is x99 a futureproof MoBo?

They say games may start to using more cores in the future. Yes a lot of quad core processors are better than 8 core processors. Is a quad core just a fancy name for 4 cores? Unlike thee 2 duo where as its two cores connected?

I just need to get this clear. Would buying a 6 core intel core i7-5820k today, benefit in the future? Or should i stick to a faster quad core for now and upgrade to 6 core years in the future? Because the 6 cores have less Ghz and are much more expensive.

I would do a lot of gaming. I know most software actually use a single core instead so its better to have a 3.6ghz quad core than a 3.3ghz 6 core. 

Last question is a 6 core processor have the same architect set up as a quad core?

For games alone?   Faster quad core is better today.

But if you are doing things like video encoding as well, then more cores is better.

Is a quad core just a fancy name for 4 cores?

Yes it is a fancy of saying 4 cores but that is physical cores not hyper threading.

A 4 core CPU is plenty more gaming a multi core CPU is for more CPU intensive applications. If your only going to play games stick with the 4 core. The architect of a CPU vary on the chip set and model. For example all Skylake CPU's are all based off the same architecture and this can be applied to GPU's also. All the pascal GPU's (the 10 series) and also there is no such thing as future proofing as all parts are replaced with better parts within several years.

There's nothing truly 'futureproof'. By the time games leverage those extra cores to their full potential, those CPUs are likely to be irrelevant. A i7 6700K still handily beats out the i7 5960X in a DX12 game such as Ashes of the Singularity.

I will say stick to with the faster quad core i7 6700K. Games still prefer fewer, faster cores and I'm sure that trend will continue well into the future.

Of course, if you're doing other work such as rendering, animation, virtual machines etc., I would be going for the i7 5820K.

13 minutes ago, PainBlame said:

Last question is a 6 core processor have the same architect set up as a quad core?

The i7 5820K is a Haswell CPU whilst a i7 6700K is a Skylake CPU.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

The 5820k, with good enough cooling, can be overclocked as fast as a quad of the same generation so you don't loose out on performance there. Skylake can be slightly faster but it doesn't offset you will have 6 cores.

If it is worth it is up to you. Where I am the 5820k is a little more expensive than a 6700k, plus for a comparable quality motherboard the x99 will cost more. And you don't want to skimp on the ram if going x99. So, it will cost more, to get you more. For me, a 6700k has handled pretty much anything gaming I throw at it. Can't tell the difference in real world between it and the even cheaper 6600k.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Yes, an X99 mobo is quite future proof. I would start with an i7-5820k as it is going much less now.

tumblr_n2tr5whMiG1twu9tko1_250.gif every time someone mentions future proofing -.- 

CPU-i7 6700k O.C. 4.6Ghz-Motherboard-Asus z170-a-RAM-24gb DDR4-GPU-EVGA GTX 1080 FE-Case-Corsair 400c (white)-Storage-HDD: 2xWD Blue 1TB SSD: PNY SSDSC120GLC709B121-510 120GB-PSU-1000 watt coolermax-Display-ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 1080p 144 Hz -Cooling-Corsair H115i-Keyboard-G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX blues (Red backlight)-Mouse-Logitech G602-Sound-Logitech 5.1 z506

Need a budget headphone for under 100$? Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones

Got a Skylake CPU (k) Here is a guide to OC it!

30 minutes ago, PainBlame said:

Is a quad core just a fancy name for 4 cores

yes

30 minutes ago, PainBlame said:

Would buying a 6 core intel core i7-5820k today, benefit in the future?

Possibly, if the majority of games go to Vulcan/DX12.

31 minutes ago, PainBlame said:

I would do a lot of gaming.

Only get a 6 core if you do content creation (streaming, youtube videos, video editing, etc)

32 minutes ago, PainBlame said:

No, X99 is 6+ cores only, you would have to get a new motherboard if you got a 4 core than wanted to switch to 6 or 8

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Honestly, I would just go with an i7 6700K or wait for KabyLake (i7 7700K) I haven't seen a game where a 6+ core CPU has beaten a 6700K. Usually it's fairly even and the 6700K is usually 0-10 fps faster. Even in DX12. 

