Getting into photography, can I get some camera + lens recommendations?

I've recently been getting into photography, and loving it so far. My dad vomited (not literally) a Centon DF-300 on me (with a Hoya lens cover (I think it's called) and a minolta lens) (film and stuff so not very practical) and I've taken some nice snaps with that (developed by my dad, very kindly). However, it'd be easier for me to get a digital one, especially as my school is starting an art competition soon, which includes photography. I've got about £400 to burn on a camera and a lens or two. I know it's not a large amount, but hopefully enough to get me started. I don't need lighting for now, as I mostly take outdoor shots. I need a camera (duh), preferably manual focus, with a close up and wide angle lens. Anything with nice looking focus is preferable. All recommendations are welcome, to be talked over with my dad so that we get the best answer. Thanks!

Gaming and Editing: Intel Core i7-4930k 4.6Ghz 6-Core Processor - EK Supremacy CSQ CPU WaterblockASUS P9X79 ATX Motherboard - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (8x4GB) 1866 Memory - EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black 1200Mhz 6GB W/ EK FC780 Ti Nickel Waterblock Graphics Card  - Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive x3 - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD x2 - Fractal Design Define R4 Window Modded - BitFenix Spectre Pro Blue LED 140mm Fan x1 - BitFenix Spectre PWM LED 120mm Fan x4 - Corsair HX850 80 Plus Gold Modular Power SupplyMicrosoft Windows 8 64-bit Operating System

You can probably find a canon T3i with lens for that price

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

You can probably find a canon T3i with lens for that price

I had a moment of "Uh?" then. But I remembered that in the UK the T3i is known as the EOS 600D. Seems like a pretty good choice, any idea what lens I could use? Another option I looked at was the Nikon D3100, any thoughts?

Gaming and Editing: Intel Core i7-4930k 4.6Ghz 6-Core Processor - EK Supremacy CSQ CPU WaterblockASUS P9X79 ATX Motherboard - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (8x4GB) 1866 Memory - EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black 1200Mhz 6GB W/ EK FC780 Ti Nickel Waterblock Graphics Card  - Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive x3 - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD x2 - Fractal Design Define R4 Window Modded - BitFenix Spectre Pro Blue LED 140mm Fan x1 - BitFenix Spectre PWM LED 120mm Fan x4 - Corsair HX850 80 Plus Gold Modular Power SupplyMicrosoft Windows 8 64-bit Operating System

I had a moment of "Uh?" then. But I remembered that in the UK the T3i is known as the EOS 600D. Seems like a pretty good choice, any idea what lens I could use? Another option I looked at was the Nikon D3100, any thoughts?

That would also be good

!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

That would also be good

I hope so :P May also be useable as a vlogging camera, although I mostly want to use it to take photos - Shame, no one seems to use a camera to do that anymore. I'll probably bag a D3100 with the 18-55mm lens kit for around £300, maybe get a camera bag at the same time.

I bought the T4i (650D here in the UK) for Video work mainly just before June. But since then I have also used it for photography, and it creates stunning visuals.

It is a fantastic camera, and it's predecessor the T3i (600d) is pretty much exactly the same minus the touch screen. I know that amazon recently sold them brand new with the 18-55mm IS II kit for £402 If you're just getting started that is all you're going to need for a while.!

If you bought that and then find that you want more lenses, I highly recommend getting some old Pentax m42 lenses, you can find cheapies on Ebay.

I have:

a 300mm telephoto f4.5 (prinz galaxy - i actually wouldn't recommend Prinz as mine was mint condition but still doesn't produce particularly great images.),

a 50mm F1.8 prime (pentacon lens)

and a 28mm f2.8 Prime (Carl Zeiss)

All of those lenses I picked up all together for about £100.

All you need is an EOS to m42 adaptor, I got one for £5 and made out of very high quality aluminium

P.s the swivel screen on the 600D,650D and 700D is a brilliant touch, it won me over. Incredibly handy extra.

Writing, guitar, piano, playing videogames and making films.

I very recently got into photography and what I bought my self was a d3200 with a prime 35mm 1.8 lens as prime lenses tend to be much sharper then their zoom enabled equivalents. It's worked well for me so far for learning and what not.

I'm planning on getting a 18-105mm or 18-200mm in the future as the 35mm just tends to be a little to close for me in some situations and a zoom would come in handy but other then that if your new to photography like i was i would really recommend a 35mm 1.8 as it gives you a wide variety of aperture to play and learn with.

I bought the T4i (650D here in the UK) for Video work mainly just before June. But since then I have also used it for photography, and it creates stunning visuals.

It is a fantastic camera, and it's predecessor the T3i (600d) is pretty much exactly the same minus the touch screen. I know that amazon recently sold them brand new with the 18-55mm IS II kit for £402 If you're just getting started that is all you're going to need for a while.!

If you bought that and then find that you want more lenses, I highly recommend getting some old Pentax m42 lenses, you can find cheapies on Ebay.

I have:

a 300mm telephoto f4.5 (prinz galaxy - i actually wouldn't recommend Prinz as mine was mint condition but still doesn't produce particularly great images.),

a 50mm F1.8 prime (pentacon lens)

and a 28mm f2.8 Prime (Carl Zeiss)

All of those lenses I picked up all together for about £100.

All you need is an EOS to m42 adaptor, I got one for £5 and made out of very high quality aluminium

P.s the swivel screen on the 600D,650D and 700D is a brilliant touch, it won me over. Incredibly handy extra.

I'm gonna guess you do a lot of video

I'm gonna guess you do a lot of video

Yes haha, mainly video. Hence the Canon as Magic Lantern is a really nice touch now that you can record in RAW!

But I do enjoy photography aswell, it's just not my main area.

Writing, guitar, piano, playing videogames and making films.

Probably going to go with the D3100. If you guys can't recommend another one/two lenses, I'm going to buy the 18-55mm kit. Otherwise, more than willing to grab a couple of lenses for my bag (it holds two)

Probably going to go with the D3100. If you guys can't recommend another one/two lenses, I'm going to buy the 18-55mm kit. Otherwise, more than willing to grab a couple of lenses for my bag (it holds two)

get the kit buy another lens when you save up some money or when you need another one