Certifications

Paytend01
1 hour ago, Lurick said:

Certs are great on paper and can help get you through some of the HR red tape, experience is even better and showing you can apply the knowledge will really give you a leg up. So don't just study to get the cert but work on practicing it as well and keep going after you get it.

Certain certifications though are literal money makers though: you find someone certified in one of the SAP modules like MM or ABAP and even with little experience you're going to have an easier time finding decent jobs. Of course SAP certifications are not the ones that you usually get easily or on cheap schools and such so it's kind of an upfront investment thing.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Don't know what country you're in, but I would recommend going to university and getting a degree. In a technical field, like IT, there's only going to be so far you can go without one. If you're great at your job, and also very lucky, people may put you forward for promotions but mostly you'll get to a certain level where, to get any higher, the minimum requirement will be a B.Sc. (or a B.A., depending on what it's in or where you got it).

You're still young though, so you don't need to have a solid plan for your future so I would really recommend not putting yourself in a position where you're only able to work in one field. You want to be able to have fun and try different things!

5 hours ago, Maxxie said:

Don't know what country you're in, but I would recommend going to university and getting a degree. In a technical field, like IT, there's only going to be so far you can go without one. If you're great at your job, and also very lucky, people may put you forward for promotions but mostly you'll get to a certain level where, to get any higher, the minimum requirement will be a B.Sc. (or a B.A., depending on what it's in or where you got it).

You're still young though, so you don't need to have a solid plan for your future so I would really recommend not putting yourself in a position where you're only able to work in one field. You want to be able to have fun and try different things!

i live in the US

On 10/4/2016 at 9:44 AM, Paytend01 said:

My schools allows us to take the test for the Testout Pc Pro certification. Is this enough to get an entry level IT job (I am currently 16 and in grade 11)? or should I take the test for this one and study for the CompTia certification?

My college professor for my recent networking class had us get the Testout course load on networking. I notice just like you, that each of the test outs have their own certifications. I did a little bit of digging, but could not find any industry value in the certification. That does not mean you should not take it as you have free access to it, you can still put in on your resume as it will show that you have something over nothing. Now I don't know how your school has it setup, but I had to buy access to test out for myself and it gives me 18 months of access and also at the end is a practice exam for the Comptia network +.  I would assume that the PC Pro would give you practice exams towards the Comptia A+.

7 hours ago, Maxxie said:

What I would do now is what @Maxxie and others have suggested and try things, getting field experience will help you know if this is something you honestly want to pursue and dump money into. If it is a job field over a hobby for you then great, if not then also great! After all you are your own person with your own goals and experiences.