Deciding on buying the vive now. Advice please!

Armakar

I just wanted to get some peoples opinions on wether I should buy the vive or not.

Just so everyone is clear - I am not strapped for cash. Spending £800 on this is not a problem , however I am not rich either and I would not want to spent £800 on this just to get bored after 5 minutes.

I ordered the vive from Scan and it's due delivery today. I cancelled it because I read some  reviews saying it gets boring and the games are basic. Now, I read more reviews, and after seeing some better games I am questioning wether I should contact Scan and cancel my cancellation so I can still get it delivered today.

I am looking for a new game to play. I typically play League, sometimes WoW, Hearthstone, H1Z1 and  rarely Garry's Mod. I don't find simple, singleplayer games that fun. Usually if I am playing a paticularly grindy game, like WoW, I will be watching netflix or something to stop myself getting bored. I have a very high tolerance for games and I get bored much faster then anyone I know.

So does this mean i'm not suited for the vive? What attracts me to the vive is that I have never seen anyone say anything other then " It was completely mind-blowing "  when they try it. Many people say that even after months of owning it they still crave more of it,  and that sounds like something I would be interested in. Then again, the gaming community seems to overhype things far, far too much.

No man's sky, Fallout 4, The Divison, The Witcher 3, Starwars Battlefront, all of these games I knew were overhyped and would die out quickly. Is this the case with the Vive? Will it die out and be forgottten about?

All the titles for the vive are expensive, offer no trials, and as far as i know, are extremely simple games where there is often only 1 thing to do - shoot waves of AI enemies. I noticed games like Hover Junkers and that one war game look quite good - but are they things I can play every day? I wouldn't be buying this if it was just something i'd pick up every now and then. The vive to me needs to offer to fill the hour long gap I have when I am wasting time browsing Reddit. Are there games available that are beyond shooting AI's ?

The last thing that concerns me is the actual tech in this thing. While it's advertised as groundbreaking - is it? To me, it seems like it's a decent res screen glued onto some motion sensors with camera tracking. Haven't we been able to make that for... 10 years? Why is the vive so " ground breaking? Will this technology be succeeded? Like I said, it doesn't seem particularly ground breaking technology - this is displayed paticularly with Samsung's VR - most phones already have many of the sensors in the Vive - so next year will a new headset that costs half the price be released that has a much better platform? Is the current vive worthwile? Futureproof? Can the technology support triple A?

So, yeah!

TL;DR

On one end, I want the vive because everyone says it is truly groundbreaking and immersive , and even the most simple of games are lots of fun. I get bored fast.

On the other end, games look shit and boring. No triple A's. Technology doesn't seem that immersive - what makes it so " immersive " ?

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

Oculus Rift completely blew my mind the first time I tried it.  The Vive is even more mind blowing.  Still, there is lots of room for polish and not that many games and games are expensive.  If you want to buy one, dive right in.  You will like it, but expect to spend a lot on games.  Don't listen to the nay sayers - VR is really awesome.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Very little games have good content in VR. but man, it's so cool, and you wont put it down until you've sucked a game bone-dry of content (which honestly wont be that hard to do)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

18 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

Imo VR isn't worth it until you can move around in game by walking irl. And most VR games are basically tech demos. imo. 

So your saying it will get boring?

Not going to lie, im a textboot shutin. I do fuck all all day and have alot of sprea time. Chances are I willl be playing -alot- of VR. Do you think i'll get bored fast then?

Main Rig

6 minutes ago, starwarsguy99 said:

Not to mention, you need to make sure your computer is good enough to run it..

Not a problem. gtx 1070 + i7 6700k

Main Rig

Just now, Armakar said:

Not a problem. gtx 1070 + i7 6700k

Nice, I think the vive is cool, but the game selection is a bit small rn, it might get better later?

20 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

Imo VR isn't worth it until you can move around in game by walking irl. And most VR games are basically tech demos. imo. 

Do you think  it would get better when newer hardware comes out? Does the vive actually support triple A games, or was this specific headset just made to be a entry-level development kit? 

Main Rig

Save the 800$ for a generation 2

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

It's not a dev kit, it's a legit consumer device.  

Rumors are that Vive will release a refresh design this fall.  You should wait a couple months and see what happens.  It won't be a completely new product, more like a Vive version 1.5.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build