Upgrade graphics card ion Laptop

Hey I'm new in all these computer stuff,

I was wondering if there's any possibility to upgrade the graphics card in my laptop and if so which ones are compatible?

My laptop is a Asus Q552UB with a Geforce 940M.

thanks fellas.

Welcome to LinusTechTips Forums! (aka LTT forums), i hope you will have good memories here. if you didn't know we usually use pcpartpicker.com website for listing the pc hardware when someone is planning a pc build. is a good website for knowing the price of the hardware.

For what you'r asking:

Generally speaking, Nope. Sorry. it's not possible. only desktop can upgrade.

But wait there's more...

Some laptops can use external GPU's like the razer's laptops, and you can change the gpu in you laptop but is not worth it.

Just build a desktop instead.

There are some laptops that will sort of allow you to that to certain extend. for example "laptops" (more like desktop replacements) that use MXM video cards like the MSI Titan (US $ 3800+) . The other option is an external GPU like the Razer Core or the Alienware Amplifier, but that only works with very few laptops, and is very expensive as well (price of the laptop + around US $ 500 for the core or amplifier + the price of the video card that can go form US $150 al the way to US $800+)

But as posted above, your better of buying a desktop (for gaming) and a laptop (for portability) with that amount of money. But generally if a laptop video card is integrated to the laptop motherboard and cannot be upgraded.

Welcome to LLT.

Generally, mobile video cards are designed to spec by the laptop pc maker, so there is no real "general" form of mobile video card.  This means that the video card on laptops have different screw holes, plug into the motherboard differently, have different thicknesses etc.  

Basically, unlike pci-e video cards (who all follow a certain size, dimensions and a specific way to fit in the computer) there is no one size/form fits all.  

Your only hope would be to find a similar laptop that happens to have a higher end graphics card inside of it, then maybe you can switch it out, but even that seems more trouble than what it's worth.