Is there any way to change the controller slot trough Windows?

Hi! I have a question, is it possible to set a controller to be "controller 2" just trough Windows? I was googling around and a lot of people say that that depends on the game, but i'm fairly sure Windows is perfectly able to tell what number the controller is because, at least the Xbox 360 controllers, show up as their respective numbers if you connect more than 1. 

Now, i'm not using an Xbox 360 controller, i'm using a PS3 controller trough DS tools, but i'm using it as an Xbox 360 controller so I figured that if there's any way to change those, it will work for mine as well, any ideas? 

If you are wondering what it is for, is so I can play Left 4 Dead 2 on splitscreen mode, and have my friend use the controller while I use the keyboard and mouse (The whole thing about unplugging the controller in the loading screen didn't work, and doing it during gameplay doesn't seem to work either). 

Just now, zMeul said:

controller 2 doesn't "light up" unless there's actually a 2nd controller

But is there any way to change controller 1 to be controller 2? Like you can on, say, a console? Or maybe, is there a way for the computer to think there's a controller plugged already? 

no

unless the game allows you to select what control method each player uses, I can't think of a solution/workaround

No, because this isn't a typical use case for Windows and gaming. The most Windows does is assign a sequential ID so on the off chance games do use multiple controllers, it knows what to do. But otherwise what little I've seen on L4D2, if you configure it right, it knows that "Controller 1" is player 2. That or it's always player 2 and you're stuck using the keyboard and mouse for player 1.

Besides modern game systems don't care either. You can play a single player game as player 7 on a PS3. At least I hope you can.

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

No, because this isn't a typical use case for Windows and gaming. The most Windows does is assign a sequential ID so on the off chance games do use multiple controllers, it knows what to do. But otherwise what little I've seen on L4D2, if you configure it right, it knows that "Controller 1" is player 2. That or it's always player 2 and you're stuck using the keyboard and mouse for player 1.

Besides modern game systems don't care either. You can play a single player game as player 7 on a PS3. At least I hope you can.

Depends on the game, some of them won't let you still, tho yes, the amount of them is increasingly small.

I find it weird that it's a rare enough use case that nobody has comed up with a way to do it...And I don't know, I can't configure it to default to player 2, no matter what, I don't know what is wrong with it, the only way to have the second player move at all is to have 2 controllers plugged in. 

Also this is probably a good time to rant about how mad I am that Valve turned off the splitscreen feature on the PC version of the game for literally no reason and made us go trough this painful process to be able to play. 

5 hours ago, Tairetsu said:

Hi! I have a question, is it possible to set a controller to be "controller 2" just trough Windows? I was googling around and a lot of people say that that depends on the game, but i'm fairly sure Windows is perfectly able to tell what number the controller is because, at least the Xbox 360 controllers, show up as their respective numbers if you connect more than 1. 

Now, i'm not using an Xbox 360 controller, i'm using a PS3 controller trough DS tools, but i'm using it as an Xbox 360 controller so I figured that if there's any way to change those, it will work for mine as well, any ideas? 

If you are wondering what it is for, is so I can play Left 4 Dead 2 on splitscreen mode, and have my friend use the controller while I use the keyboard and mouse (The whole thing about unplugging the controller in the loading screen didn't work, and doing it during gameplay doesn't seem to work either). 

I use a PS3 controller too. You didn't apecify, but please make aureus you're using ScarlettCrush. It's not going to install malware like many of the other DS3 tools are.

Link: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

The directions are stupid simple. But I can change controllers like it were an XBOX controller using the XBOX controller app

also, if I unplug my controller and put it back it, it'll resync as Controller 1.

It's 100 percent possible to fix your issue.

1 hour ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I use a PS3 controller too. You didn't apecify, but please make aureus you're using ScarlettCrush. It's not going to install malware like many of the other DS3 tools are.

Link: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

The directions are stupid simple. But I can change controllers like it were an XBOX controller using the XBOX controller app

also, if I unplug my controller and put it back it, it'll resync as Controller 1.

It's 100 percent possible to fix your issue.

I use the one called "better DS3 tool", I didn't even knew there were other programs that allowed to use the DS3 on Windows, but I'll definitely use the one you linked if it helps with my issue. 

By "Xbox controller app" Do you mean the one you linked? Or are you talking about a Windows 10 app? 

7 hours ago, Tairetsu said:

I use the one called "better DS3 tool", I didn't even knew there were other programs that allowed to use the DS3 on Windows, but I'll definitely use the one you linked if it helps with my issue. 

By "Xbox controller app" Do you mean the one you linked? Or are you talking about a Windows 10 app? 

Is part of Microsoft's XBox controller driver. You have to download it fit ScarlettCrush. When you use Scarlet Crush, the PC essentially sees the PS3 controller as an XBox controller.

Remove Better DS3 and use ScarlettCrush. I swear by it since I find it out. I no longer have uses share buttons get mixed up or I have controller connectivity problems.

• 1 year later...

OK i found a way,   vvvvvv

1.go into big picture mode on steam

2. press the power button in the top right of the screen.

3. press turn off controller 

that should do it :]