Lenovo yoga 3 pro Dead in 2 days

Sentryy

My lenovo yoga 3 pro that I bought 2 days ago let off 2 beeps and shut off entirely when i switched to tablet mode and rotated the screen

At the time I had Cisco Packet tracer open just playing around with it 

It now boots into troubleshooting mode and will not restore to a save yesterday error 8000ffff or something like that 

I am now factory resetting it to see if that helps 

Bought as an open box refurbished for $570 at microcenter

I did buy an extended warranty for $100 but I don't want to lose $130 (warranty and tax) because it died in 2 days if they can't fix it  

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

Return it, it's their responsibility to give you a new unit if that one can't be repaired.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Return it, it's their responsibility to give you a new unit if that one can't be repaired.

Well if they can't fix it they give me a $570 gift card and I lose the tax money and the cost of the warranty.

If I return it I must pay a fee for them to reset it 

so it's a lose-lose situation 

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

I would try and have sympathy for you, but.....

Technology strikes back, bitch. 

21 minutes ago, Sentryy said:

Well if they can't fix it they give me a $570 gift card and I lose the tax money and the cost of the warranty.

If I return it I must pay a fee for them to reset it 

so it's a lose-lose situation 

Return it for a full refund.  Open box items are no different than new items as far as taxes returned.  You will receive your purchase price amount plus taxes back.

As far as the extended service plan.  Get your money back on that as well.  It clearly states the refund policy for the plan, which is about the same as any extended service plan.

I've returned a few open boxed laptops and there are no additional fees associated with this.

Micro Center is extremely return friendly so don't sweat it.

Capture.JPG

3 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Return it for a full refund.  Open box items are no different than new items as far as taxes returned.  You will receive your purchase price amount plus taxes back.

As far as the extended service plan.  Get your money back on that as well.  It clearly states the refund policy for the plan, which is about the same as any extended service plan.

I've returned a few open boxed laptops and there are no additional fees associated with this.

Micro Center is extremely return friendly so don't sweat it.

Capture.JPG

Okay thanks for this

The issue is that my aunt paid for 250 of it and I paid 460 of it

Would they refund in full cash as my aunt went home across the country 

Just now, Sentryy said:

Okay thanks for this

The issue is that my aunt paid for 250 of it and I paid 460 of it

Would they refund in full cash as my aunt went home across the country 

Ask for a store credit and they'll put the full amount on a Micro Center gift card. 

15 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Ask for a store credit and they'll put the full amount on a Micro Center gift card. 

They don't have any more of that laptop 

Would they replace it with the same laptop but a higher tier one because they sold me a faulty laptop 

Because they don't have any other that I would be interested in

It installed windows but I don't know how stable it is as I reinstalled it and less than 48 hours later it did this 

Would that be pushing it? Should I run a stress test to see if it's stable? 

What should I do before I bring it back?

36 minutes ago, Sentryy said:

They don't have any more of that laptop 

Would they replace it with the same laptop but a higher tier one because they sold me a faulty laptop 

Because they don't have any other that I would be interested in

It installed windows but I don't know how stable it is as I reinstalled it and less than 48 hours later it did this 

You're going to have to choose a path and stick to it bud.  If you want to get another laptop, you may have to except a different model if they don't have the exact same one available.  Not much they can do about that, but I wouldn't expect them to give you one of greater value than the refurbished item that you originally purchased.

Part of the reason why you were able to get the higher end laptop was because you purchased an open box/refurbished unit.  They will more than likely not give you a brand new unopened one of higher value.

When we started this conversation, you thought you were losing money spent on both taxes and the extended service plan.  If you end up getting all of that back plus the money that your aunt spent to help you, I'd consider that a win.  You might not want to push it too far.  :)

Either that or submit the one that you have for repair under your extended service plan and hopefully they fix it and do it correctly.  If not, they end up refunding your money anyways.  

My experience with quite a few Micro Center stores is that MC is very good with returns, but don't expect them to give you more than what you paid for.

Good luck man.

@Rune

10 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

You're going to have to choose a path and stick to it bud.  If you want to get another laptop, you may have to except a different model if they don't have the exact same one available.  Not much they can do about that, but I wouldn't expect them to give you one of greater value than the refurbished item that you originally purchased.

Part of the reason why you were able to get the higher end laptop was because you purchased an open box/refurbished unit.  They will more than likely not give you a brand new unopened one of higher value.

When we started this conversation, you thought you were losing money spent on both taxes and the extended service plan.  If you end up getting all of that back plus the money that your aunt spent to help you, I'd consider that a win.  You might not want to push it too far.  :)

Either that or submit the one that you have for repair under your extended service plan and hopefully they fix it and do it correctly.  If not, they end up refunding your money anyways.  

My experience with quite a few Micro Center stores is that MC is very good with returns, but don't expect them to give you more than what you paid for.

