Painting cables : void warranty?

Nashiwa

Hey guys!

This might seem like a dumb question but I'd rather be sure : I just bought a Seasonic G-650, and I noticed that the end of the cables right before the connectors are in that ugly red/yellow color, and I'd like to mask that so that it fits with my black/red color scheme.

In order to do that I see 2 possible ways :

1) Use black electrical tape to cover it up, which is non-permanent but wouldn't look quite perfect

2) Use black spray paint on it which will make it look much better

But would painting directly on the cables void my warranty or cause any problems with the Seasonic team if the PSU fails and I have to send it back?

Paint may contain a solvent that would damage any rubber/plastic bits. Also, if any particulate matter causes damage to the PSU, they may say it's your fault. Best way to know for sure is to check the warranty. Does it say painting them voids it?

5 minutes ago, Maxxie said:

Paint may contain a solvent that would damage any rubber/plastic bits. Also, if any particulate matter causes damage to the PSU, they may say it's your fault. Best way to know for sure is to check the warranty. Does it say painting them voids it?

https://seasonic.com/rma/

There's nothing about it written here.

5 minutes ago, AinsleyHarriot539 said:

To save your warranty I would recommend buying PSU cable extensions so you keep the warranty also you can make the cables look nicer.

That's actually a very good idea! I hadn't thought about it. Thanks!

Cable extensions are definitely the way to go.  I've been restoring and painting cars for 20 years and one of two things usually happens when you paint wire insulation, either the solvent in the paint reacts with the insulation and slowly dissolves it to the point where it feels sticky for weeks or the insulation starts cracking after a short time. 

20 hours ago, Nashiwa said:

-SNIP-

That would for sure void the warranty and modification from stock is not allowed if you wanted to claim warranty, as mentioned it would be a much better idea to go with extensions as spray paint will flake off and make a huge mess when bent.