Building a PC

MARINE_TIGER

Ok so I posted a build 2 weeks ago but it was out dated. 

What I want to know about my new build us if everything is compatible, what I can change(if anything),and if I am missing anything (audio card, wired connection adapters, ect.) and what OS should I get?

This PC will be used for gaming, streaming, YouTube video producing, video rendering. 

If it is in the build it is what I want/need to my knowledge ( # of monitors, peripherals). 

All help is welcome. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/MARINE_TIGER/saved/TcHNGX

Everything listed looks compatible. Only thing is that power supply is probably a bit overkill. For that system, given the GPU chosen, something in the 500-600W range would be more than sufficient. Also since that board can do 64GB of RAM, maybe consider 2 16GB vs the 4 8GB to allow for expansion at a later date. 

rmurad38

i7 6700k | 32GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 | ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming | Zotac GTX1070 FE | Samsung 950 Pro 256MB M.2 SSD | SanDisk X400 1TB SSD | Noctua NH-U9S Cooler | EVGA Hadron Air

26 minutes ago, MARINE_TIGER said:

The i7 6700 is probably more than enough for your needs, if you want top quality streaming you'll want a secondary PC to do all the work, plus less heat so it'll need less fan speed/noise ect, it already turbos to 4ghz as well

Also for that budget you could easily go X99 which is going to be better for streaming as well, better than getting a 6700K anyways

3 displays is going to be better for productivity and streaming, these are 3 1080p 75hz TN free-sync displays, mostly there for display port making multi-monitor easy

Why are you getting that case exactly? and that cooler?

get a silence focused case like the Define S, because silence is golden for streaming, hence the way overkill CPU cooler, probably not needed really a hyper 212 with a fan controller is going to be enough for the 65W TDP, though I wouldn't get one with a window because the point of the define S should be silence

Get a solid USB microphone, even an entry level one like a Samson GO mic is leagues better than a headset

You may want a hardware fan controller for total control over your fans and PC noise

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811992012

140mm fans because those fans are pretty nice, and can be used in 120mm fan places

Also don't buy a 3TB Seagate drive, WD red, or better yet get one of the $150 Hitachi 4TB drives

Also don't get an OEM copy of windows because it only works once basically although you can run windows 10 for free by just downloading the ISO

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Mvmv4C
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Mvmv4C/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($294.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($70.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B150M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($63.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Mushkin ECO3 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($108.69 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 470 4GB HS Triple X Video Card  ($204.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($77.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: Fractal Design HF14-BK 118.2 CFM  140mm Fan  ($13.99 @ NCIX US)
Case Fan: Fractal Design HF14-BK 118.2 CFM  140mm Fan  ($13.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: AOC G2260VWQ6 21.5" 75Hz Monitor  ($119.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1402.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-29 01:42 EDT-0400

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Build looks good!

Personal opinions however:

• If you plan to overclock I recommend a more powerful cooler, like an AIO 240/280mm or a D15/Dark Rock (Pro) 3 if you want aircoolers.
  • I feel like you went all out on everything except the.. GPU? I suggest you get a 1070 instead of a 1060, strech that budget or maybe drop to 16GB RAM? 32GB is WAY out there, you'll never use that much.
  • That case is beloved, but I find it ugly and overpriced. You can find better cases for less money, may I suggest the H440, Corsair Carbide Air 540, Fractal design R5 (Any model of it) and the Corsair 760T white edition!
  • For a better gaming experience I recommend a mechanical keyboard, most people on this forum would too. But in the end it's up to your personal preference.
  • You'd also do fine with a 550w or a 650w if you want headroom. Stick to that brand and model though.

So if you go to 16GB RAM, an EQUALLY GOOD but cheaper chassi, and a lesser wattage PSU I'm sure you'll be able to get a 1070 to crank up a few extra FPS, it will totally be worth it.

And I can't stress the fact enough that you should get a better cooler IF YOU OVERCLOCK, you really don't want too high temps.

9 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

Build looks good!

• If you plan to overclock I recommend a more powerful cooler, like an AIO 240/280mm or a D15/Dark Rock (Pro) 3 if you want aircoolers.
  • I feel like you went all out on everything except the.. GPU? I suggest you get a 1070 instead of a 1060, strech that budget or maybe drop to 16GB RAM? 32GB is WAY out there, you'll never use that much.
  • That case is beloved, but I find it ugly and overpriced. You can find better cases for less money, may I suggest the H440, Corsair Carbide Air 540, Fractal design R5 (Any model of it) and the Corsair 760T white edition!
  • For a better gaming experience I recommend a mechanical keyboard, most people on this forum would too. But in the end it's up to your personal preference.
  • You'd also do fine with a 550w or a 650w if you want headroom. Stick to that brand and model though.

