Why is my windows C drive so full?

ramm

Hello,

i noticed I got only 10gb left on an 250gb SSD that is my C drive. When looking which folder is the biggest I can see that the windows folder is almost 100gb.

Why does it have to be so big? Isn't there anything I can delete? Normal pc cleanup doesnt do anything

Thanks

Your System Restore points might be to blame. Download CCleaner to remove all of them but the latest. I'd also try running Disk Cleanup.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

CCleaner, is that needed or is there another way to remove old files? I'm not a fan of installing stuff since I kinda want my PC to become faster.

Normal disk cleanup doesnt show anything to remove, just a couple of MB's.

Nevermind im running Ccleaner already, it deleted 80gb

lol!

thanks guys

4 minutes ago, ramm said:

CCleaner, is that needed or is there another way to remove old files? I'm not a fan of installing stuff since I kinda want my PC to become faster.

Normal disk cleanup doesnt show anything to remove, just a couple of MB's.

CCleaner doesn't take up much space. Only about 18MB.

Click on "Clean up system files" and see if that reveals anything. If that still doesn't help, once the scanning ends, navigate to More Tools and click on "Clean Up" for "System Restore and Shadow Copies."

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Just now, nomes said:

CCleaner is a pretty lightweight application and you can always uninstall it afterwards. There even seems to be a portable version so you could avoid any installation what-so-ever.

yeah i installed it already, didnt know it was from periform thats an ok company i think

i got 80gb left so it deleted 75gb or something

i hope my pc will run faster now too, any other tricks i can use to make my pc run faster? im too lazy and have too little time to do a complete format

1 minute ago, ramm said:

Nevermind im running Ccleaner already, it deleted 80gb

lol!

thanks guys

What did the 80GB consist of?

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What did the 80GB consist of?

hmmm, thats weird

i thought windows files but when i go look i see my windows folder is still 88gb instead of 100gb, so it must have deleted stuff elsewhere

very odd..

1 minute ago, ramm said:

yeah i installed it already, didnt know it was from periform thats an ok company i think

I would never have someone install a program that I haven't verified myself or through reputable websites, and if the program is large, that's also something I'd mention.

1 minute ago, ramm said:

i thought windows files but when i go look i see my windows folder is still 88gb instead of 100gb, so it must have deleted stuff elsewhere

I'm curious as to what you have restored in that folder because my Windows folder takes up 14.7GB.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I would never have someone install a program that I haven't verified myself or through reputable websites, and if the program is large, that's also something I'd mention.

good to know im in good hands :P

i use ccleaner at friends houses but never myself, which is also kind of weird.

So anyway, my windows folder is still 88gb in size instead of 100gb, so it still deleted over 60gb somewhere. Anyone know where this somewhere could be?

2 minutes ago, ramm said:

good to know im in good hands :P

i use ccleaner at friends houses but never myself, which is also kind of weird.

So anyway, my windows folder is still 88gb in size instead of 100gb, so it still deleted over 60gb somewhere. Anyone know where this somewhere could be?

Did you have anything in your Recycling Bin?

Also, using CCleaner, can you check to see how many System Restore points you have?

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Did you have anything in your Recycling Bin?

Also, using CCleaner, can you check to see how many System Restore points you have?

nah i think the recycling bin has always been empty except when I dont press shift hard enough when using shift+delete

im not quite sure how to find that, let me look

Just now, ramm said:

nah i think the recycling bin has always been empty except when I dont press shift hard enough when using shift+delete

im not quite sure how to find that, let me look

Navigate to Tools. You should see some buttons, one of them being System Restore.

Shadow copies...

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

Navigate to Tools. You should see some buttons, one of them being System Restore.

Found it, I got over 10 entries, all with a single day apart

I never use system restore myself i used to just format every year or so when my PC was getting slow but I dont want to go through all that trouble because its still a days work to format and reinstall everything etc

1 minute ago, ramm said:

Found it, I got over 10 entries, some just a single day apart

I never use system restore myself i used to just format every year or so when my PC was getting slow but I dont want to go through all that trouble because its still a days work to format and reinstall everything etc

You'll free up space by deleting those - the latest one won't be removed because CCleaner locks you out of it. Disk Cleanup can also remove Shadow Copies.

You'll free up space by deleting those - the latest one won't be removed because CCleaner locks you out of it. Disk Cleanup can also remove Shadow Copies.

I deleted all except the undeletable one but it only saved a few GB's. Windows folder is still over 80gb which is alot I think?

Just now, ramm said:

I deleted all except the undeletable one but it only saved a few GB's. Windows folder is still over 80gb which is alot I think?

Can you go into the folder and look at each folder to see what is taking up so much space? It might take a while to look at every folder. 

Can you go into the folder and look at each folder to see what is taking up so much space? It might take a while to look at every folder. 

Already done (I use total commander so its faster)

Biggest one is "assembly" with 71gb

Second is "System32" with 5.3gb

Third is "Installer" with 1.8gb

Fourth "SysWOW64" with 1.4gb

Fifth "SoftwareDistribution" with 1.2gb

The rest is all smaller than 1gb

Just now, ramm said:

Already done (I use total commander so its faster)

Biggest one is "assembly" with 71gb

Second is "System32" with 5.3gb

Third is "Installer" with 1.8gb

Fourth "SysWOW64" with 1.4gb

Fifth "SoftwareDistribution" with 1.2gb

The rest is all smaller than 1gb

Strange. My assembly folder takes up less than 900MB.

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Strange. My assembly folder takes up less than 900MB.

It has a few folders

"GAC" folders that arent that big

but it also has

"NativeImages_v28uwydsujyfudyhfuasdyhfs" folders which are alot bigger.

I'm guessing these are backups of my computer? I dont think I ever used backups or am gonna to (i'd rather format) so can I just shift+delete them?

3 minutes ago, ramm said:

It has a few folders

"GAC" folders that arent that big

but it also has

"Nativeimages_v28uwydsujyfudyhfuasdyhfs" folders which are alot bigger.

I'm guessing these are backups of my computer? I dont think I ever used backups or am gonna to (i'd rather format) so can I just shift+delete them?

I've never dealt with either of those folders personally.

Kinda just dropping this in as a last resort: how much of a hassle would reinstalling be?

At some point you'll dive that deep into files you'd probably just be better off starting fresh, and if there's not really anything important on the drive (this is why i manually softlink game saves to my hard drive) doing a 'well planned' reinstall isnt more than an afternoon of clicking next.

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I've never dealt with either of those folders personally.

As i was typing out i kinda got to think "windows 7/8.1 -> 10 upgrade files?"

@ramm which os are you running, and how many updates/upgrades has it gone trough?