Best Cheap Earbuds ~ $30

MrGidwani

I've been using the JVC HA-FX30-B which is a $15 pair of earbuds for the past 8-10 months and I've been pretty satisfied with them. They reduced noise pretty well, were pretty durable, and had decent audio quality for the price. The left earbud recently died and I'm looking for a new pair. I'd really rather pay around $30 or cheaper. I'm dead-set on earbuds for the portability and I will only be using them for listening to music, watching Youtube vids, etc. Pretty low end stuff. The main features I'm looking for in order of importance are:

1. Durability (I want them to last so this is a pretty important to me)
  2. Noise Isolation/Dampening/Whatever (The JVC ones had memory foam earpieces that went over the buds which were very comfortable and reduced noise pretty well. I'm not looking for some fancy noise cancelling technology, just something that reduces loud noises and is decently comfortable)
  3. Sound Quality (I know this is weird to be the least important feature for me, but I simply am not an audiophile in the slightest. I just want clear audio with no white noise. If some special audio enhancements are available at this price-point which I doubt, I would want some with a little bit better bass. I know earbuds can't really do bass, but I do have a good amount of DnB and Techno on my library, so I can never have too much bass  ^_^ )

The JVC earbuds I had were very good for the money for me and were very inexpensive being priced at $15. I also can by them at a local Walmart, so it could be logical for me just to get another pair. 8 months of use is a long time for $15 earbuds, but I just want to know if I can get better durability/audio quality at this price-point. Thanks in advance.

Intel i5 3570K - ASRock Extreme4 - Corsair Vengeance 8Gb RAM - ASUS GTX 660 Ti - Samsung 840 250Gb SSD (OS-Games) - WD 750Gb HDD (Storage) - Corsair TX650W PSU - Corsair 300R

The EarPods are pretty good, I really like mine and our perfect when I walk my dog (stay in my ears, really good sound quality, and enough noise cancellation so I can still hear the outside world).

I like my Skull Candy 50/50 earbuds. They're $60 USD though. I would say go with earpods from Apple.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

I have the JVC-FX1X, 10mm driver, lots of bass, very durable.

Watch this video.

[spoiler=»--((¯`·._.·¤~●oO му яιg Oo●~¤·._.·´¯))--«] Case: Corsair 600T White       CPU: Core i7 3930k @ 4.3GHz                     SSD: Crucial M500 480GB

MB:    Asus P9X79 LE         GPU: Nvidia GTX 780 Reference             HDD: WD Caviar Green 3TB

PSU:   Seasonic X-1050      RAM: G.Skill Trident X 32GB @ 2.4GHz   ☃ There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

PNY Midtown (PNY AUDE201... 17 dollars at Amazon and Newegg), and the prices on them now make them an incredible value for the money (Also come with a mic which obviously you don't have to use but will pause/resume playback). Much better than my my BrainWavz R1, Monoprice 8320,MEElectronics M6,  and my JVC Xtreme Xplosives HA-FR201 (btw the JVC HA-FX101/FR201 are updated JVC-FX1X's... don't get the FX1X's when you can get those instead if you do consider JVC).

Tight bass(Very slightly less than my JVC XX's but better quality and texture), wider soundstage as far as earphones go, Small, Comfortable, Fantastic Cord that doesn't tangle and is internally twisted with a clear plastic sheath, my favorite ear tips I've come across so far... well let me just let the internets defacto In-ear monitor reviewer |Joker| from Head-Fi give their take.

"PNY Midtown 200 Series 

Very small and comfortable form factor with good build quality. Cables are especially nice on these - internally twisted, with a clear outer sheath a-la MEElec cords. The stock tips are of very nice quality as well. The Midtown has a mic and 1-button remote.

Sound is nice and clear, with enhanced bass and good deep bass presence. Overall tone has a warm tilt but not overly so. The Sony MH1C is, in comparison, a little tighter in terms of bass bass, boasts a thicker note, and has a more spacious presentation but it's not far ahead. These seem to be <$25 from many retailers and are a good buy."

"Yep, I would say definitely worth a shot for a warmer but not overly thick sound. I would expect a sound score in the mid-upper 7.x range and a value score (at $16) in the 9-10 range."

Pretty much you would have to spend much more to get into the upper 7/10 and into the 8+/10 sound score. Usually we see those scores in the 100-150 USD range. And many of those do not sport enhanced bass.

Check out the entire list of IEM's reviewed

• 1 year later...

I have the JVC-FX1X, 10mm driver, lots of bass, very durable.

Watch this video.

Is the sound balance overpowered by the bass ? Any problem of that kind ?

mitsosvazelos84 :)

Is the sound balance overpowered by the bass ? Any problem of that kind ?

mitsosvazelos84 :)

If you're looking for good bass, without sacrificing the mids and highs, then I would recommend getting the Sennheiser CX-175

I've had them for about a year & they are by far my favourite in ear headphones for $30

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Headphones-Ear-canal-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00G4BZOOG

They are discontinued, but you can still find them.

I picked up a second pair for about $40 CAD at BestBuy

[spoiler=»--((¯`·._.·¤~●oO му яιg Oo●~¤·._.·´¯))--«] Case: Corsair 600T White       CPU: Core i7 3930k @ 4.3GHz                     SSD: Crucial M500 480GB

MB:    Asus P9X79 LE         GPU: Nvidia GTX 780 Reference             HDD: WD Caviar Green 3TB

PSU:   Seasonic X-1050      RAM: G.Skill Trident X 32GB @ 2.4GHz   ☃ There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

If you're looking for good bass, without sacrificing the mids and highs, then I would recommend getting the Sennheiser CX-175

I've had them for about a year & they are by far my favourite in ear headphones for $30

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Headphones-Ear-canal-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00G4BZOOG

They are discontinued, but you can still find them.

I picked up a second pair for about $40 CAD at BestBuy

Ok thank you all for the help I have drawn my conclusions :)

mitsosvazelos84

I know I'm a bit late, but seriously consider the zero audio Carbo tenore or Carbo basso. I have the tenore and it's better (imo) than the se215, which I have very intimate experience with, and it's a $100 earphone. Plus, at least for me, they have more than enough bass for and kind of dubstep/dnb/any bass heavy music, but they don't sacrifice the mids or the highs in any way.

Plus they're made out of carbon fiber (real carbon, not anything fake either) and aluminum.

Also, the Carbo tenore is $35

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I know I'm a bit late, but seriously consider the zero audio Carbo tenore or Carbo basso. I have the tenore and it's better (imo) than the se215, which I have very intimate experience with, and it's a $100 earphone. Plus, at least for me, they have more than enough bass for and kind of dubstep/dnb/any bass heavy music, but they don't sacrifice the mids or the highs in any way.

Plus they're made out of carbon fiber (real carbon, not anything fake either) and aluminum.

Also, the Carbo tenore is $35

Ill check this out :)