OS or HDD problem?

Governor

So I have been having some very slow boot up times. This started to happen just yesterday. I usually get stuck at the Welcome screen for about 3-5 minutes and when I do get past that I have a black screen for 1 to 2 minutes. I built my own PC about 2 months ago and had no problems until now. I have a WD Blue 500gb 7200rpm hard drive and have no clue what to do or what's going on. Just before I turned my PC on the first time before this happened I was checking why one of my fans didn't work while my PC was on. Should I have not of done that? Do I have to buy a new HDD? Help?

first think i would do is back up whats ever on your hard drive, to something else

then i would do it run "HD Tune" and do a full error scan, might take 30 mins to 1 hour or longer, and if any red come up, then its the drive

report back after you have done that

make sure to back up what ever is important first

Just as perplex said back up before anything else and you might want to check if there was any update to your drivers and you might have a bad case of drivers bugs crawling in your system

Okay will do but some new problems has occurred. The User account control. If I select yes the gray lighting effect stays and freezes the screen but the audio keeps working. If I press CTRL ALT DEL to go to the task manager it makes my computer slow x10 and everything becomes unresponsive. Pretty much every site I load takes minutes to load to not at all and every application I use it some times pops up as High disk usage from Norton. I have not been able to play most of my games and not been able to install updates for them or download things.

UPDATE: when i do get to access my task manager and i go into performance this is what it shows http://gyazo.com/b4c8e4d21bd7c5b4c3746fba477d3dbb

I'm pretty sure 0% CPU usage isn't supposed to be there. And when it's not 0 its 1-9 and sometimes 10 or 12%.