HELP HELP HELP

Burnedice25

HELP! My power supply exploded (literally, there was sparks and a loud bang). And I was wondering is my motherboard and hard drive still useable, (I don't think so) and is it safe to touch the MOBO to remove the hard drive 

Just now, PCNoobie said:

If you turned your psu off, then it's safe to touch it, but I think it fried your components.

I just need the hard drive and the CPU, and the computer wasn't in BIOS when it exploded so the hard drive wasn't in use, could that change anything

Both are almost certainly dead.

CPU too probably.

Ram and SSDs and GPU are possibly alright.

It is safe to touch after unplugging everything.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, andrew.neubauer0409 said:

What the heck power supply was that!!!

It was a included one in a pre build PC, I got it as a hand me down as my dads boss, so it was heavily under use and it had a Pentium D, I think that tells how old and how used it was. I always knew it was unreliable, but I had know money to replace it.

1 minute ago, TheCODclown25 said:

It was a included one in a pre build PC, I got it as a hand me down as my dads boss, so it was heavily under use and it had a Pentium D, I think that tells how old and how used it was. I always knew it was unreliable, but I had know money to replace it.

ahhhh...damn that is freaking old and props to keeping it running for that long anyway.

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Both are almost certainly dead.

CPU too probably.

Ram and SSDs and GPU are possibly alright.

It is safe to touch after unplugging everything.

It has no SSD or GPU, and only 2GB of RAM.

Just now, TheCODclown25 said:

It has no SSD or GPU, and only 2GB of RAM.

Yeah...its time to scrap it and get a new comp. You can find a crap ton of budget builds online from people like austin evans and jaystwocents if you need some insperation. (if you don't already watch them)

Just now, andrew.neubauer0409 said:

Yeah...its time to scrap it and get a new comp. You can find a crap ton of budget builds online from people like austin evans and jaystwocents if you need some insperation. (if you don't already watch them)

Good point, I'm saving up for a new build anyway. But do you think I can get some money if I sell the parts for scrap metal

Depends if there is a place around you that will accept it as payable scrap...but even then a lot of places don't pay for that little of a bit or if they do it won't be a substantial amount. So all I can say on that is find out if you local recycling centers accept computer components regularly or if there are certain times they only do. I know my only does during the spring and the first part of the fall.

10 minutes ago, TheCODclown25 said:

Good point, I'm saving up for a new build anyway. But do you think I can get some money if I sell the parts for scrap metal

you could tear out the copper and get a dollar. the steel in the case isn't worth anything. electronics recyclers prefer to refurbish than recycle if they can because they make almost nothing on recycling, even if there is a tiny amount of gold in each motherboard.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

you could tear out the copper and get a dollar. the steel in the case isn't worth anything. electronics recyclers prefer to refurbish than recycle if they can because they make almost nothing on recycling, even if there is a tiny amount of gold in each motherboard.

Tearing out the copper is a great idea...wish I would have thought of that when I took mine down there. They gave me 20 something bucks for everything on my end...but I also had other scrap metal and a few bags of aluminum cans. If I can find my receipt I'll tell you what they gave me for my computer.

2 minutes ago, andrew.neubauer0409 said:

Tearing out the copper is a great idea...

where I am they pay 3X more if you remove all plastic insulation from copper but they next to nothing for metal that has been galvanised or mixed metals they have to seperate by hand.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Found my receipt and guess what they gave me for it...$0. Oh well I took it there to make sure it didn't just get thrown in a random landfill somewhere. At least I know that most of it has been dealt with properly. So yeah people...tear the copper out of its protective covering and take it apart...cause you should actually get something for it then.

46 minutes ago, TheCODclown25 said:

HELP! My power supply exploded (literally, there was sparks and a loud bang). And I was wondering is my motherboard and hard drive still useable, (I don't think so) and is it safe to touch the MOBO to remove the hard drive 

a lot of modern PSU's, and motherboards have surge redundancies for if and when PSU's malfunction or fail, so that they can sometimes not take everything with it.... but if your PSU failed so catastrophically it literally went BANG, theeeennnnn all bets are off as to what, if anything, actually survived lol. sorry m8