Windows 98 to DOS Driver question

destroyer3001

Hello all, i was debating whether to put this in general discussion or off topic as windows 98 is 18 years old now, but hey ho.

Anyway, my question is i want to build a DOS gaming computer and i was wondering if i install windows 98 will the drivers all still be working in DOS mode? or would i be better off just installing DOS?

Thanks for any help in advance :)

Why not save any hassle and use virtual machine to run any DOS games unless you have the bits and bobs laying about lol.

A menace to the scammer world. They hate me wasting their time when they are conning the innocent and giving to the idiots. 

3 minutes ago, nuttytechy said:

Why not save any hassle and use virtual machine to run any DOS games unless you have the bits and bobs laying about lol.

Building and running Windows 98 on hardware from the time is so much more fun!

Just now, Emmien said:

Building and running Windows 98 on hardware from the time is so much more fun!

I totally agree there. There is a fun element to it. I still got some of my old hardware from the windows 95 era. Sadly I still own a packard bell and I've managed to get the navigator working on my Virtual Machine and on the system itself.

But referring to the original posters question. I would install windows 98. 

A menace to the scammer world. They hate me wasting their time when they are conning the innocent and giving to the idiots. 

Just google dosbox. Chances are, windows 98 won't run propperly on a semi modern computer. (windows XP even won't support my 3 tb HDD...)

6 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

(windows XP even won't support my 3 tb HDD...)

It should do. Have you formatted it in XP?

I have seen 2TB used on XP.

@Emmien

Windows XP does not natively support GPT. A 3 tb drive, needs to be GPT, to use all of it's space. (otherwise it will get stuck @ 2.2 tb or 2.4 or something like that)

19 minutes ago, nuttytechy said:

For starters, virtual machines often do a very poor job of running DOS programs, particularly if they have significant amounts of assembly or do anything fancy with memory management. 

1 minute ago, Mark77 said:

For starters, virtual machines often do a very poor job of running DOS programs, particularly if they have significant amounts of assembly or do anything fancy with memory management. 

I've never had any issues with Virtual machine lol 

i already have around 15 computers (and piles of parts) with drivers for both windows 98 and DOS, so getting it to run right shouldn't be a problem, and i'm not using a virtual machine, because where is the fun in that? i'm just asking if i install all my drivers in 98, will they still work in DOS mode?