Need Help!!!

Hey guys im planning to use Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P motherboard with i5-6600k with Cooler Master Hyper 212X CPU Cooler do you guys know if i can overclock the 6600k to 4.5ghz? Will the motherboard hold up or should i change my CPU cooler? Or should i pick another motherboard? Thanks in advance for your help guy's!!!!

That's a $30 cooler and you want to overclock an entire 1 GHz? Yeah, good luck buddy.

Also your motherboard doesn't support overclocking, FYI.

5 minutes ago, Jed M said:

That's a $30 cooler and you want to overclock an entire 1 GHz? Yeah, good luck buddy.

Also your motherboard doesn't support overclocking, FYI.

^ What he said. Get the ASUS Z170-AR, I have it and it allows for overclocking. For cooling, I also have that same cooler, but I have not overclocked. The cooler is okay for overclocking, but I'm not sure to that extent.

8 minutes ago, SaylorTwift1196 said:

Hey guys im planning to use Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P motherboard with i5-6600k with Cooler Master Hyper 212X CPU Cooler do you guys know if i can overclock the 6600k to 4.5ghz?

Crystalball.gif

You may be able to get it, or you may not. Personally, I'd be expecting not to get there (mine stopped at 4263mhz with a similar cooler due to thermal / voltage limitation). Expect to get 4.2~4.3ghz. Anything other that is bnous that you should be VERY happy about.

9 minutes ago, SaylorTwift1196 said:

should i change my CPU cooler?

Can you actually afford a better cooler? If so, why not get it in the first place?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Thanks for your help guys i was planning on swaping my mobo with Asus Z170-A and i wath kyle's channel (BitWit) and the Cooler Master Hyper 212X is good for overclocking and im on a tight budget too.

12 minutes ago, SaylorTwift1196 said:

Thanks for your help guys i was planning on swaping my mobo with Asus Z170-A and i wath kyle's channel (BitWit) and the Cooler Master Hyper 212X is good for overclocking and im on a tight budget too.

You know any Z170 mobo can overclock, right? There was nothing wrong with the first one you picked. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

24 minutes ago, SaylorTwift1196 said:

The 212 evo will be pretty much the same as the 212x, but are decent coolers and can dissipate enough heat for an overclocked i5, really don't change anything and see how much it can oc first.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

4.5ghz is possible but it will depend on your luck with the chip.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.