Laptop not Charging

comicsansms

Hello,

Tuesday I was given 2 Laptops, a HP Probook 4310S and a Probook 4710S.

They were both running Windows XP, so yesterday I installed 10 on them.

After I had finished installing windows 10, the Probook 4310s now displays to "13% not charging" when the computer is plugged in, the charging LED on the laptop itself also isn't on anymore,

I have tried 3 different Chargers (3.33A HP, 3.34A Dell, 3.5A HP from the laptop, 4.74A no name) and it is still not charging.

Any ideas?

I'd check in the laptop internally, especially if the charging port had ever received stress such as a charging cable pulling on it for long periods of time. This happened on an old laptop of mine and something was wrong with the charging mechanism. 

Just now, Hydrogen1803 said:

I'd check in the laptop internally, especially if the charging port had ever received stress such as a charging cable pulling on it for long periods of time. This happened on an old laptop of mine and something was wrong with the charging mechanism. 

The computer stays on when the power is plugged in, so I don't think the charging port is bad.

2 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

The computer stays on when the power is plugged in, so I don't think the charging port is bad.

It could be a bad battery, considering it stays on but does not charge up. Maybe even something with the drivers, so I'd check those as a precaution. 

Just now, Hydrogen1803 said:

It could be a bad battery, considering it stays on but does not charge up. Maybe even something with the drivers, so I'd check those as a precaution. 

The thing is the battery was charging fine and holding charge fine a couple of days ago. I was moving across the files that the previous owner left on them and I wasn't plugged in.

This is a bit puzzling, I'd be sure to check the port to make sure it is not blocked by any dirt or anything of the like, and check the drivers and settings. 

my phone got dropped and keeps on reporting false battery percentages, even when charging, i've just gotten used to counting the use time of my phone instead of the actual percentage, that might be the issue - the software that's managing the battery

Just now, gtx1060=value said:

my phone got dropped and keeps on reporting false battery percentages, even when charging, i've just gotten used to counting the use time of my phone instead of the actual percentage, that might be the issue - the software that's managing the battery

This definitely could be. 

7 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

I unplugged it, it went died after 10 minutes or so. It isn't a faulty counter.

5 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I unplugged it, it went died after 10 minutes or so. It isn't a faulty counter.

I'd also try calling the manufacturer of the laptop.  

25 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Hello,

Tuesday I was given 2 Laptops, a HP Probook 4310S and a Probook 4710S.

They were both running Windows XP, so yesterday I installed 10 on them.

After I had finished installing windows 10, the Probook 4310s now displays to "13% not charging" when the computer is plugged in, the charging LED on the laptop itself also isn't on anymore,

I have tried 3 different Chargers (3.33A HP, 3.34A Dell, 3.5A HP from the laptop, 4.74A no name) and it is still not charging.

Any ideas?

Might either be a battery, or battery charging circuit issue. If you can try with a different battery and confirm it doesn't work, that means the problem is in the circuit.

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

14 minutes ago, Hydrogen1803 said:

I'd also try calling the manufacturer of the laptop.  

The problem with that is that the laptop is 7 years old, I don't think HP would support it.

I have tested using the HP Support Assistant and it has passed, I have also tested using CPUz, it has stated that my wear level is "10 pc [0x5A]"

3 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

The problem with that is that the laptop is 7 years old, I don't think HP would support it.

If you've gotten a laptop battery to last longer than about 4 years you're already riding on free time.

16 minutes ago, DunePilot said:

If you've gotten a laptop battery to last longer than about 4 years you're already riding on free time.

It is a Probook, it is meant to last.

The battery hasn't slowly decayed away, it is just not charging at all.