The reasons there are so few G-sync monitors compared to FreeSync

Just now, Sakkura said:

The adaptive sync standard is controlled by VESA, and that's what is implemented in the monitor. 

Adaptive sync =/= Freesync, they are not one and the same.  Freesync uses adaptive sync but one does not preclude the other.  Freesync is AMD's specific implementation of it.  It is licensed.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

13 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Adaptive sync =/= Freesync, they are not one and the same.  Freesync uses adaptive sync but one does not preclude the other.  Freesync is AMD's specific implementation of it.  It is licensed.

The monitors just support adaptive sync. There's nothing Freesync-specific in the monitor. 

Just now, Sakkura said:

The monitors just support adaptive sync. There's nothing Freesync-specific in the monitor. 

And that's where you're wrong.  Freesync is AMD's own implementation of adaptive sync.  It requires to adaptive sync but adaptive sync alone will not make Freesync work.  If AS was all it needed, Freesync wouldn't exist nor would you need a license for it.  Freesync is a licensed technology.  You NEED a Freesync license to implement Freesync.

14 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

And that's where you're wrong.  Freesync is AMD's own implementation of adaptive sync.  It requires to adaptive sync but adaptive sync alone will not make Freesync work.  If AS was all it needed, Freesync wouldn't exist nor would you need a license for it.  Freesync is a licensed technology.  You NEED a Freesync license to implement Freesync.

free sync is just the software. i think if a monitor has adaptive sync it will automatically work with free sync 

22 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Freesync is AMD's implementation in their hardware and their drivers. It's not in the monitor. That's why Intel can support "Freesync" monitors too, because the monitors are really just supporting adaptive-sync, which Intel is just as free to utilize for their own version of Freesync.

1 hour ago, MoonSpot said:

21.5".  I almost wish they'd just stop making anything smaller than 24".  Charge people that want/need smaller monitors a premium to account for the pain in the rump low volume products cause within the supply chain and tooling for short production runs.

1080p at 24" looks so jaggy though ew

I'd rather have a 21.5" 1080p monitor, and have my 24" be 1440p.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

54 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Freesync is AMD's implementation in their hardware and their drivers. It's not in the monitor. That's why Intel can support "Freesync" monitors too, because the monitors are really just supporting adaptive-sync, which Intel is just as free to utilize for their own version of Freesync.

Nope.  Intel will license Freesync from AMD (it's free anyway).

3 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

free sync is just the software. i think if a monitor has adaptive sync it will automatically work with free sync 

Manufacturer still need to follow AMD guidelines to get Freesync certification from AMD.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Just now, xAcid9 said:

Manufacturer still need to follow AMD guidelines to get Freesync certification from AMD.

but they can still have free sync without the certification

4 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

but they can still have free sync without the certification

You can have Gsync without the Gsync module as well but that is not what this thread is about. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Just now, xAcid9 said:

You can have Gsync without the Gsync module as well but that is not what this thread is about. 

no you cant have g sync without the module unless you are talking about laptop g sync which isnt really g sync its adaptive sync also. but with desktop monitors you have to have the module

On 10/14/2016 at 10:22 AM, Praesi said:

Like i said before, dont judge things you have not experienced yourself. 

Can confirm, G-sync is pretty damn sweet. But you pay a hefty premium for what is essentially just a piece of hardware, doing the exact same thing. Mind you, i am probably a bit more knowledgeable than the average gamer.

1st setup: Asus PG278Q 1440p 144HZ G-sync TN panel + Nvidia 980Ti. I think the range was from about 35-144HZ, i am not entirely sure since i never go that low. Anyhow, it worked great and at the time, the upgrade from a standard 24 inch 1080p monitor, to the G-sync monitor. Was experienced as better, than the upgrade from the 7970, to the 980Ti.

Looking around for a monitor again, i noticed Asus released an IPS variant. One G-sync version, and one Freesync version. The IPS Freesync version (MG279Q), cost some 1200 Norwegian Kroner (145USD) less than the TN panel G-sync monitor. And the MG278Q (TN Freesync) cost 2000 Kroner less (240USD).