Good luck man.

okay thanks

going to stress test for tonight and see if it does the same thing 

if it is fine I will just keep it because I really like it 

thanks again

worst case it doesn't work and I need to bring it in and get a $705 gift card for microcenter 

4 hours ago, Sentryy said:

I did buy an extended warranty for $100 but I don't want to lose $130 (warranty and tax) because it died in 2 days if they can't fix it 

You get a refund on the warranties as well. I'm sorry you're having trouble with the Lenovo. I'd be interested in knowing what the yellow label on the box said of the condition? If they don't have the exact model in stock you would want to exchange for, they should be able to give you a refund at the very least.

3 minutes ago, Rune said:

You get a refund on the warranties as well. I'm sorry you're having trouble with the Lenovo. I'd be interested in knowing what the yellow label on the box said of the condition? If they don't have the exact model in stock you would want to exchange for, they should be able to give you a refund at the very least.

On the top one it says "complete" there is another word next to it but its was scribbled out with a pen it starts with O and ends with NS if that helps

Under there is a green sticker with a repair order 

Are you at the Boston Store? 

Just now, Sentryy said:

On the top one it says "complete" there is another word next to it but its was scribbled out with a pen it starts with O and ends with NS if that helps

Under there is a green sticker with a repair order 

Are you at the Boston Store? 

Repair orders usually mean a noncritical part (fan, usb port, etc) was faulty in the computer and it was replaced. Generally nothing that would cause an error along the lines of what you described, but I supposed anything is possible.

I unfortunately can't answer which location I work at :P

11 minutes ago, Rune said:

Repair orders usually mean a noncritical part (fan, usb port, etc) was faulty in the computer and it was replaced. Generally nothing that would cause an error along the lines of what you described, but I supposed anything is possible.

I unfortunately can't answer which location I work at :P

Okay
What about the scribbled out thing on the condition 

I read Ov*******S

Would that mean something important they were trying to cover up? 

2 minutes ago, Sentryy said:

Okay
What about the scribbled out thing on the condition 

I read Ov*******S

Would that mean something important they were trying to cover up? 

Unfortunately not sure what it was... but you can check here with the repair number (if it is on the label still, some stores tear them off when repaired) to see what was done.

3 minutes ago, Rune said:

Unfortunately not sure what it was... but you can check here with the repair number (if it is on the label still, some stores tear them off when repaired) to see what was done.

yeah it was there

no parts listed on it though (the website) 

i am stress testing right now and all seems fine for the last 20 minutes 

lets wait and see if it does it again I will go in store and get a refund/replacment 

Just now, Sentryy said:

yeah it was there

no parts listed on it though (the website) 

i am stress testing right now and all seems fine for the last 20 minutes 

lets wait and see if it does it again I will go in store and get a refund/replacment 

Hm...Okay. Best of luck, and if you want to go the return route and have any problems, PM me and I'll see if I can look into it for you. MC takes customer service seriously, and if someone isn't doing the right thing we want to know.

4 minutes ago, Rune said:

Hm...Okay. Best of luck, and if you want to go the return route and have any problems, PM me and I'll see if I can look into it for you. MC takes customer service seriously, and if someone isn't doing the right thing we want to know.

okay thanks i appreciate it 

will wait until tomorrow see how this stress test goes 

if i do return it it will be tomorrow or thursday 

59 minutes ago, Rune said:

Just going to ask you since you probably know better than me, just because this has done this once do you think I should return it? I have been stress testing for the past hour with 0 crashes or even thermal throttling. Any stress tests you would recommend to run to be sure? Should I run it for the GPU and SSD as well (it was unchecked originally so i didn't bother)  

1 hour ago, Sentryy said:

Just going to ask you since you probably know better than me, just because this has done this once do you think I should return it? I have been stress testing for the past hour with 0 crashes or even thermal throttling. Any stress tests you would recommend to run to be sure? Should I run it for the GPU and SSD as well (it was unchecked originally so i didn't bother)  

One crash is not a trend. Give it a few more days and see how it goes!

23 minutes ago, Rune said:

Okay so if it happens again I know to bring it back 

10 hours ago, Rune said:

Hey thanks for chiming in on that.  You and I talked in the past, but I couldn't remember your username.  As luck would have it, minutes later we ended up in the same thread and I remembered the name.  :D

The two stores I have local to me are both pretty awesome.  I don't ever worry about purchases I make at MC simply because of the hassle free return/exchange process.  It really does factor into my decision making.

12 hours ago, Sentryy said:

You should really avoid stress testing SSDs especially for unusually long periods of time.  I can't image that excessive writes are too healthy for the drive.  

GPU?  Stress away.

Hopefully all worked out well for you.

11 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

You should really avoid stress testing SSDs especially for unusually long periods of time.  I can't image that excessive writes are too healthy for the drive.  

GPU?  Stress away.

Hopefully all worked out well for you.

It luckily did not crash at all with 3 hours of cpu stress test and 15 min of gpu stress