4K Graphics and Gaming

Hello, 

I plan on building my computer to handle 4k graphics and such. Kind of a noob when it comes to building computers. I do now some things, But I will be honest, I don't know it all. 

That being said, I'm having trouble finding the necessary components to build the bad ass gaming system I want. I want it to be fast, handle extremely well, and satisfy my 4K gaming needs. I know a lot of games aren't really in 4K yet but I would still like to put the graphics setting to the max and just enjoy the Beauty and art actually put into the game. Would also like it to support speeds 120 to 240 frame rates to really get that smooth feeling along with the textures of the game. Kind of like those 4k TVs you see at walmart or something on display. I plan on getting a pretty bad ass monitor to support all of this too so it should be a pretty decent build. 

The 4K monitors which have 120Hz and above refresh rates are not currently available to the consumer market. Most have 60Hz refresh rates. Achieving that sort of FPS on 4K with max settings is difficult anyway. There's a reason why 4K gaming is a niche.

Give me a budget and I'll work something out. You might want to decide first on which you'd like better - resolution or refresh rate.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

The 4K monitors which have 120Hz and above refresh rates are not currently available to the consumer market. Most have 60Hz refresh rates. Achieving that sort of FPS on 4K with max settings is difficult anyway.

Give me a budget and I'll work something out. You might want to decide to which you'd like better - resolution or refresh rate.

I'm fairly new to the building part so I'm not too sure on how much everything will cost. So more along the lines of $1000 to $2000.

Would prefer a more economically friendly (by means of not buying a motherboard with spare slots that will never be used or a processor with cores that will barely be used.) They have some nice TVs that will hold gaming computers and such fairly well at high frame rates. Either way, 60Hz is pretty bad ass given other gaming consoles can handle is 30 for the time being. 

1 minute ago, RebelRAT said:

I'm fairly new to the building part so I'm not too sure on how much everything will cost. So more along the lines of $1000 to $2000.

Would prefer a more economically friendly (by means of not buying a motherboard with spare slots that will never be used or a processor with cores that will barely be used.) They have some nice TVs that will hold gaming computers and such fairly well at high frame rates. Either way, 60Hz is pretty bad ass given other gaming consoles can handle is 30 for the time being. 

Will you need anything more apart from the PC and monitor? Peripherals? OS? What else do you plan on using this computer for?

I'm going to mention this now - on this sort of budget, you will still need to lower some settings (not by much - high settings may be possible) to achieve a constant 60FPS at 4K.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

Will you need anything more apart from the PC and monitor? Peripherals? OS? What else do you plan on using this computer for?

I'm going to mention this now - on this sort of budget, you will still need to lower some settings (not by much - high settings may be possible) to achieve a constant 60FPS at 4K.

Not really a lot. Just the motherboard, Graphics card, sound card, the whole nine yards you know? Starting from complete scratch. I mean, I've looked into some overclocking motherboards and such. Some people saying it would be smarter to chose the CPU first and work it all around that. But my whole thing is, getting the necessary parts to fit. Not meaning to brag, I have the money. Just don't necessarily have the know how. I grew up on an old family PC playing counter strike with the graphics content all the way down and it would be laggy as hell. 

It's time to build a bad ass gaming PC for myself now that I have the time and resources to do so. 

Passing through this topic I was wondering why everyone says that 4K PC gaming is the top glorious mother of all gaming goals, yet also complain about everything being tiny on those monitors. So is 4K gaming good or too tiny? What's the real deal?

Just now, MaxBunny said:

Passing through this topic I was wondering why everyone says that 4K PC gaming is the top glorious mother of all gaming goals, yet also complain about everything being tiny on those monitors. So is 4K gaming good or too tiny? What's the real deal?

Wouldn't know Until I try it. My main gaming goals, is to appreciate the detail put into the game. You will notice on a lot of games that when you boost up the graphics, it really brings out the contrast and real beauty of the game. To me that is real art. Something you can enjoy and you never get tired of. Until the next best thing comes out of course. But I think 4k gaming would top it for me for a while. 

Well first, if you want to get 4k gaming at over 120fps then you're going to have to spend $2400 just in graphics cards. Then you will have to also wait for a 120Hz or 144Hz monitor to come out, as the TVs that are listed as having 120Hz are really just running 60Hz but refreshing the same frame twice so it's not really 120Hz. You could just buy one Titan XP and run the graphics on lower settings, but I personally would never sacrifice graphics quality for a higher resolution. 

My build:

i7-6800k @ 4.32GHz

ASRock Fatal1ty X99 Professional Gaming i7

G.Skill Rampage V 4x8GB DDR4-2800MHz @ 2916MHz

Zotac 1070 AMP Extreme @ 2100MHz

Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2 NVME SSD

Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD

EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

NZXT Kraken X61 CPU Cooler

NZXT Hue+

Corsair 750D Airflow Edition

3 minutes ago, JoshM813 said:

Well first, if you want to get 4k gaming at over 120fps then you're going to have to spend $2400 just in graphics cards. Then you will have to also wait for a 120Hz or 144Hz monitor to come out, as the TVs that are listed as having 120Hz are really just running 60Hz but refreshing the same frame twice so it's not really 120Hz. You could just buy one Titan XP and run the graphics on lower settings, but I personally would never sacrifice graphics quality for a higher resolution. 

