How to download a copy of El Capitan on El Capitan

Go to solution Solved by Master Disaster,
6 minutes ago, Anshul Gumber said:

Hi Previously i was able to download copy of  El Capitan on my mac but now after sierra is in app store so now El Capitan is vanished from the app store is there any way to download a copy of El Capitan. I want to do a fresh installation and don't want to upgrade to sierra due to slow rendering .  

Sorry, once Apple release the next version they remove the previous one entirely. Your only chance is to hit the darker parts of the web in the hopes of finding an unmolested DMG (they're actually pretty easy to find). 

I believe they also made it so once you install Sierra onto your Mac the .app file is deleted and the store won't let you re download it again in an effort to curb Hackintoshing. 

Hi Previously i was able to download copy of  El Capitan on my mac but now after sierra is in app store so now El Capitan is vanished from the app store is there any way to download a copy of El Capitan. I want to do a fresh installation and don't want to upgrade to sierra due to slow rendering .  

6 minutes ago, Anshul Gumber said:

Sorry, once Apple release the next version they remove the previous one entirely. Your only chance is to hit the darker parts of the web in the hopes of finding an unmolested DMG (they're actually pretty easy to find). 

I believe they also made it so once you install Sierra onto your Mac the .app file is deleted and the store won't let you re download it again in an effort to curb Hackintoshing. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

So i short now legally i can't download El Capitan again. Am i right? 

12 minutes ago, Anshul Gumber said:

I think Apple has changed their stance on providing the installation file download for previous versions of OSX on their App store.  I also recall being able to download Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion installation DMG files but now I don't see them.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Just now, Anshul Gumber said:

So i short now legally i can't download El Capitan again. Am i right? 

Oh no, I don't think it's illegal for you to torrent a copy of El Cap if you own it legitimately.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Oh no, I don't think it's illegal for you to torrent a copy of El Cap if you own it legitimately.

Ok thanks would go for a torrent in that case . You  are right if i am owner of mac and paid price for macbook including mac os so it might be legal for me. Thanks for the help

Well, I mean there's always the PC Masterrace you know...

Every download edition of OS X since Lion auto-deleted the installer after installation but you could always backup the file before launching it.

If you had downloaded it from the AppStore it'll remain in your purchased list, I've used that list to download updated full installers of Yosemite & El Capitan to keep a USB install stick updated for emergency/restore reasons.