Unstable Power Supply

tomix1024

Hi,

I recently moved into a new apartment and I'm experiencing issues with my power supply.

Whenever my refrigerator turns on or off (or I (un)plug a fan), a very loud "click" is triggered in my speakers.

I was not quite sure whether this was induced by fluctuations in the power supply or by electromagnetic waves hitting my amplifier ;)

I'm currently taking the power for my computer from the bathroom, and so far it seems as if this resolved the issue.

But this is by no means a permanent solution.

Now that it works from the bathroom, I'm wondering whether this could be resolved by replacing some fuse or by the electrician?

Alternatively I would consider buying an USP. Any recommendations?

Greetings

PSU?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

In almost all homes, there are groups of power, each on their own set of wires/fuses. The bathroom seems to be connected on a different fuse, then your refrigerator and/or fans.

You could test out the groups in your house, to turn them on 1 by 1, and check which wall sockets are powered/unpowered. (keep a record of this, because it can be usefull in the future!)

If you find a place near your computer, on a different group then your refrigerator and/or other anoying power equipment, you could go and use that.

*Having a list with all wall sockets and their groups, is very usefull, since you can calculate the usage of the power on a single group/fuse. Try not to plug ALL your electrical equipment on to the same fuse, and try to spread things out a bit.

20 hours ago, UMxMarky94 said:

what PSU you using ? cos it could be crappy power in the apartment 

Yes that is the point. The power in the apartment is "crappy".

I have an OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W.

Spoiler

Indeed I think that this PSU has an issue, but this is another story for another thread, I think.

Depending on the utilization of my gpu, I can hear noises from my monitor when it receives an analog audio signal that comes from my pc.

Using hdmi/displayport as input does not result in these noises.

When the analog audio comes from another source ie laptop or phone it works fine.

Using an external DAC results in the same issue, powering the DAC from laptop works properly, from PC does not.

This is a long(er) known issue to me, and happens both with an AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz and Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080.

Back to topic:

20 hours ago, Dutch-stoner said:

In almost all homes, there are groups of power, each on their own set of wires/fuses. The bathroom seems to be connected on a different fuse, then your refrigerator and/or fans.

You could test out the groups in your house, to turn them on 1 by 1, and check which wall sockets are powered/unpowered. (keep a record of this, because it can be usefull in the future!)

If you find a place near your computer, on a different group then your refrigerator and/or other anoying power equipment, you could go and use that.

*Having a list with all wall sockets and their groups, is very usefull, since you can calculate the usage of the power on a single group/fuse. Try not to plug ALL your electrical equipment on to the same fuse, and try to spread things out a bit.

You mean checking which sockets in the wall correspond to which fuse in the fuse box?

All the sockets in my room run on the same fuse (switch).

The sockets in the kitchen run on another fuse (switch), but there is some "interference" with my room (as tested by fan ;) ).

The bathroom also has it's own fuse and has least interference with my room.

Btw the refrigerator and my computer are both located in the same room and running on the same fuse.