New Mobo or vrm cooling?

My motherboard isn't working with my 8350 because it's throttling, do I get something to cool the vrm or do I get another motherboard?

i have no idea which motherboard to get, I need one under $110

6 minutes ago, Patrick molloy said:

My motherboard isn't working with my 8350 because it's throttling, do I get something to cool the vrm or do I get another motherboard?

Motherboard is? 

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

10 minutes ago, Patrick molloy said:

Depends on what motherboard you have currently. If it's bad enough all the extra cooling won't help much. 8350s are often trouble when paired with 700 series chipsets and anything else under a high quality 970 board like the MSI 970 Gaming. 990X and 990FX based boards are really what you need to have.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

If i upgrade to Intel then I have to get a new motherboard

Are you saying I Should get the Msi 970 gaming Mobo?

5 minutes ago, Patrick molloy said:

I've got the Asrock 970 extreme 3

In that case yes, extra VRM cooling will help in keeping an 8350 at stock, but anything higher and it'll fail fast. They "support" 8 core FX series officially, doesn't mean they do it well unfortunately.

There's cases where even an FX 6100 causes the VRM to overheat on the Extreme 3.

Just now, Patrick molloy said:

Are you saying I Should get the Msi 970 gaming Mobo?

I was using it as an example, but yeah it's not a bad choice. You can get that one or any newer 990X or 990FX board really. The 970 Gaming has been pretty effective for the price in the past though. 

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Patrick molloy said:

Do you know a specific motherboard for under $110 that won't throttle the 8350?

describe your throttling, what games are you playing, what do clockspeeds look like in game?

5 minutes ago, LeStringMan said:

describe your throttling, what games are you playing, what do clockspeeds look like in game?

The cpu gets to around 65 degrees and that's when the frame rate drop happens, I've tested bf4, no mans sky, h1z1 and I've run cpu based benchmarks.

5 minutes ago, Patrick molloy said:

The cpu gets to around 65 degrees and that's when the frame rate drop happens, I've tested bf4, no mans sky, h1z1 and I've run cpu based benchmarks.

Where are you getting cpu temps from? AMD recommends 61c max, going over that occasionally will not hurt it, but try and stay under 70c.

3 minutes ago, Patrick molloy said:

So Msi 970 gaming will fix my throttling?

This is a much better board if you can fit it in your budget, MSI's am3+ board are pretty bad, Also I would try disabling TurboCore and APM in your bios, as that's likely the source of your throttling, but more info is needed to help you. AMD cpu's can only turbo half of their cores to the boost speed, when they do that the other half of the cores drop to 1.4 ghz, and all cores briefly drop to 3.0 ghz, which causes massive stutters, and look like throttling when monitoring cpu usage in game.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2F84D69066&cm_re=asus_970_pro_gaming-_-13-132-713-_-Product

14 minutes ago, Patrick molloy said:

So Msi 970 gaming will fix my throttling?

It's far from clear unless you find out what's causing it. VRM heat will increase CPU temperatures, especially socket ones (not so much core temps, hence you see large differences between socket and core temps). But if you are running the 8350 at stock speeds, it shouldn't be happening. On the other hand, the CPU can overheat even if the VRMs are fine, and since you are hitting the thermal limit, I would check which cooler are you using and whether it is correctly in place, without dried out thermal paste, etc. Replacing the cooler, not to mention simply re-seating it, is much cheaper than replacing the motherboard, and it could be all you really need.

IF VRM temperatures are indeed the problem, then you can consider cooling them with a spot fan or something first, and only if that fails going through the trouble of spending mor emoney on an AM3+ mobo.

12 minutes ago, LeStringMan said:

This is a much better board if you can fit it in your budget, MSI's am3+ board are pretty bad,

There are many details, features, and gimmicks you may like better or worse from different boards, but the MSI is already more than he needs to just run the 8350 at stock speeds. His current board is not designed for the 125W 8-core CPUS (none is in the supported list, only 6-core 125W are supported), but for example the Extreme4 would already be enough. Higher than that is a matter of preferences and wallets.

I've disabled all the crap in the bios and I'm pretty sure it's not the cpu cooler because I've readjusted it and reapplied thermal paste, I also swapped my brothers cpu to confirm my motherboard was the problem.

whats the verdict? What do I do?

