HDD writing errors

Terve!

A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine bought a hdd through me and put it into his old pc because the old HDD in there had failed.

Now he has the problem that he is unable to install steam games to this drive - however he can regualrly save file onto it.

Unfortunately, he lives somewhat far away from me and I am unable to go to his house at the moment.

Are there known flaws in the installation process that lead to this kind of problem?

How likely is it that I will just have to RMA the HDD? (I checked it with crystal disk mark before I gave it to him and it was fine)

Please let me know if you need to know other things. (and feel free to tell my if I screwed up sentences)

Thanks for the support.

Sayonara!

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

is crystal disk info say the drive is good?

What error does steam give?

Try a run of badblocks

Terve!

Interestingly Crystal Disk Info showed that the C5 (current pending sector count) was in the yellow area. I double checked with my other drives, they all had 200 like the new one so I do not think that this is the issue.

As far as he told me, Steam says that it could not write to that disk - tbh I am not 100% if that is completely accurate.

Are the badlocks shown in Crystal Disk info?

If not please tell me your way of measuring them.

Thank you for the help.

Sayonara!

Just now, Shadow-R said:

As far as he told me, Steam says that it could not write to that disk - tbh I am not 100% if that is completely accurate

Could be a permissions problem or something else.

1 minute ago, Shadow-R said:

Are the badlocks shown in Crystal Disk info?

Its a linux program that writes a set of data to the drive and then reads it to check if there is no errors.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Could be a permissions problem or something else.

Its a linux program that writes a set of data to the drive and then reads it to check if there is no errors.

Terve!
I am not sure how that would be possible on a new HDD. Can I check that by just going onto the properties of the drive?

Also it seems that I finally have a good reason to fix my linux computer, I don't think that he could use Linux at all though.

Sayonara!