FX8320 - overclocked to 4.41Ghz

Ripjaw 16Gb 1833Mhz

Asus M5A99Fx pro r2.0

two msi r9 280x 3gb

Corsair 760 psu 

crucial mx100 ssd 

H100i if needed

Here's the dealio:

About a 2 year old rig, been working perfectly up until about 3 hours ago. I was under light load - Spotify and a java application and bam, everything shut down instantly. 

First instinct was to push the power button... and nothing. Motherboard standby light was on though.. Unplugged the power supply, waited 30 seconds and plugged it back in. Power button worked and we booted back up... obviously, after a cold boot like that, asus put me back to full stock o/c settings just in case. Booted into safe mode and it happens again. 

This time, I unplugged the power, swapped and reseated the memory and rebooted. This time, power button wouldn't work - so I used to little memtest button on the motherboard and it booted back. Stayed up for about 10 months minutes and turned off again. 

just to try and eliminate a potential over wattage pull, I removed one 280 and redid everything, booted with power button this time. About 5 minutes in, died again. 

Checked the mobo mono for any visual damage (capacitors), and there were none. When I got into Windows, I pulled up event viewer and the only thing it was able to log was kernel power unexpected shut down. 

Honestly, I have no idea what to do. All the components were purchased at the same time, timeline wise. 

I feel like it's a power issue, so my first step was to swap in a new PSU and see what happens. If that solves it, great. If not, another motherboard would be my next option. If not, maybe it's the processor? I have been overclocking the living hell out of it.. does this sound like an issue a processor might have?

If anyone has any tips to try first or any information that can help, please do share. 

Thanks!

PSU, motherboard or RAM probably. if it were the CPU you would get like a critical boot error probably

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I had similar problems years ago with a faulty power supply. Would definitely do that as a first step. A good quality power supply is never a bad thing to have. 

7 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

PSU, motherboard or RAM probably. if it were the CPU you would get like a critical boot error probably

I'm gonna give the power supply a swap first and see if that does the trick. It's weird, because the power supply is the Ax760 from corsair, the platinum rated one. I didn't expect it to fail, tbh. 

16 hours ago, Lyte Starr said:

I had similar problems years ago with a faulty power supply. Would definitely do that as a first step. A good quality power supply is never a bad thing to have. 

Was in fact the PSU. 

Thanks all!