn't have enough Molex connectors but it has plenty of sata connectors. Can you guys recommend me a good sata to molex adapter (preferentially cheap)? I am gonna need a few of them. Thanks for the help guys!!!!

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

2 minutes ago, Xtreme Gamer said:

I found out that my PSU doesn't have enough Molex connectors but it has plenty of sata connectors. Can you guys recommend me a good sata to molex adapter (preferentially cheap)? I am gonna need a few of them. Thanks for the help guys!!!!

the cheapest thing you can find probably. it really is not an amazing tech, worst case you're going to get is DOA, it passes such low currents that it really doesn't matter how shit it is unless it literally falls apart when you touch it.

1 minute ago, Xtreme Gamer said:

Wow really? I haven't even used a molex connector now for at least 3 years, even then it was to use Molex to sata as I didn't have enough SATA power connectors. What are you using all these molex connectors for if you don't mind my asking? 

Anyway, something like this   https://www.amazon.com/15-Pin-Female-Splitter-Manhattan-308977/dp/B002LBROAA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478039791&sr=8-1&keywords=sata+to+molex

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Just now, paddy-stone said:

Wow really? I haven't even used a molex connector now for at least 3 years, even then it was to use Molex to sata as I didn't have enough SATA power connectors. What are you using all these molex connectors for if you don't mind my asking? 

Anyway, something like this   https://www.amazon.com/15-Pin-Female-Splitter-Manhattan-308977/dp/B002LBROAA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478039791&sr=8-1&keywords=sata+to+molex

My rosewill RSV-L4412 chassis uses molex to power the hard drives and fans. on the front end it powers the 4 hard drive cages so in total , a lot of molex connections needed. And each cage has 2 molex power connectors since its hotswappable. I'm not sure but maybe one molex is for the 4 hard drives in one cage and the other molex is the the fan behind the cage. Also, 2 small fans in the back of the chassis use molex.

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

Why use sata to molex if you can use molex splitters?

PYO2L_5_1600x1600.jpg

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Just now, Xtreme Gamer said:

My rosewill RSV-L4412 chassis uses molex to power the hard drives and fans. on the front end it powers the 4 hard drive cages so in total , a lot of molex connections needed. And each cage has 2 molex power connectors since its hotswappable. I'm not sure but maybe one molex is for the 4 hard drives in one cage and the other molex is the the fan behind the cage. Also, 2 small fans in the back of the chassis use molex.

Ahh yeah, forgot about backplanes maybe needing molex :)

Oh well, at least it's useful then.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Just now, Litargirio said:

Why use sata to molex if you can use molex splitters?

Hide contents

PYO2L_5_1600x1600.jpg

Because i'm worried that that might not be enough for the fans and the hard drives in the hotswap cages since it's all coming from one cable.

Ha, I have used molex to sata converters a few times but never the other way around!

But as the others said, theyre all the same pretty much unless it literally falls to pieces in your hand. Also as @Litargirio said, a molex splitter would serve you well if you can find one of those easier.

When in doubt, re-format.

2 minutes ago, Xtreme Gamer said:

Because i'm worried that that might not be enough for the fans and the hard drives in the hotswap cages since it's all coming from one cable.

Chances are good that the PSU is running both sata and molex from the same rail. You would need A LOT of hdds and fans to actually run into issues with the current capacity of a single molex cable.

When in doubt, re-format.

1 minute ago, pwn_intended said:

Ha, I have used molex to sata converters a few times but never the other way around!

But as the others said, theyre all the same pretty much unless it literally falls to pieces in your hand. Also as @Litargirio said, a molex splitter would serve you well if you can find one of those easier.

The case supports up to 12 or 15 hdds and 5 fans. I was just worried that if i used a sata to dual molex splitter, that the fans and hdds might not get enough power, or even be safe.