14 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

There's nothing truly 'futureproof'. By the time games leverage those extra cores to their full potential, those CPUs are likely to be irrelevant. A i7 6700K still handily beats out the i7 5960X in a DX12 game such as Ashes of the Singularity.

I will say stick to with the faster quad core i7 6700K. Games still prefer fewer, faster cores and I'm sure that trend will continue well into the future.

Of course, if you're doing other work such as rendering, animation, virtual machines etc., I would be going for the i7 5820K.

The i7 5820K is a Haswell CPU whilst a i7 6700K is a Skylake CPU.

The haswell- E  i7 5820K 6 core has a %91 best rating. It has 15mb L3 Cache. People have claimed to overclock it to 4.4ghz. At $390.

The skylake i7 6700k 8m quad core has a %88 best rating. It has 8mh L3 shared Cache. People have claimed to overclock it to 4.9Ghz. At $330

The skylake has a higher Ghz but the Haswell has 2 more cores and almost twice the cache  The price isn't a huge difference. Wouldn't the Haswell-E be better for price and performance? I want this computer to last the way it is for at least 5 years. You guys don't think games will start to go to 6 cores within 2 years? With 4k graphics cards coming out, and the new xbox one model actually has the ability to play in low 4k res. I find this to be a good hint.

Last question is going to be stupid but, if quad cores are 4 cores, than why does my quad core laptop have 8 processors? Does that mean a 6 core would have 12 processors? (I'm new)

Just found out, is that what threads are?

2 hours ago, PainBlame said:

The haswell- E  i7 5820K 6 core has a %91 best rating. It has 15mb L3 Cache. People have claimed to overclock it to 4.4ghz. At $390.

The skylake i7 6700k 8m quad core has a %88 best rating. It has 8mh L3 shared Cache. People have claimed to overclock it to 4.9Ghz. At $330

The skylake has a higher Ghz but the Haswell has 2 more cores and almost twice the cache  The price isn't a huge difference. Wouldn't the Haswell-E be better for price and performance? I want this computer to last the way it is for at least 5 years. You guys don't think games will start to go to 6 cores within 2 years? With 4k graphics cards coming out, and the new xbox one model actually has the ability to play in low 4k res. I find this to be a good hint.

Last question is going to be stupid but, if quad cores are 4 cores, than why does my quad core laptop have 8 processors? Does that mean a 6 core would have 12 processors? (I'm new)

Your laptop has hyperthreading then, it adds an extra thread per every core that is on the cpu, but is not as fast as a core, there is a good techquickie video on this. 

A six core hyperthreaded cpu will have 12 threads not "processors" those are the entire cpu. 

There are a few games that will use up to 16 threads now, but eight threads is the max that game devs are going to code for, reason being is that any 8+ thread cpu is going to be an enthusiast cpu, and will severely limit the audience that can enjoy the game. 

Get a 6700k, a z170, it will last a long time, for gaming the extra cores on the 5820k and such aren't worth it.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

2 hours ago, PainBlame said:

I'm not sure where you're getting these ratings from because they're irrelevant in the face of hard facts. And frankly, I wouldn't be worrying about L3 cache because that should never be a deciding factor. Overclocking capabilities are purely dependent on the silicon lottery. Not all chips will achieve 4.4GHz and 4.9GHz respectively.

Although you say price isn't a huge difference, you also have to factor in the cost of a X99 motherboard. For pure gaming, the i7 6700K remains king due to its faster single core performance and also holds a better price to performance. As the old techie saying goes, games prefer fewer faster cores over several slower cores.

I don't think games will utilise six core CPUs to the extent they will surpass quad core ones. I assume you are talking about DirectX 12 and Vulkan when it comes to multi-core utilisation.

Here's PCPer's benchmarks of a Ashes of the Singularity (a DX12 game/tech showcase) where Ryan stacks a i7 6700K against the i7 5690X. The former being a quad core and the latter being an octacore.

ashesheavy-gtx980.png

The results speak for themselves. The i7 6700K still remains dominant and that's not surprising since that's always has been the case:

As for your last question, what CPU does your laptop have? If it's a hyperthreaded CPU, each thread counts as a 'logical core'. So a i7 5820K with its six cores and twelve threads has six physical cores and twelve logical cores.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder