[Scratch Build] Mini LP - General purpose low-profile case build

ccRicers

Mini LP - A General-purpose case for low-profile cards

uWrUR4G.png

I've looked at the compactness of other cases and like how there seems to be a downward progression in size (Dan A4, LZ7, Hutzy XS, STX 160.0). Lone Industries makes nice low-profile cases and so I've decided to go that less traveled route instead of trying to pack the most powerful graphics cards possible into a small space. Segotep's Desert Eagle II gets a nod from me as well. It's to serve as my main PC for now but it can also work as a entry-level living room gaming rig/HTPC in a pinch.

The case prototype will be built from scratch, and with home power tools. I don't have access to a machinist, don't want to pay the prices to get the case professionally done yet, so the prototype will be built with a budget and some ingenuity.

However, it still needs to be a well designed case with a minimalist look. Something that makes someone say "I don't mind getting that". Also, want it to be 4L in size and still completely fit a power supply inside (no external adapters necessary).

Spoiler: old design

Spoiler

Here's the design of the case by itself

LL

And a side view with parts installed. The mobo and GPU are not the actual parts I'll be using but just examples to show how it will be filled.

LL

"Mini LP" is a tentative name for my case and build. It will probably change later. It's designed primarily for low-profile cards, and it will sit horizontally with a riser like the console-style cases. This has been a build been a few months of the making but I have some pics to finally show some progress.

Here are the parts for my build:

• CPU: i3 4130T (maybe I could upgrade this)
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97i Plus
  • Memory: 2x4GB Samsung "wonder ram"
  • CPU cooler: Scythe Kozuti rev. B
  • GPU: MSI GTX 750 Ti low profile
  • SSD: SanDisk X110 m.2 128 GB
  • HDD: to be determined
  • Power: HD-PLEX 160W DC-ATX and AC-DC PSU
  • Case: Custom! The main focus of this build

Here's my current build as it stands. Just an open air bench for now, with the CPU heatsink and DIMMs sitting pretty.

fSL9puz.jpg

The current rig is powered by the HD-PLEX and a 150W Alienware power adapter. The GPU in this picture is a R7 240 (aka a stupid card as Linus puts it). It's very underpowered and the only reason I got it was because it was cheap at the time, and needed it for case measurements before receiving the 750 Ti.

So then after all's said and done the case will be approx. 280mm in height, 220mm in length, and 64mm in width. It can fit CPU coolers up to 40mm tall (like my Scythe cooler).

I started making the motherboard tray using an aluminum L-shaped profile and 1 1/2 inch x 1/8 inch bar I bought from a local hardware store. I don't have a saw to use right now, so to cut the bar into pieces, I drilled holes at the measurements and snapped it apart!

https://imgur.com/a/jyWE8

CFxZ4G5.jpg

tb5TCv3.jpg

I don't mind the scuff marks and scratches because it's going to be mostly hidden when the case is done, but I might brush it up a bit.

It's so cute >.< the tiny little ram sticks lmao.. one question; why are you using low profile GPUs? you can fit another PCI-E output and keep it the same size.. 

idk

Well, I was going to try to expand the case to be compatible with full height cards (that don't require power connectors) but 28cm it's just tall enough for a low profile card and power plug. It's already pushed up to the motherboard as much as I can.

However the design for the chassis is pretty flexible. I may revisit it again to make a larger Steam Machine like case for full length cards.

EDIT: I do want to add that low profile cards do limit the options you have for video cards. The LP 950 by Galax/KFA2 is only found in Japan and parts of Europe. Maybe a video card company will surprise me with a low profile 1050/Ti, I hope!!

I have that CPU cooler, it's surprisingly quiet! 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

Yep, it's pretty quiet for its size. And having a 35W processor helps, too.

I bought some aluminum profiles cut to size from an online store. It's one that offers cheap USPS shipping, so long as the parts don't exceed 12" in length. So earlier this week, I bought three pieces to make the front, top, and bottom sides of the case.

6iXfgIG.png

My parts have shipped and they arrived yesterday. More pics coming soon!