So if you go to 16GB RAM, an EQUALLY GOOD but cheaper chassi, and a lesser wattage PSU I'm sure you'll be able to get a 1070 to crank up a few extra FPS, it will totally be worth it.

And I can't stress the fact enough that you should get a better cooler IF YOU OVERCLOCK, you really don't want too high temps.

I have looked At many cases but I keep coming back to this style (phantom series?). I don't particularly like perfect square cases. I don't know why. 

1 minute ago, MARINE_TIGER said:

I have looked At many cases but I keep coming back to this style (phantom series?). I don't particularly like perfect square cases. I don't know why. 

Are you going to be starting at your PC case 24/7 marveling at it's beauty? if not then why bother worrying about it, go for silence over anything else

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Are you going to be starting at your PC case 24/7 marveling at it's beauty? if not then why bother worrying about it, go for silence over anything else

For many people if not most it does matter a lot. There is something psychological about having a really good looking pc that makes you appreciate your new build you spent all that money on even more. The same reason many people go with custom water cooling loops, most of them dont do it because they need it to keep their CPUs from overheating. That is one of the things that is so great about building PCs, you have control over how it looks. 

However, I don't speak for everyone, and I assume you don't care about it much. 

Just now, Streetguru said:

Are you going to be starting at your PC case 24/7 marveling at it's beauty? if not then why bother worrying about it

No, and I know I won't but the square cases just bug me their to "perfect" I don't like "perfect" because it is non existent. Maybe is the OCD or maybe it's the artist in me, IDK but it annoys the fuck out of me, they just don't look as good to me. 

18 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

Build looks good!

I don't plan on over clocking (yet). I am interested in aio water coolers, but, one of my friends told me its not if but when will it start leaking. Is there aio that "don't ever leak" or what. That is my only concern. 

1 minute ago, MARINE_TIGER said:

I don't plan on over clocking (yet). I am interested in aio water coolers, but, one of my friends told me its not if but when will it start leaking. Is there aio that "don't ever leak" or what. That is my only concern. 

Even if you don't plan overclocking just now it's still nice to be more than ready whem the time comes.

AIO's are closed, you don't have to refill them unless you open them up to clean them. Leaking is always a risk, but they happen very rarely.

12 minutes ago, carsonwen said:

For many people if not most it does matter a lot. There is something psychological about having a really good looking pc that makes you appreciate your new build you spent all that money on even more. The same reason many people go with custom water cooling loops, most of them dont do it because they need it to keep their CPUs from overheating. That is one of the things that is so great about building PCs, you have control over how it looks. 

However, I don't speak for everyone, and I assume you don't care about it much. 

Most custom loops are for hefty overclocks and less noise though

10 minutes ago, MARINE_TIGER said:

No, and I know I won't but the square cases just bug me their to "perfect" I don't like "perfect" because it is non existent. Maybe is the OCD or maybe it's the artist in me, IDK but it annoys the fuck out of me, they just don't look as good to me. 

Then I don't know man, PC components are square it's why all the cases are square, aside from cost saving measures, you could get a Manta Case but it's ITX, although it's huge ITX

Or get a master case 5 as it's just fully modular, kind of case labs, case labs is about the best but it's super expensive

5 minutes ago, MARINE_TIGER said:

No point in that if you aren't overclocking, good AIOs rarely leak

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

Even if you don't plan overclocking just now it's still nice to be more than ready whem the time comes.

AIO's are closed, you don't have to refill them unless you open them up to clean them. Leaking is always a risk, but they happen very rarely.

Don't most manufacturers of a such a "risky" product, cover the cost of broken/ruined parts caused by a failure from their product?

6 minutes ago, MARINE_TIGER said:

Don't most manufacturers of a such a "risky" product, cover the cost of broken/ruined parts caused by a failure from their product?

Good one, they'll replace the AIO, but really it's rare to have a leak with the major manufactures, but really a noctua cooler is fine for less money, AIOs like that are only really good for small form factor builds mostly or super high end overclocking

about the best current 240mm is the

Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 240

ya stupid name

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sqmxFT/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-mlyd24ma20mbr1

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, MARINE_TIGER said:

Corsairs H100i GTX or NZXT Kraken will not break, they're quality products.

11 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Most custom loops are for hefty overclocks and less noise though

Im not sure if I would say "most", i am sure a good amount of them are.

If custom loops were ugly or looked identical to AIOs or maybe even worse, would there still be the same amount of people going custom loop? I highly doubt it.

Im willing to bet that the vast majority of custom loop builds are running the same overclocks that everyone else is running. 4.5 - 4.8 GHz on a 6700k for example. In which case a 360mm AIO is more than sufficient. As for GPU clocks we are not limited by temps anymore.

Then there is hard line loops... which is pure looks.

EDIT: sorry, got off topic

How would I cool a gpu with a aio (with out voiding warranty) or how would I cool my gpu.