So having tried the cheaper Freesync monitor. I now have a TN panel, which looks significantly better. I saved allot of money, but the sync range only goes from 35HZ to 90HZ. However, it's possible to change the refresh rate range to 60-144HZ. Though this require more than the average tech expertise.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

25 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

no you cant have g sync without the module unless you are talking about laptop g sync which isnt really g sync its adaptive sync also. but with desktop monitors you have to have the module

Both Gsync and Freesync is AdaptiveSync, Gsync without Gsync module will behave similar to Freesync monitor without LFC support. If Freesync is 100% software then all Freesync monitor should support LFC features but it's not. 

Freesync is less strict version of Gsync when it comes to implementation and less cost because there is no licensing fees. 

18 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Both Gsync and Freesync is AdaptiveSync, Gsync without Gsync module will behave similar to Freesync monitor without LFC support. If Freesync is 100% software then all Freesync monitor should support LFC features but it's not. 

Freesync is less strict version of Gsync when it comes to implementation and less cost because there is no licensing fees. 

no adaptive sync is a VESA standard completely different from g sync on desktop monitors but yes g sync on laptops is a form of adaptive sync

9 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

no adaptive sync is a VESA standard completely different from g sync on desktop monitors but yes g sync on laptops is a form of adaptive sync

What you mean by completely different? Not all monitor support Gsync even if you install the standalone Gsync module because it still need a panel that support Variable VBlank feature a.k.a AdaptiveSync.

Just now, xAcid9 said:

What you mean by completely different? Not all monitor support Gsync even if you install the standalone Gsync module because it still need a panel that support Variable VBlank feature a.k.a AdaptiveSync.

adaptive v sync is not the same as adaptive sync

13 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

adaptive v sync is not the same as adaptive sync

d6f.jpg

2 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

what adaptive v sync does is lock the frame rate at the nearest level like 30 45 60 fps but it just controls the fps of the game not the refresh rate of the monitor. adaptive sync changes the refresh rate of the monitor to match the fps of the game

6 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

what adaptive v sync does is lock the frame rate at the nearest level like 30 45 60 fps but it just controls the fps of the game not the refresh rate of the monitor. adaptive sync changes the refresh rate of the monitor to match the fps of the game

Sorry, which one of my post i mention Adaptive Vsync? Also that is not Adaptive Vsync, A-VSync will turn off Vsync when FPS drop below your monitor refresh rate. What you explain is a normal Vsync.

3 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Sorry, which one of my post i mention Adaptive Vsync? Also that is not Adaptive Vsync, A-VSync will turn off Vsync when FPS drop below your monitor refresh rate. What you explain is a normal Vsync.

no vsync just locks it at 60 fps. anyways you cant have g sync without the module

9 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

no vsync just locks it at 60 fps. anyways you cant have g sync without the module

Sorry you're correct about AdaptiveVsync. http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/adaptive-vsync/technology  /s

You can't or Nvidia didn't allow it in their driver?

1 minute ago, xAcid9 said:

Sorry you're correct about AdaptiveVsync. http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/adaptive-vsync/technology  /s

You can't or Nvidia didn't allow it in their driver?

you cant use g sync because it relies on the module but if nvidia decides to make software for adaptive sync then they can use adaptive sync but it wont be the same thing as g sync

6 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

you cant use g sync because it relies on the module but if nvidia decides to make software for adaptive sync then they can use adaptive sync but it wont be the same thing as g sync

Why a "software AdaptiveSync" it's not the same thing as Gsync with the module? What does the GSYNC module bring compare to a "standardize variable refresh-rate" function?

23 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Why a "software AdaptiveSync" it's not the same thing as Gsync with the module? What does the GSYNC module bring compare to a "standardize variable refresh-rate" function?

adaptive sync is the hardware free sync is the software and g sync is not the same because it needs the module not a standard of the displayport

i feel like we are not understanding each other here

43 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

adaptive sync is the hardware free sync is the software and g sync is not the same because it needs the module not a standard of the displayport

i feel like we are not understanding each other here

We're definitely not on the same page. xD

Yes Nvidia's current implementation of AdaptiveSync need that module right now but might not need it in the future.