1 hour ago, ccRicers said:

Yep, it's pretty quiet for its size. And having a 35W processor helps, too.

I bought some aluminum profiles cut to size from an online store. It's one that offers cheap USPS shipping, so long as the parts don't exceed 12" in length. So earlier this week, I bought three pieces to make the front, top, and bottom sides of the case.

6iXfgIG.png

My parts have shipped and they arrived yesterday. More pics coming soon!

Used it on a my q6600 just for giggles. wasn't "terrible"

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

I sanded the mobo tray with a 220 grit sandpaper to give it a brushed look.

ojGo9Fj.jpg

ls4BwdK.jpg

clh699L.jpg

Ended up scratching it again, though as I had some issues with installing some of the standoffs.

The standoffs and screws I used were bought from Newegg, they're all painted black.

s-l1600.jpg

Which look nice with the motherboard, but the tolerances didn't account for the coats of paint. The black paint makes the screws tougher to insert, and the standoffs harder to thread. So when I had to use extra force to screw in the motherboard, they grip the standoffs too tightly. If I unscrew the screws the standoffs come loose as well!

Guess it's off to using boring brass ones later. Anyways, I have the mobo in place with two of the standoffs inserted. I used a scrap piece of acrylic as a shim to prop the other side up.

RIhZn3X.jpg

From the top side of the mobo, the fit is very tight.

BmJ6dlk.jpg

There's a problem with this. I placed the standoffs too close to the edge. The cutout for the I/O shield would overlap a millimeter or two past the edge. So I have to increase the distance to edge with hex nuts or some kind of spacer so that the top piece won't run into the I/O cutout. Probably some 5mm (about .2 inch) of distance would do.

Another update!

So that the back panel can be joined better with the I/O shield, I moved the standoffs down some 5mm to new locations.

[IMG]

Then I started working on the bottom panel for the case. One 2.5" x 8.5" aluminum bar, 1/8" in thickness. I drilled in 4 holes to join the side panels and mobo tray. The holes are for #8 screws.

[IMG]

Bottom panel with the side profile joined.

[IMG]

And attached to the whole tray assembly, with motherboard.

[IMG]

The whole assembly is now able to stand up. It's actually quite stable!

[IMG]

Now time for some nicer pics! Here's the motherboard with the current case assembly.

[IMG]
[IMG]

With GPU installed. Yes, I'm still using the R7 240 but I just have added the MSI low profile bracket so it fits well inside.

[IMG]

This pic came out more blurry but oh well:P

[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]

Resting back view. You can see from the closeup the space I left beneath the tray for the side panel that's yet to be installed.

[IMG]
[IMG]

The next thing for me to do is to attach the top side panel, which will be cut exactly like the bottom panel. Then I could create the small L-profiles to attach one of the important pieces, the front of the case.

• 4 months later...

I've brought back this project a few weeks ago but haven't done much work on the physical case, until now!!

It has a very different layout, again placing the LP card horizontally with a riser cable, but I will use a 200W Mean Well AC power supply inside the case, which will keep the case small!

It's not without kinks and scratches but the prototype frame is coming in nicely. It's cut and bent entirely with hand tools, from a square foot of aluminum.

ukSR2gK.jpg

fzRLwpR.jpg

3S83qiX.jpg

Most of the hard work is done. Several of the narrow flanges were tricky to bend just with clamps, and there is just one more major bend to be done for the front side of the case.

More work done thus far. Not a lot of cutting today, but I did get a motherboard to hop onto the case! I made a shim to fit the I/O bracket edge to the top of the tray. It was weakening around that joint.

MfsSQ6c.jpg

A better choice would be to add 5mm of additional space near the end of the I/O for the next version of the design.

Here you can see the shim screwed on, and also my 40mm cooler lines up perfectly with the flange of the case! So yes, the max cooler height for this case is 40mm.

U6dQuYx.jpg

FUx4D1C.jpg

I couldn't resist standing it up vertically on the desk. You can see just how small the footprint is when it's vertical.

VWnDy8K.jpg