Postcode and Windows Problems

Go to solution Solved by DAGGER51,
On 10/13/2016 at 6:52 PM, zMeul said:

how do you know, from what am I seeing in the BIOS update notes it improves RAM compatibility and adds CPU microcode

also, get a live Linux distro and try if it works properly

Okay, maybe try that when I get the time.  But for now I got it fixed by turning off all power saving features in Windows and in the BIOS (including "Suspend to RAM"), and so far disabling sleep states has eliminated all memory errors and corrupted files.  I also turned off all that I can in Windows that tries to communicate while in a sleep state.  (Can't fully turn Cortana off, even with all the related options disabled that I've been able to find, maybe block Cortana on my router...)  Anyhow, it's been fixed, because a sleep state tried to initiate when I was leaving the computer for long periods of time, and the problems have stopped after I changed the settings.

Hello LTT community,

I've been having problems with Windows 10 and my motherboard recently.  Three desktop shortcut images won't load (CPU-Z, ASRock APP Shop, and ASRock A-Tuning Utility), and I've already tried to soft restart, hard restart, manually select shortcut icons in the properties menu, but nothing seems to be working.  My motherboard is a Z170 Extreme4 with an i7-6700K installed.  It's been showing two postcodes: 30 and 40.  The manual says they're related to memory and the CPU, but they went away once during a restart.  Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

Thanks,

DAGGER51

code 30 and 40??? http://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=334

they aren't listed, or do you mean 

01 - 54 Problem related to memory. Please re-install the CPU and memory then clear CMOS. If the problem still exists, please install only one memory module or try using other memory modules.

might wanna update the BIOS: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170 Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

Yeah, they're within that range.  Updating the BIOS though won't solve the problem with the shortcut icons though.

1 hour ago, DAGGER51 said:

Yeah, they're within that range.  Updating the BIOS though won't solve the problem with the shortcut icons though.

how do you know, from what am I seeing in the BIOS update notes it improves RAM compatibility and adds CPU microcode

On 10/13/2016 at 6:52 PM, zMeul said:

Okay, maybe try that when I get the time.  But for now I got it fixed by turning off all power saving features in Windows and in the BIOS (including "Suspend to RAM"), and so far disabling sleep states has eliminated all memory errors and corrupted files.  I also turned off all that I can in Windows that tries to communicate while in a sleep state.  (Can't fully turn Cortana off, even with all the related options disabled that I've been able to find, maybe block Cortana on my router...)  Anyhow, it's been fixed, because a sleep state tried to initiate when I was leaving the computer for long periods of time, and the problems have stopped after I changed the settings.