Working PC no longer POSTs

Andanas
Go to solution Solved by r00tH4cK3r,

If the lights on the board aren't even coming on despite everything else working, its gotta be the board. My suggestion is, if the board is under warranty get it replaced. If its not, go with an ASUS or Gigabyte board. I like MSI and all, but they have a lot of people that complain about their boards being DOA or dying on them after a short time, under normal use.

Several weeks ago, I'd started a Windows 10 update, with my PC set to go into sleep mode, once the update was done.  I'd set this up, then went to bed.  When I tried to wake my PC (the following evening) it would not respond.  Id tried pressing the power button a few times, hitting a few keys on the keyboard, and moving the mouse.  Nothing that I tried worked.  The power led on the case was on, and flashing.  Not sure what to do next I held down the power button until the PC shut down. 

When I tried to turn it back on, nothing happened.  No fans, no beep, nothing.  I double checked all power and SATA cable connections, RAM seating, GPU seating, fan cables, everything..still nothing.  I began removing components one by one (trying to turn it on each time) til I was just left with a CPU, one stick of RAM and using the onboard video, and still would not boot.  Next I removed the motherboard from the case, (I didn't think there was a short, but I wanted to eliminate that possibility.) and placed it on its box, and re connected only the CPU power, and 24 pin cable.  So the only things connected to the motherboard were the power, CPU, CPU fan, one stick of RAM, and connected to monitor via on board HDMI (and yes, I'd tried all this using the video card too), and still nothing.  Through this whole process the power switch led on the motherboard was lit up, but pressing it, or shorting out the power pins would not work.  I started to think the power supply might be faulty.  I tried the paperclip test, and the power supply turned on just fine.

After all that, I'm thinking motherboard went bad, somehow, but before I spend time and money replacing it, I wanted a second opinion.

Specs:

MB - MSI Z97 Gaming 7

CPU - Intel i5-4690K w/ stock cooler

RAM - Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz 16GB (4x4GB) 

GPU - MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G

PWR - EVGA 850G2

Sorry for the Length, I just wanted to make sure I'd added in everything I'd tried while troubleshooting this.

What the definition of POSTs again?

I'm part of the "Help a noob foundation" 

Can you get into the BIOS? Have you tried to clear the CMOS?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, Carlos1010 said:

What the definition of POSTs again?

Power on self test

As stated above, try resetting the CMOS, and try it with the battery out

2 hours ago, r00tH4cK3r said:

Power on self test

As stated above, try resetting the CMOS, and try it with the battery out

agreed.

Just to be sure, did you use to have good temps ? (CPU ...?)

I cannot get into the bios at all.   When I press the power button (or short the PWR jumper),  nothing happens.   The Cpu fan doesn't spin up,  the fan on the power supply doesn't spin up,  and the post code leds don't light up either.   It's as if it's not even plugged in, even though it is.   And I have checked the plugs both the wall,  and on the surge protector,  trying a couple different ones as well. 

I have tried clearing CMOS and even withe the battery out.  As far as I know,  the Temps were fine.   I never noticed any issues in games, and the PC never stopped to throttle down. 

I do not have another cpu or fan to test.  If it is either of those two,  would I not get some error codes displayed on the led? 

I'd see if MSI can help you out. They're usually good when it comes to speed. It could be that the board is dead.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

I'd see if MSI can help you out. They're usually good when it comes to speed. It could be that the board is dead.

I think its a dead board. 

If the lights on the board aren't even coming on despite everything else working, its gotta be the board. My suggestion is, if the board is under warranty get it replaced. If its not, go with an ASUS or Gigabyte board. I like MSI and all, but they have a lot of people that complain about their boards being DOA or dying on them after a short time, under normal use.

14 minutes ago, r00tH4cK3r said:

It is under warranty,  but this would be the second time I'd be replacing it (first time was for a CPU  socket issue),  so I'm a bit apprehensive about going through that process again.   I may just get a new board,  either ASUS  or Gigabyte, as you suggested.