On 9/28/2016 at 7:46 PM, SpaceGhostC2C said:

There are many details, features, and gimmicks you may like better or worse from different boards, but the MSI is already more than he needs to just run the 8350 at stock speeds. His current board is not designed for the 125W 8-core CPUS (none is in the supported list, only 6-core 125W are supported), but for example the Extreme4 would already be enough. Higher than that is a matter of preferences and wallets.

The 970 gaming is not only outdated, but has an awful doubled 3+1 phase, just go look at the chokes on the board, they're literally chokes off a gpu, its a shit board, and with products like the ASRock 970A-G3.1 on the market for a lower price, with the same digital vrm controller as your 970 performance you were literally just praising a day or two ago, why in gods name would you recommend anyone buy a MSI 970 Gaming? It was an inferior board when it came out, and its an inferior board now. Period.

On 9/28/2016 at 7:56 PM, Patrick molloy said:

I've disabled all the crap in the bios and I'm pretty sure it's not the cpu cooler because I've readjusted it and reapplied thermal paste, I also swapped my brothers cpu to confirm my motherboard was the problem.

You made sure TurboCore and APM are off right?

18 minutes ago, LeStringMan said:

The 970 gaming is not only outdated, but has an awful doubled 3+1 phase, just go look at the chokes on the board, they're literally chokes off a gpu, its a shit board, and with products like the ASRock 970A-G3.1 on the market for a lower price, with the same digital vrm controller as your 970 performance you were literally just praising a day or two ago, why in gods name would you recommend anyone buy a MSI 970 Gaming? It was an inferior board when it came out, and its an inferior board now. Period.

I actually didn't recommend the MSI board, it was someone else. I just stated that if he eventually has no choice but to replace the motherboard, verified support for the 8350 at stock speeds starts much cheaper than the gaming board, and most of the differences will show up when overclocking on in onboard components.

30 minutes ago, Patrick molloy said:

I don't fully get how you excluded the cooler, but taking your word for it, and considering your motherboard doesn't officially support the 8350, you may need to get a board that does.

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I actually didn't recommend the MSI board, it was someone else. I just stated that if he eventually has no choice but to replace the motherboard, verified support for the 8350 at stock speeds starts much cheaper than the gaming board, and most of the differences will show up when overclocking on in onboard components.

Then what's the point of calling out another user for recommending a blatantly better motherboard, that fits his 110 dollar budget?

so there's no budget motherboards that will efficiently support the 8350, also I'll have another check in bios

1 minute ago, Patrick molloy said:

so there's no budget motherboards that will efficiently support the 8350, also I'll have another check in bios

Your budget is $110 right?, the MSI 970 board would be fine also, I was just pointing out that it's outdated and overpriced at this current time, so it's very hard to recommend.

Decent board that would allow moderate overclocking, has newer features like m.2, and usb 3.1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157688&cm_re=asrock_970-_-13-157-688-_-Product 

This board like the MSI 970 is quite old, but this board has much better power delivery than the MSI if you wish to overclock

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128651&cm_re=gigabyte_970a-ud3p-_-13-128-651-_-Product

Again old, but still a solid board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131873&cm_re=asus_970-_-13-131-873-_-Product

If you want the absolute cheapest to get it running.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157582&cm_re=asrock_970-_-13-157-582-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128565&cm_re=ga-78lmt-usb3-_-13-128-565-_-Product

17 minutes ago, LeStringMan said:

Then what's the point of calling out another user for recommending a blatantly better motherboard, that fits his 110 dollar budget?

Calling out? I don't follow you, man. But I won't quote you if you don't want to.

6 minutes ago, Patrick molloy said:

There are some, and then there are better boards. But always check at least for official compatibility at the manufacturer's websites (they usually provide a CPU support list for each mother), don't get anything that doesn't list the 8350. Manufacturer's can sometimes claim too much, but at least you are ensuring they will take the mb back if something goes wrong. Prefer 8+2 power phase boards, although some 4+2 will be officially compatible.

I think I'm just going to put my hyper evo 212 over my vrm heat sink and use my stock cooler for my cpu and see if it works.

I couldn't cool the vrm now what :/