Memory at 96% usage?

So, never had any issues until just the other night, when WoW started dropping to about 20 frames. Now my PC is at a standstill on literally anything I try to do. I can barely do anything on Chrome, let alone anything at all. 

Any idea what could be causing this, or any fixes?

Much appreciated.

AefjTaS.png

malware?

conflicting windows configuration?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

yeah, you have a memory leak of some description.  Maybe malware (although people always assume this but its harder to get than you think).

Check all your recently installed programs or modifications to existing programs (like new plugins on browsers?)

Any older programs that you've only just started using?

Changed any habits in leaving other programs open in the background that you never used to ?

Just go to processes and see which program is causing it. Try ending the task, maybe its chrome or smthg. 

2 minutes ago, Rohime said:

yeah, you have a memory leak of some description.  Maybe malware (although people always assume this but its harder to get than you think).

Check all your recently installed programs or modifications to existing programs (like new plugins on browsers?)

Any older programs that you've only just started using?

Changed any habits in leaving other programs open in the background that you never used to ?

I'm running a scan on malwarebytes now. But as far as recently installed programs n such, nothing un-ordinary. I haven't installed anything in months it feels like. Only thing that's consistently open in the background would be Discord and maybe battlenet. I'm a tad stumped

Click on the "memory" column in Task Manager 'processes' to sort the column in decending order.

The largest memory user at top if its a program you recognise then patch / update it or uninstall it as appropriate.

If its not something you recognise, post the list (image) here for help.

19 minutes ago, Rohime said:

Click on the "memory" column in Task Manager 'processes' to sort the column in decending order.

The largest memory user at top if its a program you recognise then patch / update it or uninstall it as appropriate.

If its not something you recognise, post the list (image) here for help.

I looked through it for a bit, but nothing stood out. The service host seemed to be the one thing taking up quite a bit. I reset my pc, and opened task manager after startup to see if i could catch anything draining it. But i'm at about 16% now. Gonna try and open WoW and see if it flickers back up.

So  ...  any standout should have been like 12,000MB of memory in use ... should have been pretty obvious.

Very few programs should have more than 1000MB of memory (more then 1-2 and you have a real problem).

Yes, it would be expected that a reboot would reset it to normal.

What you now need to look out for is:

1.  Does the memory used jump suddenly, if so what are the likely actions / triggers causing it.

2.  Does the memory used increase slowly, but constantly increase, not ever dropping much.   This is classic memory leak - harder to work out what is causing it.

Just now, Rohime said:

So  ...  any standout should have been like 12,000MB of memory in use ... should have been pretty obvious.

Very few programs should have more than 1000MB of memory (more then 1-2 and you have a real problem).

Yes, it would be expected that a reboot would reset it to normal.

What you now need to look out for is:

1.  Does the memory used jump suddenly, if so what are the likely actions / triggers causing it.

2.  Does the memory used increase slowly, but constantly increase, not ever dropping much.   This is classic memory leak - harder to work out what is causing it.

Well, i assumed it'd be obvious what was causing it to hit above 50% honestly. but nothing was over 150+ mb. 

But I will keep on the look out if it raises or drops. Until then, I appreciate the help <3

Umm... that means the memory used is orphan, ie not allocated to any program.

Thats the worst type of memory leak.    Most likely to be a device driver or system programme (or malware).

Hopefully you will see it jump rapidly and be able to work out a cause.

Make sure all your system software is up to date / patched anyway.   Patched any drivers or had any new devices lately?

58 minutes ago, CasualNick said:

I looked through it for a bit, but nothing stood out. The service host seemed to be the one thing taking up quite a bit. I reset my pc, and opened task manager after startup to see if i could catch anything draining it. But i'm at about 16% now. Gonna try and open WoW and see if it flickers back up.

If you're down to 16% after a restart, that means it was a memory leak. It might come back later, when it does look at the resource monitor instead of the task manager. ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I think we are having the same problem.When i start up windowing im using 12gb of ram.