Thanks. That's why I'm here. I think I would be pretty comfortable running 60Hz then. What would you recommend for some pretty serious graphics at normal or slightly higher resolution then?

1440p is a pretty good resolution to game at, in my opinion and they make 100Hz+ monitors for 1440p. If you're looking at just gaming then an i5-6600k with a GTX 1080 would be good for higher frame rate 1440p. A GTX 1070 would be good for 60fps gaming though. You could go for an i7-6700k though if you want to make sure you won't bottle neck at high frame rates in future titles. 

My build:

i7-6800k @ 4.32GHz

Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD

EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

NZXT Hue+

51 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

Only some applications (such as Steam) look tiny at 4K, and it's fixable. No big deal, my desktop experience is great.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/tkF8Z8

Something like that would be a starting point.

You could get a different motherboard with more features that you'd want, or get a water cooler for the CPU for better overclocking. Then of course you'll have to factor in the cost of a display, mouse, keyboard and headset.

My build:

i7-6800k @ 4.32GHz

Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD

EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

NZXT Hue+

If you want really smooth graphics I suggest a high refresh rate 1440p monitor instead of 4k. 1440p is a really nice resolution, and they're is a really good selection of gaming displays at that resolution.  

And for your budget, you can get an i7 6700k CPU and GTX 1080.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

9 hours ago, JoshM813 said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/tkF8Z8

Something like that would be a starting point.

You could get a different motherboard with more features that you'd want, or get a water cooler for the CPU for better overclocking. Then of course you'll have to factor in the cost of a display, mouse, keyboard and headset.

Any reason you chose the Z170-A over the Z170 Pro Gaming? I know they are virtually identical motherboard each at very similar prices except the Pro Gaming has if I recall better I/O (More USB 3.0).

Sorry to hijack thread OP, I am looking at getting the Z170-A or Pro Gaming.

4 hours ago, zJordan said:

Any reason you chose the Z170-A over the Z170 Pro Gaming? I know they are virtually identical motherboard each at very similar prices except the Pro Gaming has if I recall better I/O (More USB 3.0).

Sorry to hijack thread OP, I am looking at getting the Z170-A or Pro Gaming.

Honestly I just picked it as a starting place. If he wanted more features in a motherboard then he'd be free to get one. I personally would go with the Pro Gaming over the "A" but they are both good boards judging by reviews. I personally don't have any experience with them as I'm on an X99 motherboard.  

My build:

i7-6800k @ 4.32GHz

Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD

EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

NZXT Hue+

If you want to completely max settings in any game you will need GTX 1080 sli or a titan xp.

System

• CPU
    I7 6700K Overclocked to 4.6 GHz at 1.33v
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
    GSKILL RIPJAWS V DDR4 16GB 3000MHZ
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G overclocked to 2063 MHZ and 8900 MHZ memory clock
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage
    WD 1TB BLUE AND SAMSUNG EVO 250GB SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s)
    LG 25UM58-P ULTRAWIDE and LG 29UM58-P 29 ULTRAWIDE
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard
    CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse
    LOGITECH G502 PROTEUS SPECTRUM
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 PRO
  •  
  •  

Yeah a Gtx 1080 will run like medium-high if you want a smooth 60 at 4k, it will do into the 100s with 1440p and will be cpu bottlenecked (by a good portion of games) at 1080p. I also include a copy of windows in my build which a lot of people don't so you can save about $100

Id say about 2000-2200 is the price of a computer that can handle 4k readily.

This would be able to play 4k games maxed out pretty well, over your max budget though but this is what you would need. Also I'd say it wouldn't be a bad idea to get an I7 but it isn't 100% needed. I also include a copy of windows in my build which a lot of people don't so you can save about $100 if you wanted to take a sketchier way of getting that.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/6G7R4C

This is what would play 1440p well and be able to play 4k if you sacrifice settings for resolution.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/vg89KZ

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

19 hours ago, JoshM813 said:

1440p is a pretty good resolution to game at, in my opinion and they make 100Hz+ monitors for 1440p. If you're looking at just gaming then an i5-6600k with a GTX 1080 would be good for higher frame rate 1440p. A GTX 1070 would be good for 60fps gaming though. You could go for an i7-6700k though if you want to make sure you won't bottle neck at high frame rates in future titles. 

Thank you. This information is extremely helpful. Based on this thread, I will do a little more research and choose my build starting point. Thank you again.

3 hours ago, Moress said:

Yeah a Gtx 1080 will run like medium-high if you want a smooth 60 at 4k, it will do into the 100s with 1440p and will be cpu bottlenecked (by a good portion of games) at 1080p. I also include a copy of windows in my build which a lot of people don't so you can save about $100

Id say about 2000-2200 is the price of a computer that can handle 4k readily.

This would be able to play 4k games maxed out pretty well, over your max budget though but this is what you would need. Also I'd say it wouldn't be a bad idea to get an I7 but it isn't 100% needed. I also include a copy of windows in my build which a lot of people don't so you can save about $100 if you wanted to take a sketchier way of getting that.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/6G7R4C

This is what would play 1440p well and be able to play 4k if you sacrifice settings for resolution.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/vg89KZ

Awesome. Thanks for the help. EVERYONE. Really. It's all great information. And thanks for not bashing me for being a noob at this kind of stuff. Haha. I'm getting there. Will make a decision sometime tonight and probably start ordering the parts too. 

Thanks again.