Poll: What is stopping people from buying the Radeon 7990?

Surgeon

What's holding back sales on the 7990 even though it is the fastest card on the market?

1) Corssfire frame-time shenanigans.

2) Imminent R9 290X launch

3) Dual GPU setup problems. (eg. bad scaling, weird random bugs, etc.)

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

Because it's a crossfire solution and is the same thing as having two slightly underclocked but more power efficient 7970's.

It has no expandability compared to a single card because quad CFX is annoyingly stupid. You wouldn't go around buying two cards at once when you can afford one better card. It's useful in SFF builds though (ironically.)

1) Corssfire frame-time shenanigans.

3) Dual GPU setup problems. (eg. bad scaling, weird random bugs, etc.)

These are the least of the problems, that's not really why it's (imo) bad.

Error: 410

i don't need it yet...

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

micro stuttering/frame rating (almost fixed) and the next generation is just round the corner which at some point next year we can probably expect a R9 variant of the 7990 with the hawaii architecture.

I like to have the strongest single GPU setup I can because you get full performance from the word go, where as with Multi GPU (SLI for my experience) often on launch you will find yourself half cocked while waiting for multi GPU optimization/SLI profiles.

I haven't run a multi GPU setup for over a year now so I can't comment on how quickly that happens right now, but that's always been my reason for staying single (<haha)

However the reason I wouldn't have bought a 7990 specifically was the frame timing issues.

What's holding back sales on the 7990 even though it is the fastest card on the market?

I voted "it costs too much" because where i live we get charged too much in taxes.

The 3 slot Power color version costs $1 072.44 U.S. dollars (1 left)

The 2 slot Asus version costs $1 588.8 U.S. dollars (2 left)

Different stores, I could buy the "cheaper" one but I want this on an ITX system, so the 3 slot one doesn't work for me.

Most online stores doesn't ship to my country Chile, and there is the risk (doesn't always happen) that we'll get charged the import tax, and pay the full price from here anyways, and if there is the need to RMA the card "HO GOD NO!".

Main rig. Updated :D CPU: FX8350 @stock Cooler: Corsair h110 Motherboard: Ga-990fxa-ud5 Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 1866Mhz GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (blower cooler)  PSU: Cooler Master Silent pro 850w SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue Case: Thermaltake core V71 Fan controler: NZXT Sentry

Secondary PC: CPU: i5 4670k @stock Cooler: Thermaltake NIC L/31 Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 2133Mhz GPU: ZOTAC GTX 780 (Titan cooler) PSU: Antec 520m Pro SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue & WD 2TB Green Case: Thermaltake core V1

1+2+3 for me.

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac

For me personally, It seems to always be the same story with the Red Team Hyping things, and falling short.

Granted, you get gaming bundles, better pricing, Mantle and what have you.

There just always seems to be this stigma about the Red Team.

Example: R9-290x(Titan Killer?) = Slightly better than a 780. So 290x better be cheaper than the 780, from history.

Green Team = GTX 780TI???? = ?????.......More than likely stomping the 290x, for a much larger price, no doubt.

You don't see Green Team coming out with the Titan Ultra/Super Titan. Just a simple 780ti. Just enough to one up.

It's like boxing. There's a punch.....and a counter punch, a punch......and a counter punch. The Red Team never seems to be

Counter Punching.

The whole process Sucks Ass!

It's like the Green Team is always just Taunting or Toying with the Red Team. Like an Older big brother harassing a younger small brother.

Ok! Come On! Come On! You Can Do It!!............Ooppss! No You Can't! You Suck! Go Home Now! With Your Tail Between Your Legs! 

Better Luck Next Time!.........Loser!  :(

For me personally, It seems to always be the same story with the Red Team Hyping things, and falling short.

Granted, you get gaming bundles, better pricing, Mantle and what have you.

There just always seems to be this stigma about the Red Team.

Example: R9-290x(Titan Killer?) = Slightly better than a 780. So 290x better be cheaper than the 780, from history.

Green Team = GTX 780TI???? = ?????.......More than likely stomping the 290x, for a much larger price, no doubt.

You don't see Green Team coming out with the Titan Ultra/Super Titan. Just a simple 780ti. Just enough to one up.

I agree. Especially if the rumors that Green team has been sitting on the GK110 for a generation or two are true. Its like nvidia is keeping AMD around just so it can keep 1-uping it.

I also find it odd that Nvidia has not released a crappy mantle killer api. It wouldn't catch on and it might cause a little negativity toward them but it would surely divide the developers enough for mantle not to catch on. I think that is Nvidia's way of saying they are not threatened at all by Mantle and might be sitting on more AMD killing GPUs.

That last bit is speculation but still it is interesting to think about.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I agree. Especially if the rumors that Green team has been sitting on the GK110 for a generation or two are true. Its like nvidia is keeping AMD around just so it can keep 1-uping it.

I also find it odd that Nvidia has not released a crappy mantle killer api. It wouldn't catch on and it might cause a little negativity toward them but it would surely divide the developers enough for mantle not to catch on. I think that is Nvidia's way of saying they are not threatened at all by Mantle and might be sitting on more AMD killing GPUs.

That last bit is speculation but still it is interesting to think about.

Nvidia did respond to Mantle already.........It's called G-Sync. Another One Up.

Because some day G-Sync will be in displays of all kinds, Not just Computer Industry.....Where Mantle wont. STOMP!!!

micro stutter has been fixed single monitor for most games now. you should only be worried about it if your using old drivers (why would you do this anyway?) or eyefinity which are work in progress and will probably be fixed in the near future. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

My bet would be that people are waiting for the R9 290X.

Personally I upgraded from a 5770 to a 7990 as soon as I heard that the R9 280X was a rebranded 7970 and the timing was right because for about a week or so you could get a 7990 for 500 euros.

drivers have been fixed for the 7990 and even for quadfire 7990s (newegg has a review iir) and because the 7970GPU will be on 3 different cards (7970 7990 and 280X) my guess would be that it will get a ton of support from AMD in the future since a lot of people will be using this GPU for the next while.

Have not had any issues with stuttering or tearing however this might be because I am used to the 5770 and I don't notice it because of how smooth even a stuttering 7990 is compared to a single 5770 running new games on 1080p.