Mini sever project then main nas not working .

I want to thank you guys for previous forum topic for advices ( for picking right parts for my budget freenas ) but I am running some issues, country there i life, thunderstorm kinda often thing in summer ( and you all know thunder and electronics have a bit of bad relationship i don't want to burn my new freenas nas server ) where was one time then thunder fried all electronic in summer huose .

So then am going to travel ( or be far way from home ) and think good solution will be raspberry pi 3 using openmediavault and plugin plex and bitsync and i have some forgotten 2.0 usb hdd and going to get some use of it.

So i want to ask you good people of forum its good idea or not ? 

On that quality raspberry pi 3 can stream videos ?  as i read in forums pi cant trascode video or its false  ?

It would great if you guys give me feedback or suguest maybe another idea for this situation.

Thanks in advance !

Just now, Zygizz said:

Hide contents

I want to thank you guys for previous forum topic for advices ( for picking right parts for my budget freenas ) but I am running some issues, country there i life, thunderstorm kinda often thing in summer ( and you all know thunder and electronics have a bit of bad relationship :D i don't want to burn my new freenas nas server ) where was one time then thunder fried all electronic in summer huose .

So then am going to travel ( or be far way from home ) and think good solution will be raspberry pi 3 using openmediavault and plugin plex and bitsync and i have some forgotten 2.0 usb hdd and going to get some use of it.

So i want to ask you good people of forum its good idea or not
On that quality raspberry pi 3 can stream videos ?  as i read in forums pi cant trascode video or its false  ?

It would great if you guys give me feedback or suguest maybe another idea for this situation.

Thanks in advance !

It can transcode video, but it might not be a great or smooth experience. Why no surge protect?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Just now, AverageHardware said:

You could find a nice surge protector/UPS.

Just now, NinjaJc01 said:

It can transcode video, but it might not be a great or smooth experience. Why no surge protect?

originally i had three ups one was in my summer huose connect too my pc but was taken down :/ not working now but in my huose i have in rack two ups one for my gaiming rig another for my future nas and my consoles

Just now, Zygizz said:

originally i had three ups one was in my summer huose connect too my pc but was taken down :/ not working now but in my huose i have in rack two ups one for my gaiming rig another for my future nas and my consoles

But why aren't you using a surge protector, or why weren't you? You don't need a UPS for games consoles. If you can afford a UPS, buy a surge protector to protect your stuff.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

2 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

But why aren't you using a surge protector, or why weren't you? You don't need a UPS for games consoles. If you can afford a UPS, buy a surge protector to protect your stuff.

Ups from my work am planing for instaling surge protector in my huose i was talking with brother about that. Its just temporarily solution

Just now, Zygizz said:

Ups from my work am planing for instaling surge protector in my huose i was talking with brother about that. Its just temporarily solution

You shouldn't really run a FreeNAS server on a raspi3.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

You shouldn't really run a FreeNAS server on a raspi3.

I was saying my main sever was freenas :) im thinking of runing openmediavault

Just now, Zygizz said:

I was saying my main sever was freenas :) im thinking of runing openmediavault

Why can't you stream it from FreeNAS? Or at least run freeNAS in a VM and openmediavault in a VM?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

yeah of course am streaming from freenas server and using bittorrensync and plex sever too but you know I don't want too leave my main server running then it can be thunderstorm in city unexpectedly 

3 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Why can't you stream it from FreeNAS? Or at least run freeNAS in a VM and openmediavault in a VM?

yeah of course am streaming from freenas server and using bittorrensync and plex sever too but you know I don't want too leave my main server running then it can be thunderstorm in city unexpectedly 

Just now, Zygizz said:

USE A SURGE PROTECTOR. That will protect it from lightning. There's no point in running a raspberry pi as well.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, NinjaJc01 said:

USE A SURGE PROTECTOR. That will protect it from lightning. There's no point in running a raspberry pi as well.

Of course will use them but for now i dont have them :( 

Just now, Zygizz said:

Of course will use them but for now i dont have them :( 

Then don't use a raspberry pi if you only need it for a couple of months.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Then don't use a raspberry pi if you only need it for a couple of months.

Yeah good point but in my mind its going to be fun project :D am just wondering its practical

Just now, Zygizz said:

Yeah good point but in my mind its going to be fun project :D 

Then don't use a RasPi, try a nice older desktop, as a backup measure. You can always buy a rackmount case if it has a standard motherboard.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Then don't use a RasPi, try a nice older desktop, as a backup measure. You can always buy a rackmount case if it has a standard motherboard.

oh.. i didnt think about that :/ but for price Raspi going to be cheaper

1 minute ago, Zygizz said:

oh.. i didnt think about that :/ 

It would likely be a much nicer streaming experience as well. Maybe an LGA 1155 or 1366 based system, as those are getting cheaper, and you can do some virtualization on them later on.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

It would likely be a much nicer streaming experience as well. Maybe an LGA 1155 or 1366 based system, as those are getting cheaper, and you can do some virtualization on them later on.

Yeah... but for system like that you going to pay for used that around 130 ? for lga 1155 used if i right ( dont really know used market well ) . I dont think i going to used virtualization because i didnt find any benefit for that 

1 minute ago, Zygizz said:

Yeah... but for system like that you going to pay for used that around 130 ? for lga 1155 used if i right ( dont really know used market well ) . I dont think i going to used virtualization because i didnt find any benefit for that 

Virtualization is a very good way to learn your way around an OS. I'm not in the US, so I have no clue about prices.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

Just now, Zygizz said:

Am not living in us too :D  am in europe lithuania

I've heard hardware is quite expensive away from the main sort of block of Europe (Germany, France, Spain etc). I'm in the UK, so used hardware is OK I guess.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

I've heard hardware is quite expensive away from the main sort of block of Europe (Germany, France, Spain etc). I'm in the UK, so used hardware is OK I guess.

In my country is hard to find any sort of used hardware and if you find something it mostly overpriced 

If you are going to use plex and stream to your pi3, you can as the server side (plex hosted computer) will transcode the video for you and stream it to your pi3 over the web to a browser so you can watch it. I do this with a windows server 2016 and i just use my browser to watch all my stuff on other computers and my server will transcode everything that i watch and stream it to me. A pi can do it but just so you know you are also limited by the connections that is used so if you go to a hotel, they tend to throttle their network to less the 1Mbps.