Cryorig C7 or...?

Hi, do you guys recommend Cryorig C7 for Micro ATX system? Or there's something better?
I need to replace Intel stock cooler for 4790 since it hits 60°C when idling, and 90°C when under load, while GPU and others still sit below 40°C idling, and 75°C under load, even after multiple case cleaning and thermal paste replacing in the last 3 months.
I need something below $50 that didn't block first expansion slot.

Thanks!

holy shit, that 90deg is not good

what is the maximum height of the cooler allowed in the case?

the C7's TDP is only 100W; is your CPU OCed?

if you are limited in height, migt wanna take a look at the Noctua NH-L9x65: http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-l9x65/specification

47$ on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608071

or the beQuiet SHADOW ROCK LP: http://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/570

30$ (limited offer)on newgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68V2TR2312&cm_re=shadow_rock_lp-_-9SIA68V2TR2312-_-Product - full price is about 55$

4 minutes ago, alphacore said:

Hi, do you guys recommend Cryorig C7 for Micro ATX system? Or there's something better?
I need to replace Intel stock cooler for 4790 since it hits 60°C when idling, and 90°C when under load, while GPU and others still sit below 40°C idling, and 75°C under load, even after multiple case cleaning and thermal paste replacing in the last 3 months.

Thanks!

The C7 will be fine, it's not great for overclocking but it will cool the i7 just fine.

A cheap alternative that performs better is this

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/b8h9TW/raijintek-cpu-cooler-0r100009

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

holy shit, that 90deg is not good

what is the maximum height of the cooler allowed in the case?

the C7's TDP is only 100W; is your CPU OCed?

if you are limited in height, migt wanna take a look at the Noctua NH-L9x65: http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-l9x65/specification

47$ on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608071

5 minutes ago, Energycore said:

The C7 will be fine, it's not great for overclocking but it will cool the i7 just fine.

A cheap alternative that performs better is this

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/b8h9TW/raijintek-cpu-cooler-0r100009

Maximum clearance is 165 mm. It's a non-K CPU, so it's on stock TDP.
@Energycore Is this cooler gonna go wider than the motherboard? I'm kinda afraid if it's gonna touch the top fans since this case is a bit small than others on the roof area.

42 minutes ago, alphacore said:

Thanks!

There is the Cryorig M9i which is a 125mm cooler I believe and performs a bit better than the C7. But the C7 is still a good replacement for a stock cooler and they claim up to 25% better cooling compared to an intel stock cooler (they claim from 87C on a stock cooler down to 65C on the C7).

21 minutes ago, alphacore said:

@Energycore Is this cooler gonna go wider than the motherboard? I'm kinda afraid if it's gonna touch the top fans since this case is a bit small than others on the roof area.

If you have 165mm of clearance I would recommend either the M9i or a fullsized cooler. Maybe a Hyper 212 evo, a Cryorig H7 (its smaller and doesn't overhang memory slots compared against the 212 evo, yet still performs better and quieter), or something along those lines. Realistically though there is not really any good reason for you to need such large coolers as they are designed for low-mid level overclocks.

Which case do you have and what sort of case fans do you have in said case (number, location, and orientation)? it sounds more like a situation of poor case airflow rather than bad CPU cooling. A stock cooler should not struggle that hard with stock chip operations (although its not a terrible idea to get a cheap aftermarket cooler anyway).

12 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Yeah, looks like it won't block any fans on the top.

2 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

There is the Cryorig M9i which is a 125mm cooler I believe and performs a bit better than the C7. But the C7 is still a good fit for a stock cooler and they claim up to 27% better cooling compared to an intel stock cooler.

If you have 165mm of clearance I would recommend either the M9i or a fullsized cooler. Maybe a Hyper 212 evo, a Cryorig H7 (its smaller and doesn't overhang memory slots than the 212 evo, yet still performs better and quieter), or something along those lines. Realistically though there is not really any good reason for you to need such large coolers as they are designed for low-mid level overclocks.

Which case do you have and what sort of case fans do you have in said case (number, location, and orientation)? it sounds more like a situation of poor case airflow rather than bad CPU cooling.

It's some random China case. 2 front fans intake, 1 rear exhaust, 2 top exhaust. All 120 mm fans. I didn't research much when buying this case. Derp.

10 minutes ago, alphacore said:

Yeah, looks like it won't block any fans on the top.

It's some random China case. 2 front fans intake, 1 rear exhaust, 2 top exhaust. All 120 mm fans. I didn't research much when buying this case. Derp.

yeah.... but with that much airflow even a poorly designed case shouldn't have much issue.... you don't have it tucked away inside some sort of cabinet or something do you? Some kind of mostly sealed enclosure that your computer sits inside? this could cause it to continue recycling its own hot over and over again. 60C is a very high idle temp... something has gotta be causing that, I would say a bad seat or bad thermal paste but you claim to have re-applied thermal paste which also means you've reseated the cooler a few times so I don't know.

37 minutes ago, alphacore said:

Should have no problem with the first expansion slot.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Raijintek/Aidos/5.html

installed7.jpg

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

19 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

yeah.... but with that much airflow even a poorly designed case shouldn't have much issue.... you don't have it tucked away inside some sort of cabinet or something do you? Some kind of mostly sealed enclosure that your computer sits inside? 60C is a very high idle temp... something has gotta be causing that, I would say a bad seat or bad thermal paste but you claim to have re-applied thermal paste which also means you've reseated the cooler a few times so I don't know.

Unless 2 SATA cables that cannot be tucked in the back since it's long, there is none.
That wasn't the condition it was since >1 year of usage, though. It was easily sitting 30-40°C idling. Maybe it was indeed the cooler? Since it's actually louder than before, it might be start to failing or something. Then again, I don't know. I might be better finding aftermarket product, and report back if problem persist and somehow my chip became hotter for unknown reason.

17 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Should have no problem with the first expansion slot.

installed7.jpg

Wow. Might want to go between this one or M9i.
Thanks all!

3 minutes ago, alphacore said:

Unless 2 SATA cables that cannot be tucked in the back since it's long, there is none.
That wasn't the condition it was since >1 year of usage, though. It was easily sitting 30-40°C idling. Maybe it was indeed the cooler? Since it's actually louder than before, it might be start to failing or something. Then again, I don't know. I might be better finding aftermarket product, and report back if problem persist and somehow my chip became hotter for unknown reason.

Wow. Might want to go between this one or M9i.
Thanks all!

oh okay. yeah interference in case airflow like drive bays or cables doesn't really make any difference to component temperature. and if you have new noises and newly arising temps then it IS probably just your stock cooler dying. of course its probably louder because you have a lot more cooling needs that need to be done so its spinning extra hard to get them under control.

If nothing else and you cannot find the source of your heat a larger cooler should be able to combat it more effectively to the point where it isn't going to be a big deal anymore =) gl with your rig!