Connecting gaming PC to home theater

zomgqwert

I'm currently trying to figure out what the best way to connect my computer to my home theater, not a huge issue right? Well, the main problem is that the plan is to have my computer on my office on the loft overlooking my living room upstairs. I need to somehow find a way to route a connection to the receiver downstairs that connects to my projector. Why would I want to do this? Casual PC gaming and general computer use. I want to be able to come home and sit on my recliner, and just do whatever on the big screen. Then when I get serious and want to do actual work, precision gaming, or using projector for entertainment, I can just go up to the office and take my business there. From the measurement I've done, it seems like the distance would be too long to just throw an HDMI connection without dealing with signal degradation. Luckily, the loft already overlooks the area so minimal holes required, and the L section on the upper right corner can be used to hide cables and whatnot. Looking for ideas on ways I could do this without lowering quality of picture or adding too much latency, any help would be greatly appreciated. Bonus points if you can figure out a way make the use of a Vive in the theater area possible without an extra PC there.

Attached: High quality layout made in paint.

quality.png

That's some serious MS Paint skill there!

How long is pc to projector? 

I'm going to assume there's no way to wirelessly connect PC to projector?

Because I myself, and I know people who have wirelessly hooked up their PCs to smartTVs, then just used a wireless keyboard/mouse

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

3 minutes ago, Statik said:

Because I myself, and I know people who have wirelessly hooked up their PCs to smartTVs, then just used a wireless keyboard/mouse

HE could use a HDMOi cable with booster to improve performance over long distance. Most projectors don't support wifi and why? 

30 minutes ago, Statik said:

Not natively. The projector is the BenQ W1070, and I believe it requires a separate transmitter for it to support wireless. I was looking into this option, but I am mainly worried about wireless interference since the airwaves here are pretty crowded, and I'm not sure about the quality of it, though supposedly is very minimal loss.

33 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

That's some serious MS Paint skill there!

How long is pc to projector? 

Thanks, it took me several weeks to paint this quality piece of art. I would say the distance is around 25-30 ft, which should be fine for 1080p60 for HDMI. I thought about doing the direct connection to the projector and skip the receiver, but it would be much more difficult to hide the wire coming from upstairs and would need to figure out how to connect to the surround sound system.

12 minutes ago, zomgqwert said:

Not natively. The projector is the BenQ W1070, and I believe it requires a separate transmitter for it to support wireless. I was looking into this option, but I am mainly worried about wireless interference since the airwaves here are pretty crowded, and I'm not sure about the quality of it, though supposedly is very minimal loss.

Thanks, it took me several weeks to paint this quality piece of art. I would say the distance is around 25-30 ft, which should be fine for 1080p60 for HDMI. I thought about doing the direct connection to the projector and skip the receiver, but it would be much more difficult to hide the wire coming from upstairs and would need to figure out how to connect to the surround sound system.

I would connect directly and figuring something like paint the cables with the same color of the walls/floow

19 hours ago, dexxterlab97 said:

I would connect directly and figuring something like paint the cables with the same color of the walls/floow

It would be the sensible thing to do. The main problem with taking that route would be the audio. Right now it runs through the HDMI, and receiver takes care of the signal to the speakers. I technically could run a separate line and send it through optical, though I'm not familiar with the standards for it.

4 hours ago, zomgqwert said:

It would be the sensible thing to do. The main problem with taking that route would be the audio. Right now it runs through the HDMI, and receiver takes care of the signal to the speakers. I technically could run a separate line and send it through optical, though I'm not familiar with the standards for it.

Won't an HDBaseT extender work for your setup?

1 hour ago, Stagea said:

Won't an HDBaseT extender work for your setup?

That's how I would do it, get a transmitter/receiver kit plus a roll of CAT6 and you're good for runs up to 100 meters.

• 3 weeks later...

You can get 100 ft active HDMI cables. Somebody probably already mentioned a kit that using ethernet cable. As for the Vive, you'd have to check with Corning to see if they make optical Thunderbolt cables that are long enough and do like Linus did with his personal rig. 

There are wireless transmitters for VGA standard available for cheap on Amazon.

There is also this thing which I know nothing about other than what it says on the Amazon page. It says 30 foot range with line of sight but you might be able to boost that with a range extender if necessary.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit