VT-d on a 60$ board?!?!?

I bought a gigabyte ga-h81m-d2v with a pentium a while ago. my i7 4770 was on my z87 sabertooth. I swapped the cpus when school started because I wasn't going to need the i7 and the gtx 780 for gaming since I wouldn't have had time. I decided to play with virtualization by installing proxmox on a spare ssd. I go to the bios to change the boot order so that the computer would boot from the usb and then I saw it. VT-d enabled. I was blown away. I can attach a photo of the bios in case someone thinks I'm making this up.

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura

Just now, manikyath said:

pretty sure VT-d is all cpu based, and the mobo has little to nothing to do with it.

it has a lot to do with the motherboard. the z87 sabertooth I mentioned? no vt-d with the same cpu. asus's implementation didnt pass some tests and thus none of their z87 boards have vt-d. 

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura

2 minutes ago, Atomicnerd64 said:

it has a lot to do with the motherboard. the z87 sabertooth I mentioned? no vt-d with the same cpu. asus's implementation didnt pass some tests and thus none of their z87 boards have vt-d. 

that surprises me, i should check if my server has VT-d enabled, it's a 4770 on some horrendous OEM mobo.

i'll report back when i figure out if it supports it or not.

that surprises me, i should check if my server has VT-d enabled, it's a 4770 on some horrendous OEM mobo.

i'll report back when i figure out if it supports it or not.

before I would have told you to not even bother. now I say let's hope it does. just to clarify vt-d is the ability to pass a pci express device to a vm. vt-x is the basic virtualization.

2 minutes ago, Atomicnerd64 said:

before I would have told you to not even bother. now I say let's hope it does. just to clarify vt-d is the ability to pass a pci express device to a vm. vt-x is the basic virtualization.

i know it has vt-x, because i've been running VMs on it (surprisingly, with so little overhead i've yet to find someone that can explain me what the flip is going on)

i'm currently in the point of figuring out why i cant access it, yay broken hardware :P

i know it has vt-x, because i've been running VMs on it (surprisingly, with so little overhead i've yet to find someone that can explain me what the flip is going on)

i'm currently in the point of figuring out why i cant access it, yay broken hardware :P

I made the mistake once to try to work on my network before having coffee. plugging cables and and I ended up making a loop on my network and then wondering for an hour what was wrong. a combination of not marking what I patched on a patch panel and plugging cables without thinking too much and thus came a loop. figured it out later though and facepalmed.

12 minutes ago, Atomicnerd64 said:

I made the mistake once to try to work on my network before having coffee. plugging cables and and I ended up making a loop on my network and then wondering for an hour what was wrong. a combination of not marking what I patched on a patch panel and plugging cables without thinking too much and thus came a loop. figured it out later though and facepalmed.

well.. it appareantly only lists "intel VT" with seemingly no seperation between VT-x or VT-d

well.. it appareantly only lists "intel VT" with seemingly no seperation between VT-x or VT-d

there is a command in linux to check it. it's cpucheck or something like that and if it's enabled the output is kvm ok. don't remember it though

Just now, Atomicnerd64 said:

there is a command in linux to check it. it's cpucheck or something like that and if it's enabled the output is kvm ok. don't remember it though

i unfortunately dont have linux on my server (yet)

chances are this afternoon that'll change tho, if i remember i'll report back :P